VOW Flagship: Ambrose & KENTA, Royal Rumble, NXT TakeOver & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: Ambrose & KENTA, Royal Rumble, NXT TakeOver & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:38 pm

This week on an ad-free Voices of Wrestling Flagship Podcast, Joe and Rich talk about the impending departure of Dean Ambrose, whether the story could be a work and why Ambrose is choosing to leave. We also dive into the confirmed departure of KENTA/Hideo Itami and where he's likely to land. The show closes with reviews of NXT TakeOver: Phoenix, WWE Royal Rumble 2019 as well as a short preview of the upcoming NJPW The New Beginning shows and the last NJPW match for KUSHIDA.

MP3: https://audioboom.com/posts/7161904-vow ... r-more.mp3

armsofsleep

Re: VOW Flagship: Ambrose & KENTA, Royal Rumble, NXT TakeOver & more!

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:47 pm

Joe sadly you are not the first to bury the Bryan character, listen to the newest episode of the beloved podcast Wrestling Omakase!

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:33 am

Talking Smack wasn't terrible. It was largely average with a few gems. Baron Corbin and Carmella showed some positive character growth there, there was Rhino Claus one week and there was a decent bit of humor between Bryan and Renee following every Smackdown. You also had Becky and Dean building themselves as the lead faces of the brand.

Regarding the NXT roster bloat... Just give the Performance Center kids to Gabe and EVOLVE.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:55 am

re: the Ambrose discussion

Today's wrestlers aren't marks for money quite like the old school. Most of the top performers are nerds who basically go to work, go to the gym, and then go home and play video games. Most haven't been divorced a few times. Lots already own a home. Lots have some college under their belt.

A lot of these guys can leave the WWE and be pretty good for a while.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:55 am

It cannot be underestimated how big of a blow Ambrose leaving is to WWE and how big of a boon it is to whoever he signs with especially if it’s AEW. Despite the misgivings about his in ring work( which I would argue was much better earlier in his wwe run when you could tell he was motivated) you cannot undervalue his star potential. This guy was such a huge burgeoning star he was able to will himself into a Wrestlemania match with Brock Lesnar and forcefully change WWE’s plans. Plus he is one of the higher paid and relatively pushed/protected talents on the roster. If AEW is serious about catching up with WWE that’s kind of guy where you can make serious money on rehabbing his image.

Also, Rich what did Finn Balor do to you man, when did he hurt you? All jokes aside, I thought Balor came out looking like a real star even in a loss to Brock. The story of match being that Finn’s speed and strategy eventually neutralized Lesnar’s strength and striking advantages and he almost had the big man beat but Lesnar barely gets the win due to his grappling and catching Finn in the middle of the ring. Plus the beat down after the match really helped too. It really felt like the first real challenge that Brock has faced where the fans got totally behind his opponent.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:25 am

Re - Kassius Ohno. It's something i've been thinking for a while, even his Super Strong Style 16 matches last year never quite got to the level of old Chris Hero stuff. Don't think we will be seeing him on anymore Takeovers personally.

In the past 2 years, AJ Styles has had feuds and multiple matches with- Daniel Bryan, Shinsuke Nakamura, Samoa Joe and Kevin Owens and none of them in my opinion have reached higher than **** which is crazy to think about. I'd argue his last great WWE match was against Shane Mcmahon which is even crazier to think.

I went ***1/2 on Tanahashi v Kushida, a nice match and worth a match with it being Kushidas last NJPW match but anyone calling that a MOTY candidate is crazy.

Great show as usual lads.

Ten410

Post by Ten410 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:36 pm

I had a friend over to watch the rumble and by time of the end of Bryan/Styles and he had to tap out and go home because it was too long.

I'm on the fence with Bryan's character jumping over the shark. I have that emotional investment to him as Joe has for Kenta so I'll get it a few more weeks.

Really did enjoy the simplicity if this match. You knew Tanahashi would work the leg and Kushida working on the arm. Everything gelled perfectly and built to the finish at a nice pace, great stuff.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:35 pm

At least give Robes credit when you claim to be ahead of the curve, Lanza. re: Daniel Bryan

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3149&start=15#p67396

He fvckin stinks right now I won't hear otherwise.

The HEMP BELT promo immediately led me to change the channel. If this is what Daniel Bryan returned for, he should have stayed gone.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:20 am

Re: Daniel Bryan's new gimmick.

Felt like I was listening to the old dudes from the Muppet Show. Deep bubble inside the bubble talk.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:21 am

It's okay, Robes. Hulk Hogan really wasn't the first person to slam Andre the Giant. It's just all about optics to these big city slicker podcasters.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:22 am

Some people have speculated Ambrose is a "Punk" ie a person who lived for wrestling but WWE killed his love for it, so he may never return to it once he leaves. I hope not - this guy may be one of the biggest reasons I got back into wrestling in 2013, the Shield vs Daniel Bryan/Kane feud drew me in and lead me to watching older Bryan Danielson AND a lot of Jon Moxley promos. His promo work was outstanding back then and while nothing on the main roster ever outshone those sleazy FCW promos against Regal, he was still a very good promo.

I remember in 2014/2015? when he went on Stone Cold's podcast and said he hasn't liked a single one of his WWE promos. That rang a tiny alarm bell in my head like, hey, maybe this guy's not gonna be happy. Yet he stuck around until now so obviously either the money was good, he wanted to stay on tour with his wife (I would imagine this is a big reason, since WWE tours take you away from home for most of the week completely) or he found some other satisfaction in his job, if not a purely creative one.

As much as I joke that he should go back to deathmatches (though in seriousness, Ambrose vs Takeda would be awesome and I would even be partial to Havoc vs Ambrose), I think he's gonna take a holiday and then decide where to go. I don't think he's the next indy superstar to light the scene on fire because I don't think he was that kind of guy to begin with. He's not an active self-promoter on twitter, he's not on any flashy gifs. But he is a good wrestler with a superb mind for character and talking, and he has a massive fanbase, both male and female. People can joke about tumblr fans and how cringey a lot of those fangirls get but this will test how ride or die they are for this guy, since a lot of them don't watch any indies. But if they follow him to wherever he goes, that place is gonna gain more fans as result.

Exciting times.

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:40 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:20 am
Re: Daniel Bryan's new gimmick.

Felt like I was listening to the old dudes from the Muppet Show. Deep bubble inside the bubble talk.
Honestly the gimmick works for me because I know people within my circles that are exactly like Bryan.