TNA: It still exists, kind of!

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Morten VH

Re: TNA 2015: It still exists, kind of!

Post by Morten VH » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:27 pm

Oh i agree it's not gonna bring in a lot of money in terms of houses or viewership. But it looks much better from a name value standpoint, when you're gonna negotiate with a new network. The Hardy name still has some value in that regard. EC3 and Galloway not so much.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:34 pm

Killed the review, Kidney.

One of the best in the biz.

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:39 am

Rah wrote:Not sure how much money that's going to bring when The Hardy Boys were both on top, in the Carolinas, and BFG (supposedly) drew 280 paying fans.
This is pretty much a scathing indictment of TNA. The Hardy's have been able to get turn away crowds for their OMEGA shows in the Carolinas, and that's without any TV. There's no reason for them to not do better business with TNA, and the fact that they can't really shows, again, how inept TNA is.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:17 pm

When is the actual last DA broadcast?

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:17 pm

I wish I could say Fray is joking... but he's not.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:25 pm

I'm at a loss for words...

Rottenrocker

Post by Rottenrocker » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:02 pm

https://youtu.be/kyK0Mn6HkZA

This is comedy gold! :lol:

Not to the dozen fans who bought BFG however.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:06 pm

Putting aside the bizarre way they're choosing to handle this, what was the better option?

- Matt wins the title and some convoluted off screen thing happens to reset the title back to ECW
- EC3 keeps the title at the PPV and the PPV buyers don't get the happy ending

I think TNA fans (and wrestling fans in general) have shown a willingness to overlook big pictures problems for small moments of happiness so maybe Matt winning was the right thing to do, even if it meant stupidity later?

The real answer might "have a clue of what you're doing before hand so you don't create a mess like this" but that is the story of TNA.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:31 am

I'm gonna go with your final point. As I always say, this is pro wrestling, you book it... There should never be no-win situations like they were in this Sunday.

Jareddatdude

Post by Jareddatdude » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:27 am

What in the hell is going on with TNA? They book Hardy last minute in their WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP match. They barley built said match to begin with(2 weeks to build your biggest match on your biggest show, c'mon). Then they vacate the title not barely 2 days after the show because of storylines. Again what in the actual fuck is going on with TNA! I would love to see how the Big Dawg tries to flip this as a positive

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:58 am

There's really no defending the stupidity here. Sure they were left no other options. But it's completely at their own faults that they even ended here. They're the ones who booked themselves in this position to begin with. That falls on sheer idiocy on TNA management. There is no defending this, and the only reason this isn't a bigger deal, is because TNA has does so much shit in the past that this pales in comparison. But this is an absolute embarrassment to watch. A complete trainwreck.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:46 am

- This week, I'd like to focus on the world title situation that has every TNA fan seemingly talking about two days later, which I imagine is a strong indication that the company ultimately made the right decision to put the belt on Matt Hardy in the manner that they did. I was initially uncertain about the decision simply because I wasn't a fan of the writers taking the belt off Ethan Carter III, the company's hottest young star, and putting it around the waist of Matt Hardy, a likable enough veteran who didn't quite earn his spot into the main event at Bound for Glory. But therein lies the brilliance of this decision. Many TNA fans were uneasy about the decision by the company to, one, add Matt Hardy to the main event and, two, make his brother the special guest referee. It simply never sat right with me and many others. And it's that feeling of discontent that the writers exploited when the very thing that we were so uneasy about materialized right before our very eyes. In a shocking turn of events, Matt Hardy became the TNA world heavyweight champion, and he did so in large part due to Jeff Hardy's actions against EC3. It was a screwjob. The Hardys screwed EC3. And we were completely baffled by it all.

- By the next morning, however, the company's plan began take shape, and TNA fans responded by making their voices heard and taking sides. Many seemed to feel that Dixie Carter unfairly stacked the deck against her nephew, while others were perfectly fine with EC3 getting his comeuppance. I was on the side of the former and I'll tell you why. I'm not sure what Dixie Carter's plan was and whether or not it involved the Hardys but in her attempt to teach EC3 a lesson, she caused us to feel sympathy for him. Many of us felt that EC3 was wronged on Sunday night, and by Monday morning we rallied to his side. To us, Matt Hardy's win was tainted and we wanted him stripped of the belt. And then came EC3's announcement...

- I thought the decision to seek legal action by Ethan Carter III was very smart character continuity simply because he has shown in the past that he resorts to tactics that only someone who's entitled and rich would resort to. This is his modus operandi and always has been. In all honesty, I initially assumed that he'd meet with TNA's board of directors but he felt it was necessary to take it one step further and involve the courts. This indicates to me that EC3 seeked to not only get back what he believes is rightfully his but also to humiliate TNA, Dixie Carter, and the Hardys, as well as disrupt the company's plans for the foreseeable future. This is a man scorned. Or shall I say, a spoiled rich kid.

- And it worked. Late Tuesday afternoon, Matt Hardy, as was requested by Dixie Carter, relinquished the TNA world championship, and has essentially set up a situation in which the company will have to decide how to proceed. Dixie Carter can, and should, return the title to EC3 or...book a tournament to crown a new champion. My gut tells me that Dixie, who has shown in the past that she's every bit as obstinate as her nephew, will force EC3 to regain the belt by competing for it. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out tonight on Impact and quite frankly, I think it's important to give the TNA writing team kudos for making tonight's episode and the ones following must-watch television. Some might say that they planned this last minute but from the looks of it, it's been in the works at least since July. For a company that doesn't get enough credit for their long term planning, they really hit a home run with this latest controversy. And as a result, I can't wait to watch tonight's Impact to see what happens next.
From Mecca. This is insane.

Rah

Post by Rah » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:19 am

Apart from not booking themselves into a mess (which was clearly a knee-jerk reaction to try sell more tickets), they could have switched out the order. Sure, world title matches should go on last, but it was effectively Angle's retirement match. There was a month notice that he wasn't resigning, and I'd guess almost equal time that they knew he wasn't wrestling another match. Treat that as the big deal that it is. Don't book a crazy opening match angle where Kurt suffers a concerning neck injury to try leech emotion into a match that was built FOUR DAYS BEFORE ON TWITTER. Make it meaningful, give the rub to a new guy, and have it go on last. There's your go-home feel good moment. Then ECIII winning isn't too much of a concern.
The Fray Movement wrote:So, since TNA has nothing taped for TV that shows Matt Hardy as world champion, they've concocted a storyline on social media where EC3 has had him banned from Impact Wrestling. And TNA's twitter stream all day has just become a mechanism for Dave Lagana to further his story.
According to PWI, TNA has had this in their plans since June.

JUNE

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:07 pm

Two straight Bound for Glory PPVs where their taping schedule has interfered with champions. If you'll recall the X Division title was an absolute mess last year and who had the belt on the PPV had already lost it on TV, etc. I'll be honest, I'm shocked this doesn't happen more with TNA's insane taping schedule.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:56 pm

if you were bored enough like me to read the TNA spoilers,
► Show Spoiler