The MLW Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
rovert

Re: The MLW Thread

Post by rovert » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:58 pm

MLW really tied an anchor to Tom Lawlor with this Jack Swagger feud. A real waste of his post-Battle Riot win momentum.

Could see the sense in it on paper but Swagger has been the pits for a couple of years now.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:32 pm

One of the most disappointing post-WWE guys I can remember. Like yeah dudes like Ryback feel flat on their face but Swagger was one I think most of us thought would really shine. Boy were we wrong. He had no interest is doing shit and his lone performance in AAW that I saw live was so embarrassing.

Rottenrocker

Post by Rottenrocker » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:31 pm

Thankfully it's over. I hope.

Lawlor did his damnedest to make that match somewhat good.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:32 pm

Went to MLW War Games last night at War Memorial in Ft. Lauderdale. Spoilers for like a month of TV, so beware.

spoiler free version - Show was fun, work was solid, but too many fuckery finishes.

Place was packed most of the night and the crowd was hotter than I remember that Ft. Lauderdale crowd being at NXT and ROH shows in recent years.

Show was LONG (7p to nearly midnight).

I went to the show for two reasons...#1 to see LA Park. If there is a legend working close by and you've never seen them live...you just gotta go. #2 to see the Lucha Bros.

Lets start at the top. War Games. Star of the match was Kotto. The first five minute period was Kotto v. Sawyer Fulton and that was the best part of the match. Tommy Dreamer got the biggest pop of the night (obviously). Now, for some fukkery...the match was TEAM SWERVE v. TEAM SAMI...Swerve wasn't even involved in the match. Sami with a run-in, led to Swerve before he entered the cage getting powerbombed through two tables and he was never involved after. Not for the heroic end of the match. Nothing. Just went to the back...never came back. Team SWERVE (without SWERVE) won in essentially a 4 on 5 match when Hughes and Kotto uses a barbed wire mesh to get Fulton to tap out similarly to the Gargano-Ciampa ending with the knee brace.

Barrington Hughes is really bad. Zero redeeming qualities.

Fenix v. Low Ki was very good until a fukkery finish.

Pentagon Jr v. LA Park was very good until a fukkery finish.

Filthy Tom v. Joey Janela was very good until a fukkery finish.

PCO v. Brody King was just about to get good until a fukkery finish.

Jason Cade v. Myron Reed was very good until a bad fukkery finish.

Jimmy Yuta v. Hijo LA Park was solid...no fukkery finish...one of the few.

LOTS of Hart Foundation at this event. Four matches they were involved with...Teddy, as always, gets a good pop and hung out with fans after his last match eating nachos. First time seeing Pillman Jr. live. Love his charisma...think he's got the personality thing down with a lot of room to improve. The ring work? ehhhhhh...he's got a long way to go.

Also, can confirm the long held Rich Kraetsch rumor...Penta indeed smells mentholated.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:36 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:32 pm

Lets start at the top. War Games. Star of the match was Kotto. The first five minute period was Kotto v. Sawyer Fulton and that was the best part of the match. Tommy Dreamer got the biggest pop of the night (obviously). Now, for some fukkery...the match was TEAM SWERVE v. TEAM SAMI...Swerve wasn't even involved in the match. Sami with a run-in, led to Swerve before he entered the cage getting powerbombed through two tables and he was never involved after. Not for the heroic end of the match. Nothing. Just went to the back...never came back. Team SWERVE (without SWERVE) won in essentially a 4 on 5 match when Hughes and Kotto uses a barbed wire mesh to get Fulton to tap out similarly to the Gargano-Ciampa ending with the knee brace.
Strickland being written off? There have been rumors...

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:20 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
Went to MLW War Games last night at War Memorial in Ft. Lauderdale. Spoilers for like a month of TV, so beware.

spoiler free version - Show was fun, work was solid, but too many fuckery finishes.

Place was packed most of the night and the crowd was hotter than I remember that Ft. Lauderdale crowd being at NXT and ROH shows in recent years.

I went to the show for two reasons...#1 to see LA Park. If there is a legend working close by and you've never seen them live...you just gotta go. #2 to see the Lucha Bros.

LOTS of Hart Foundation at this event. Four matches they were involved with...Teddy, as always, gets a good pop and hung out with fans after his last match eating nachos. First time seeing Pillman Jr. live. Love his charisma...think he's got the personality thing down with a lot of room to improve. The ring work? ehhhhhh...he's got a long way to go.

Also, can confirm the long held Rich Kraetsch rumor...Penta indeed smells mentholated.
Not even a rumor brother. You could smell him and Fenix from the press box at ALL IN. Those Lucha Bros must bathe in Icy Hot.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:19 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:36 pm
BoxingRobes wrote:

Strickland being written off? There have been rumors...
If I showed up to see the main event and see Strickland, I'd be livid. Classic bait and switch.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:19 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:20 pm
BoxingRobes wrote:

Not even a rumor brother. You could smell him and Fenix from the press box at ALL IN. Those Lucha Bros must bathe in Icy Hot.
I got rid of chest congestion just by standing next to him.

Foresite

Post by Foresite » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:22 am

What is the General consensus on here for Fusion?
Don't see a lot of people talking about it.
Seems like a nice, digestible hour of TV. Some people we don't see weekly elsewhere (Swerve, Low Ki, MJF), some good Indy staples (Sami, Lucha Bro's), plus rotating heels in for Salina, keeps things fresh.
Any hot takes?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:48 pm

Foresite wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:22 am
Seems like a nice, digestible hour of TV. Some people we don't see weekly elsewhere (Swerve, Low Ki, MJF), some good Indy staples (Sami, Lucha Bro's), plus rotating heels in for Salina, keeps things fresh.
Any hot takes?
Pretty much.

I will say the match quality, particularly the main events, has improved over the last month or so. Some legitimate **** range stuff lately.

avengers23

Post by avengers23 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:13 pm

I like Fusion as background viewing while I'm working on other stuff. It feels very light for its running time.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:20 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:48 pm
Foresite wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:22 am
Any hot takes?
Pretty much.

I will say the match quality, particularly the main events, has improved over the last month or so. Some legitimate **** range stuff lately.
I've seen all of the matches you are hyping up live...and don't get me wrong, they are good matches, but the fuck finishes really make me hesitate calling them **** stuff. But you are right, the match quality has risen exponentially since the War Games set of tapings.

KLC

Post by KLC » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:43 pm

Was at a show in Australia main evented by Low Ki vs Jonah Rock for the MLW title. Match is meant to be being aired on MLW tv, but I could see them just airing clips as the promotion's production values are not particularly high level. Match was good, though the MMA style finish went over the head of most of the crowd.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:58 am

MLW has a double shot in Miami. One being a LIVE special on BEIN Sports.

Will be there both nights.

On night one.

Pentagon v. Teddy Hart
LA Park v. Sami Callihan - Falls Count Anywhere
Filthy Tom v. Simon Gotch
RUSH v. Shane Strickland
Dragon Lee v. Rich Swann

On night two.

Low Ki v. Konnan (lol)
Big ladder match for the Middleweight Title
Tommy Dreamer v. Pillman Jr.
Rush v. Rich Swann

Plus a ton of shit that hasn't been announced yet.

Someome is going to something stupid in that building. They have some spots where someone is going to dive off or be thrown off something very ridiculous.

Also a weird building to do wrestling. At a place called Scottish Rite Temple.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:46 pm

they decide to go live vs final battle...oh well...