Wrestling Omakase #107: NJPW G1 Climax 29 Wrap-Up (Nights 15-19) w/ Sean & Andy

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
IIDXias

Wrestling Omakase #107: NJPW G1 Climax 29 Wrap-Up (Nights 15-19) w/ Sean & Andy

Post by IIDXias » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:34 am

This week on Wrestling Omakase John is joined by returning guests Sean and Andy to break down the last 5 nights of the G1 Climax, talking of course a lot about Naito's elimination but also Jay White, Ibushi's victory, KENTA's heel turn and the return of Shibata, and much more!

Right Click, Save As

BlizzardAcolyte

Re: Wrestling Omakase #107: NJPW G1 Climax 29 Wrap-Up (Nights 15-19) w/ Sean & Andy

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:12 pm

RE: the Naito defense rant

Hey, I think you forgot to mention the part where you think it's nuts that the company consistently plateaus down the guy you consider to be the best wrestler on Earth--and who would be more likely to make the company immediate, noticeable business as ace--in favor of someone who is, as others have said, very divisive work-wise, and is, as of now, only a little proven to be a draw.

I hate how I constantly forget that Andy is a regular guest on this show: he's always very good when he's on, but most of your other guests stick out more because they're so much more...distinct, I guess? Sorry Andy.

IIDXias

Re: Wrestling Omakase #107: NJPW G1 Climax 29 Wrap-Up (Nights 15-19) w/ Sean & Andy

Post by IIDXias » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:15 pm

BlizzardAcolyte wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:12 pm
RE: the Naito defense rant

Hey, I think you forgot to mention the part where you think it's nuts that the company consistently plateaus down the guy you consider to be the best wrestler on Earth--and who would be more likely to make the company immediate, noticeable business as ace--in favor of someone who is, as others have said, very divisive work-wise, and is, as of now, only a little proven to be a draw.
While this is definitely true, I didn't even want to make my rant about that because plenty of people disagree with me on whether or not Naito is the best in the world or if he's the best person to be on top. That's fine, I totally understand that argument. My problem with the reaction to Naito fans has to do with the idea that we're not even allowed to be upset about him falling short yet again when it is a reaction that the company specifically engineers us to have. It's treated like we're making up this whole Naito thing out of thin air and getting behind some scrub and demanding he has an ace run when the company has Naito go out there and push this double title shit since January. It's absurd.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:02 am

Have to agree with the bulk of your Naito argument. Like, I'm not super-crazy about LIJ like some are, but the constant swerving (as in direction, not angle) away from Naito has gotten sour-tasting. Ibushi hasn't really had that great of a storyline push against Okada to justify my storytelling sensibilities.

And I'm 100% on board with Naito winning at WK. The story was there and looking back not a lot in terms of title changes would have happened. Kenny Omega could have beat Naito and then dropped to Tanahashi, creating even more resentment for Naito that they promoted this gaijin who beat him and only wound up leaving the company.