VOW Flagship: The Fiend, New TV Landscape, NJPW, ROH

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
suplexberry

Re: VOW Flagship: The Fiend, New TV Landscape, NJPW, ROH

Post by suplexberry » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:28 pm

Yeah, I suppose you never know what kind of wrestlers these guys make without that structure, especially guys who have only ever been in that structure. I believe Bray is one of those guys, Dolph Ziggler, too. Damien Sandow was one I really thought would be able to put the work in on the indies to make something of his character work - that's sorely lacking on the scene, especially during the time he was released. But he did .. what, two indy dates and went home? I think all in all Bray has been super-lucky with his ample opportunities to try out gimmicks, but who knows whether there were twenty writers spoiling his vision along the way.

That actually reminds me, I think AEW's true ace up their sleeve is not the much touted match quality but story. I think something like the Cody style, old school meets new school type of in-ring that is heavy on the character, story and less on the athleticism, is what is missing from NXT and WWE main roster alike. Athleticism is fantastic, you are always going to draw people in with that, but story is what gets them to stick around week to week. NXT can pump up the matches and even the star power, but hopefully AEW will excel with putting on some good matches and having compelling characters with good stories. I especially miss stories that end in an episode. Like a mini-arc of a character wanting to get X, facing some obstacles and either getting X or failing, but having been changed by that journey anyway.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:29 pm

Re: The Rock discussion

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:16 pm

The Fiend is that perfect "they got something here" which arouses people that there will be a tonal shift in some way. Promos that toe the line of "real life commentary" while not completely tearing down the 4th wall, a bit of menace in there, etc.

But it's Bray in a mask. Doing the mandible claw. The lean into the camp instead of the "real" because when they do the later, they inevitably go to some meta commentary about the company being the hero.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:52 pm

suplexberry wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:21 pm
Also, damn that list of 2017 Young Lions is grim. I don't know what's happened. I know some guys just won't be able to or willing to withstand the grind of the dojo schedule. But still feels odd that Kawato has just flat out disappeared. Like, I know this kid probably wasn't gonna light up the world after that awful Mexico excursion ..but you can put him under a mask and have him fill tags as the New Captain New Japan for the next 40 years and the crowd will at least enjoy him. (Did I just wish that fate on a kid? I'm just saying, there's always a spot to be filled.)
While that spot's always there, the difference between these two is that Hirasawa very quickly came off as someone who was happy to simply run with whatever ball the company gave him to run with (see: the Hideo Saito run); Kawato always came off as someone pre-excursion who was GUNNING to become somebody in the junior division. No matter what, Kawato should NOT get that role until he's gotten a couple of years back home to show what he can do in a style he's clearly more comfortable with; same goes for Oka, unless the Great Okharn was his idea and he wants to simply bring anime into NJPW.I strongly suspect both will come back for the New Beginning tour and have return matches at New Year's Dash, each in a unit and completely different from whatever they're doing now.

Separate note: you don't know how old Rich made me feel by calling DVR "old-school" tech--bitch, you never used a black box or VCR?

Other separate note: would anyone on here with the inside track be able to legitimately give any info on why King & Cobb are in the pre-show? (I suspect I know the reasons why, but any elaboration on it would be helpful.)

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:27 pm

Monday tv made it worse

The Funhouse exists in the arena instead of inside Bray

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:26 pm

Jeff Hawkins wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:27 pm
Monday tv made it worse

Is Bray supposed to have an invisible camera inside his brain? *shrug*

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:27 pm

Danwaka wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:26 pm
Jeff Hawkins wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:27 pm
Monday tv made it worse

Is Bray supposed to have an invisible camera inside his brain? *shrug*
sure, why not...worked for Panic Room

I'll relent the point to "it's easily accessible"

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:37 am

Jeff Hawkins wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:27 pm
I'll relent the point to "it's easily accessible".
I mean, it's Bray Wyatt. He dressed up in drag and pretended he was Sister Abigail. He let both Daniel Bryan and Randy Orton join his team, cause dissent with Luke Harper and embarrass him on the way out. Seth figuring out where he was setting up shop this week and hitting it is probably one of Seth's most proactive moves in a while, and when a guy is called the Architect he needs to be proactive and thinking.

And really, Bray Wyatt's entire career could be a macrocosm of this singular skit. He might be the Fiend, but he's never been the most competent of planners, and if anything his dialogue in the Funhouse this week with Seth reflected that. People have wanted him to be the Undertaker, but he's really more of what Eugene would think the Undertaker was, or maybe even Norman the Lunatic. A damaged man, playing at and pretending to be the real thing.