VOW Flagship: All Out, Royal Quest, TakeOver, Jounalism

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: All Out, Royal Quest, TakeOver, Jounalism

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:40 pm

*DISCLAIMER* This episode was a production nightmare. Multiple segments had to be re-recorded, and there are multiple jump cuts that could not be fixed. Apologies.

Rich is hanging out in ICELAND, but that doesn't mean The Flagship stops. Joe has you covered with reviews of all three major shows from this past weekend, plus an unpleasant message for those of you who don't seem to understand how journalism is supposed to work.

https://redcircle.com/shows/d51cb2eb-ab ... um=twitter

rollup

Re: VOW Flagship: All Out, Royal Quest, TakeOver, Jounalism

Post by rollup » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:06 pm

one thing that joshi gets people invested is the stories they tell. Having a commentary team that unable to narrate to the English audience or constantly harping on their size is not going to help.

End of the day they will just be having matches as a side attraction to the brandi stories lol

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:17 pm

> YOU'RE ABSOLUTE MORONS, MOUTHBREATHERS, IDIOTS, ETC...

Well damn, attack my self respect a little bit more for having a difference of opinion, why don't you. :p

If I didn't take Joe as he was I'd probably be a bit more taken aback at the volume he's expounding at. Is that one of his longer rants or was he just trying to fill time with Kraetch gallivanting off to Iceland?

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:28 pm

Just curious why you feel you're ill-equipped to discuss what you've learned?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:01 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:28 pm
Just curious why you feel you're ill-equipped to discuss what you've learned?
What i've learned are the same dark twitter rumblings everyoene else has heard, with perhaps slightly more detail, and im personally confident they are the accurate ones. But it's not enough to do a story on, and the fallout aspect of it is where I want no part of it, plus I dont know those details. And it's not what we do.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:58 pm

I miss the days of petty VOW flamewars, but you laid out the perfect case for why you can't go there anymore. I think of VOW and wrestling twitter being almost synonymous, but you obviously a ton listeners/readers outside that bubble. The issue to me is that most wrestling "journalists" are fans too, and prob fans first. Talk to a real sports journalist like Damon from the super j cast, dude could give two shits about the Flyers. It's a job for him.

Who would've thought social media manager was such a lucrative career. Rich just out here living like the leisure class.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:39 pm

As VoW's longest running episodic listener, I can say with absolute certainty that I have had zero knowledge of any twitter controversies or hot stories yall have ever spoken of. Like...zero. Absolutely not a one. You just talk about it like everyone knows...but nope. You could be making these beefs up to sell subscriptions for all I know. I just kind of assume what you say is true...knowing Lanza as long as I have, all of these twitter stories sound completely plausible, so I just buy in. Suspend my disbelief if you will.

With that said...maybe thats the problem with wrestling journalism...no one actually cares about most of the shit the smallest segment of twitter really harps on with politicized issues in the world of professional wrestling. Whatever is going on with Kylie Rae, I think I can say that not enough people care for society to dedicate man hours to finding out whatever it is.

Most wrestling media is working for free or running in the red most of the year if not for a shoot job. Only shit that gets clicks on major media outlets on wrestling are "this former wrestler with name value is dead/did something really bad" or the fluff pieces that are produced by your ESPN/CBS types of the world that are trying to just get some SEO clicks.

Just think...this is a multi-billion dollar industry with an incredible amount of bullshit that would never fly in a more regulated industry in regard to labor force treatment and abuses. Yet, no one cares outside of the small bubble of wrestling fans that are privvy to the ins and outs. It doesn't help that this industry is so secretive all of the way down to that labor force. Still living like they are constantly working the marks when the industry has changed so much. So...not only do we have to dedicate man hours to this industry as a societal watchdog but we have to pry it open like an un-steamed clam without a knife? Whats the point? Who is benefitting from this service?

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:25 pm

Ferrante207 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:58 pm
I miss the days of petty VOW flamewars, but you laid out the perfect case for why you can't go there anymore. I think of VOW and wrestling twitter being almost synonymous, but you obviously a ton listeners/readers outside that bubble. The issue to me is that most wrestling "journalists" are fans too, and prob fans first. Talk to a real sports journalist like Damon from the super j cast, dude could give two shits about the Flyers. It's a job for him.

Who would've thought social media manager was such a lucrative career. Rich just out here living like the leisure class.
When you combine my job, my hours of weekly freelance web work, running VOW for 7 years, Patreon, shopping at Aldi, no kids, driving a car without A/C and almost no expensive hobbies... then yes! :lol:

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:31 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:25 pm
Ferrante207 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:58 pm

When you combine my job, my hours of weekly freelance web work, running VOW for 7 years, Patreon, shopping at Aldi, no kids, driving a car without A/C and almost no expensive hobbies... then yes! :lol:
Perhaps living in Miami skews my worldview here...but this is some barbaric shit, brother. Get it together.

no A/C? Jungle Boy Rich Kraetsch over here with his tag team partner Lanzasaurus promoting poverty.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:39 pm

Rich is right though. It's sad it took me until early 30s to learn the "don't buy stupid shit" lesson. (if anyone is interested in wrestling figures or japanese wrestling shirts SIZE L, hmu). Rich what do you do for freelance? My job is scaling back overtime (how I my money) so I'm looking for side hustles.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:25 pm

I do web design/website buildouts/maintenance for a few small businesses in the area. It's annoying at times but somewhat simple work that I can do on the weekends.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:01 am

hotter than Rich's car in July take --

Joe Lanza would love newest Bullet Club member Kona Reeves as the pin eating heavy in a tag team with KENTA during Tag League. KENTA + KONA