VOW Flagship: G1 Opening Night, Extreme Rules, Fight for the Fallen & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: G1 Opening Night, Extreme Rules, Fight for the Fallen & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:45 pm

An absolutely loaded edition of the Voices of Wrestling Flagship podcast this week as we review NJPW's G1 Climax 29 opening night—a show Joe attended live—an independent wrestling match that caught our eye (PAC vs. Cara Noir from Riptide Wrestling) and a brief recap of the now-infamous Joey Janela vs. Enzo Amore fight from a recent Blink 182 concert.

On the preview end, we look at a huge weekend for wrestling with AEW's Fight for the Fallen, EVOLVE's 10th Anniversary celebration (EVOLVE 131) and WWE Extreme Rules 2019.

We ran out of time on the show proper so our Impact Wrestling Slammiversary review, as well as thoughts on Paco Alonso's passing and Jun Akiyama stepping down as AJPW booker, can be found on The Overrun at http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/patreon.

MP3: https://audioboom.com/posts/7314673-vow ... n-more.mp3

mlev76

Re: VOW Flagship: G1 Opening Night, Extreme Rules, Fight for the Fallen & more!

Post by mlev76 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:59 am

Am I imagining things or did you completely skip the Kofi/Joe match?

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:26 am

mlev76 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:59 am
Am I imagining things or did you completely skip the Kofi/Joe match?
Nah we touched on it for like 15 seconds. Joe said "What do you want me to say?" and then we mentioned that Joe lost up and how NJPW does it all the time and that annoys us too.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:01 pm

First time seeing riptide. Not a production guy at all but theirs is brilliant. Do they normally have no commentary or was this a one off

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:30 pm

Coke Zero > Diet Coke. I probably drink 3 to 6 of those a day and it likely lead to my death in my 50s. Also no need to make everyone conform and drink the same soda. My folks drink Diet Pepsi and sister drinks Diet Coke so when I was younger I learned to find all the soda deals I could to just stock up as if the apocalypse was approaching.

Joe screaming Burn It Down and then immediately snapping back and talking normal needs to be the intro sound bite for the Thursday tv reviews. I have never laughed harder at this podcast than in that moment.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:10 pm

I've only seen a few Riptide matches but I love their production as well. I think the last one I watched was Jinny vs Jimmy Havoc, not normally an intergender type of gal myself but I love both of them and the story was great, so I did enjoy the match a lot, and the production added to the story. I've yet to see the Noir vs PAC match but I have seen Noir in RevPro, both live and on tape. He seemed somewhat green when I saw him, but totally owned the gimmick and was a crowd favorite. He's also a fave of my non-fan friend who's seen some wrestling in the UK.

Not to nitpick, but Noir's gimmick is literally Black Swan from the ballet Swan Lake. "It's not ballet" is said of wrestling but of course, ballet is a similarly physically demanding effort with gruesome injuries and a cruel industry, you can draw some pretty easy parallels. Of course there's a lot of wrestling characters in there, too, but the main visual influence is ballet.

I'm so excited about AEW's card this weekend. I agree pretty much everything Cody has been awesome in this promotion thus far; it's really remarkable how he has taken everything he wants to do in pro wrestling and married it with what the modern fan wants to see.

FilipPejic

Post by FilipPejic » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:12 pm

Great podcast as usual guys just want to say though Sean Maluta I don’t believe is under wwe contract I think he s just only being used as a job guy for nxt or 205 live
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:25 pm

RE: "But they won't, because this is Ring of Honor these days"

Actually, I assumed it's because some of the people in charge knew they were screwed if the Elite ever left, knew they were always gonna be the bride in the ROH-NJPW relationship because it's New Japan and they're not, and have been trying to milk as much business as they can out of both things, figuring that whenever the ship starts to sink, they'll be able to make out like bandits and land somewhere else later anyways. If you're someone in Sinclaire and tied to this promotion, ROH dying wouldn't affect you in the grand scheme of things anyway--you'll just be re-assigned to somewhere else in the company. Do hope someone in the know can tell me otherwise and demonstrate that, in all likelihood, those same people will be firmly tied to said ship once it full disappears into the brackish waters, though.