NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
greenmanRD

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by greenmanRD » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:45 pm

I'm also just going to add that I don't think Will Ospreay is winning the A Block. They have given him a very tough start, and I think he's going to be really struggling for most of the tournament. The match against Tanahashi on the final day seems more to me like he will play a spoiler and get the big win he seeks in the G1 than a match winning block. Opening match with Archer can go either way imo, SANADA night 2 is tough, Ibushi night 3, Okada night 4 and Fale night 5. He could easily be 1-4 after that stretch, and all but eliminated. Following that though, he's got EVIL, Sabre, KENTA and Tanahashi. He feels like a guy that will end up with 8 points, beats Tanahashi for his marquee singles win on the final night, and bows out respectfully.

Of all the times that Okada has entered the G1 as IWGP Champion, surely this is the time he's most likely to come out on top. There are two very prominent names that he has open stories with that are not in this G1, i.e. Chris Jericho and Kenny Omega, and either of those could main event the Tokyo Dome. So long as NJPW keeps saying that they want to work with Kenny Omega, I'm going to assume that it's a match that could happen. Hell, perhaps on the final night he draws with Kota Ibushi, and challenges him at the Dome to get that win. It feels like if the IWGP Champion is going to win the G1, this is the year.

A Block is interesting with a lot of big names, but I would assume by the final night, the only guys with a real chance to win the thing are Okada, Ibushi, Tanahashi and maybe like SANADA.

B Block seems like it's going to come down to Moxley, Naito and White on the final night. Juice playing spoiler for Moxley seems like it will be the upset du jour for B Block, and White/Naito winner wins the block.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:49 pm

greenmanRD wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:59 pm
I know criticizing NJPW is kind of taboo, but how do you not put Jon Moxley as the main event on the Dallas show when they still have tickets available?
For the people going to that show, Tanahashi/Okada is a bigger draw.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:50 pm

The newcomers are a nice addition and the one guy I'm really hoping shines is Jeff Cobb. All the other newcomers have had their moments before, but Cobb has never had that great breakout moment. I feel like him vs. Shingo is going to be that moment.

ThommyGunn

Post by ThommyGunn » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:28 pm

greenmanRD wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:45 pm

Of all the times that Okada has entered the G1 as IWGP Champion, surely this is the time he's most likely to come out on top. There are two very prominent names that he has open stories with that are not in this G1, i.e. Chris Jericho and Kenny Omega, and either of those could main event the Tokyo Dome. So long as NJPW keeps saying that they want to work with Kenny Omega, I'm going to assume that it's a match that could happen. Hell, perhaps on the final night he draws with Kota Ibushi, and challenges him at the Dome to get that win. It feels like if the IWGP Champion is going to win the G1, this is the year.
Wow I hadn't really considered this, but that is a neat thought. This has gotten me even more pumped for the G1.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:20 pm

Kazuchika Okada winning the G1 Climax to challenge either Chris Jericho or Kenny Omega would be the quickest way to kill my enthusiasm for Wrestle Kingdom. And yes Joe, I know it's good for business (TM). Doesn't mean I like it.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:32 pm

Danwaka wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:20 pm
Kazuchika Okada winning the G1 Climax to challenge either Chris Jericho or Kenny Omega would be the quickest way to kill my enthusiasm for Wrestle Kingdom. And yes Joe, I know it's good for business (TM). Doesn't mean I like it.
Same. Omega I'd be less bothered by, but I never need to see Okada/Jericho again. I'm sure it will happen, but I really don't want that to be on WK.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:52 am

greenmanRD wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:45 pm
I'm also just going to add that I don't think Will Ospreay is winning the A Block. They have given him a very tough start, and I think he's going to be really struggling for most of the tournament. The match against Tanahashi on the final day seems more to me like he will play a spoiler and get the big win he seeks in the G1 than a match winning block. Opening match with Archer can go either way imo, SANADA night 2 is tough, Ibushi night 3, Okada night 4 and Fale night 5. He could easily be 1-4 after that stretch, and all but eliminated. Following that though, he's got EVIL, Sabre, KENTA and Tanahashi. He feels like a guy that will end up with 8 points, beats Tanahashi for his marquee singles win on the final night, and bows out respectfully.
I'm definitely on the same page as you here, except that I think that Archer defeating Ospreay on Night 1 is pretty much a lock considering that Archer is from Texas and did all that work in the region to promote the show. Plus this would give him his win back from the New Japan Cup and re-establish him as a threat early in the tournament. My expectation for Ospreay is that he'll get over with a lot of memorable matches and possibly spoil Tanahashi on the final night (as you are predicting) but will probably only wind up with something like 8 points.

Murcatto

Post by Murcatto » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:40 am

I think there's a good chance that Ospreay loses some matches at the start, but that doesn't necessarily mean he can't win the block. Gedo likes to book comebacks. Ospreay himself went 1-3 at the start of the 2016 BOSJ and came back to win. Plus given how stacked A Block is, I think there will be a lot of parity booking in which case a lower points total will be required to win - so Ospreay (or whoever wins) can perhaps afford to lose three and still win the block.

I think Shingo will get at least 10 points as well. If you look at Devitt's G1 tournaments, he was only one point away from winning his block in both 2010 and 2013 (he got more points than Okada in 2013). I think NJPW will go out of their way to make the two juniors look strong.

I'm trying to figure out who will challenge Naito for the IC title (and briefcase?) later in the year. If Naito's winning the block then he's probably going to beat Switchblade because their match is on the final night and seems like the block decider. Moxley & Ishii have their own belts to defend. I don't think Shingo is beating his faction leader in G1, never mind challenging for his belt. Yano isn't going to be an IC title contender. I think Juice is probably beating Mox and going after the US title instead. So that leaves Goto, Taichi & Cobb. Probably Taichi? He's a bigger name than Cobb and I feel like if Goto was in line for a big match with Naito then he wouldn't have been benched recently.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:47 pm

Murcatto wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:40 am
I'm trying to figure out who will challenge Naito for the IC title (and briefcase?) later in the year. If Naito's winning the block then he's probably going to beat Switchblade because their match is on the final night and seems like the block decider. Moxley & Ishii have their own belts to defend. I don't think Shingo is beating his faction leader in G1, never mind challenging for his belt. Yano isn't going to be an IC title contender. I think Juice is probably beating Mox and going after the US title instead. So that leaves Goto, Taichi & Cobb. Probably Taichi? He's a bigger name than Cobb and I feel like if Goto was in line for a big match with Naito then he wouldn't have been benched recently.
There's no question it'll be Taichi--Naito has him locked down 3-0 in their singles series since this whole Taichi-as-fake-heavyweight deal started, and him beating Naito in the B Block, with Naito already having sewn up 1st place, would be as great a place as any to let him start catching up in that regard, as well as set up a briefcase match. Cobb will have to be tied up doing something else, I imagine--if he's not pushing towards winning the ROH title post-G1, and then showcasing himself here as champion, I would be shocked.

Am surprised but also intrigued by no Suzuki participation, as now there could be an even more clear structure to the stable: DOUKI is about to become the jobber, TAKA can dedicate himself more fully to being Sabre's manager or is free to pursue other work, Despy/Kanemaru are still the junior team (or now DOUKI and/or TAKA can become Kanemaru's partner and Despy can finally assume a more consistent role as the singles junior), Taichi can become the secondary heavy, Sabre Jr. becomes the main singles heavy, and most intriguingly, Suzuki/Archer reprise their tag team--your 2011 tag league champs! Legit would excite me more than KES ever did, now that Smith Jr.'s out of the picture.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:24 pm

I'm glad that NJPW announced that Moxley would not be in Dallas this far in advance because if they came out on like the 4th of July, than I know personally would have felt snake bit, despite how irrational that feeling would have been. At least now the sting is done and I can get myself hyped up again for the show.

Also the whole business of AEW blocking Moxley from being in Dallas is frustrating. It makes total sense for AEW to do that if it's within their rights but ultimately I'm just ready for the two sides make up/stop flirting and hop into bed together. This feels like that situation in a work place where two people have instant chemistry and are ready to take the plunge but are both hesitant because of professionalism so therefore all of their coworkers are subjected to their insufferable amount of sexual tension. NJPW just dump ROH and get on with it with AEW please.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:51 pm

Does this G1 also feel like the most difficult G1 to pick when it comes down to individual point totals?

Usually there is enough of a hierarchy in the blocks that you can project the point totals for everyone in a given block and you just gotta hope you picked the right Ws and Ls. This year feels like anyone can finish anywhere because I can't spot the definite pin eaters in each block aside from Yano( and he comes with his own twist in that he could beat anybody while Yoshi-Hashi and Makabe couldn't). The tiers in each block usually split into three distinct tiers; Stars, Mid-Carders, and jobbers(for lack of a better term) and this year the Jobber tier is just gone or at least heavily compromised.

We got the 10-14 point/ Star tier:
A block: Okada, Tanahashi, Ibushi
B Block: Naito, White, Moxley

That tier is still relatively easy to pick since they win most their matches and their losses are most certainly going to be the focal points for the fall's booking.

6-10 point/ Midcard tier:
A block: ZSJ, Osprey, KENTA, SANADA, Evil
B block: Goto, Ishii, Shingo, Juice, Cobb, Taichi

This is where it gets crazy in that some of these dudes are eating pins and some are hitting 10 points to get that winning record but you could make an argument that they all could do either. B block in particular is just a nightmare because not everyone of these 6 is beating Yano and any one of them are capable of getting a big Star level scalp or two. I could easily see a scenario where Taichi gets 8 points, beats Naito, and loses to Yano and half of his tier.

2-6 point/Jobber(?) tier:
A block: Archer, Fale
B block: Yano

Here is where the train comes off the tracks pickem wise. Archer and Fale are a cut below the booking and star level of the rest of their block but are by far the two biggest men in the company and are always booked like monsters. So they really could skyrocket into the Midcard tier and then I don;t know who eats pins in this block. Yano has a similar quality in regards to block regulation as he can lose or beat anybody with no real ramifications. Yano hasn't been booked strong in the last two G1s but if ends up with 8 points it wouldn't be shocking. Overall my point is that we could very well be seeing a G1 where everyone is alive going into Budokan Hall in each block just because there isn't enough easy Ws to book. Which to be honest MAKES ME SUPER EXCITED!

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:16 pm

In case anyone missed it and wants to hear the pops:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/ ... ouncement/

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:01 am

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:47 am

Got my tickets for the Super J Cup show in Tacoma. Wanted Balcony seats, but those sold out the second tickets went on sale. Got standing room balcony seats, so that'll be fun hopefully! Never been to this venue.

Hope the lineup is good....

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:47 pm

I am dumbstruck by that show (and the second stage) selling out and selling out so fast after the problems with the smaller level shows earlier this year and no talent being announced (and every hint about the talent being "hey, don't get too excited for lots of outside people being flown over.") It seems like these shows are smaller venues and new markets but after the previous problems and the slow tickets for Dallas, I thought it was a really bad idea for them to even put tickets on sale until they could announce people. I was so wrong.