PROGRESS Wrestling (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Tim_dawg

Re: PROGRESS Thread: The Fake Taxi of Wrestling

Post by Tim_dawg » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:15 am

ScorpioCorp wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:54 pm
PROGRESS have just recently released shows from Australia in conjunction with promotions like Explosive Pro Wrestling, Melbourne City Wrestling & Pro Wrestling Australia. Just mentioning it because I'm VOW's resident Australia writer & they would be interesting to watch.
Here are my big takeaways from those shows(not that you asked, lol).

-Elliot Sexton looked like a mega star. My match of the weekend. I couldn't take my eyes off him the entire match. Funny how he was announced for Progress Seattle the same day these shows were released. If Sexton dosent end up in WWE soon(which I'm sure he will) I strongly believe he will be booked for every major US indy within months, especially since he lives in Orlando and the US scene is struggling. This is huge for him. I really hope Joe and Rich watch this match... This was also the best JXT has ever looked. Awesome match.

-The Untouchables(Marcius Pitt and Damian Slater) are absolutely major league talent. If they were in the US or UK they would be huge names. Killer match with Moustache Mountain.

-To me Sexton, Untouchables, Slex, and Mick Moretti are 100% major league ready(And in my opinion the only ones from Australia who are,Caveman Ugg is close, but probally needs to change his gimmick a bit) And should be booked everywhere, I hope promoters overseas watched these shows.

-Dowie James vs Tyler Bate was great, but character wise James is extremely cringy(which is also my problem with Syd Parker), kinda looked like a dork next to Bate. Great in ring though.

-Street Gang Hooligans vs Ward/Banks was a huge letdown. I love Logan, but he needs a lot more training.

KLC

Post by KLC » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:18 am

I've watched almost all of the Australia shows (still have the middle section of PWA to get through)

My match of the tour was Sexton vs JXT vs Banks. Don't know if it's all live bias/being friends with EPW talent bias, but I do think that EPW is actually the strongest overall show.

Really like Banks vs Eagles. Wish they'd called an audible and put Eagles over since it was a non-title match. Crowd would have exploded; and would have set up a championship rematch later that Banks could have won. Would have been a much better use of a Progress main event than say Chuck Mambo (I haven't watched that match yet; maybe it was good. Mambo just has instant go away heat with me because of his character)

KLC

Post by KLC » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:18 am

I've watched almost all of the Australia shows (still have the middle section of PWA to get through)

My match of the tour was Sexton vs JXT vs Banks. Don't know if it's all live bias/being friends with EPW talent bias, but I do think that EPW is actually the strongest overall show.

Really like Banks vs Eagles. Wish they'd called an audible and put Eagles over since it was a non-title match. Crowd would have exploded; and would have set up a championship rematch later that Banks could have won. Would have been a much better use of a Progress main event than say Chuck Mambo (I haven't watched that match yet; maybe it was good. Mambo just has instant go away heat with me because of his character)

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:51 pm

So I just listened to the flagship show(I know I'm late), after listening to their Progress preview, I gotta give some thoughts on the Seattle Show, which I attended.

-I've been to BOLA 9 of the last 10 years, I've been to the Electric Ballroom, I've been to The Crash in Tijuana. The Seattle Progress crowd may have been the loudest crowd I've ever experienced. Even though Progress isnt the same in the US as the UK, it is 100% worth going too when it comes to your town.

-Rich said isn't a fan of Brody King, I'd recommend watching the Defy match with Pete Dunne, and the WALTER match from the last PWG show if you're not sold on King, those might change your mind.

- THE 6 man from Progress Seattle was possibly as good as the BOLA match Dave gave 5 stars.

-Elliot Sexton wrestled King in Seattle. Sexton is an absolute mega star once he gets his name out there. His pre match promo was great, his facials are some of the best, he is huge, jacked, great look, really good in the ring, an absolute charisma machine. I assume he is going to WWE(especially since his wife is there), but if not he should be booked in every major Indy. I think people are gonna be very impressed once the VOD's drop.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:03 pm

Tim_dawg wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:51 pm
So I just listened to the flagship show(I know I'm late), after listening to their Progress preview, I gotta give some thoughts on the Seattle Show, which I attended.

-I've been to BOLA 9 of the last 10 years, I've been to the Electric Ballroom, I've been to The Crash in Tijuana. The Seattle Progress crowd may have been the loudest crowd I've ever experienced. Even though Progress isnt the same in the US as the UK, it is 100% worth going too when it comes to your town.

-Rich said isn't a fan of Brody King, I'd recommend watching the Defy match with Pete Dunne, and the WALTER match from the last PWG show if you're not sold on King, those might change your mind.

- THE 6 man from Progress Seattle was possibly as good as the BOLA match Dave gave 5 stars.

-Elliot Sexton wrestled King in Seattle. Sexton is an absolute mega star once he gets his name out there. His pre match promo was great, his facials are some of the best, he is huge, jacked, great look, really good in the ring, an absolute charisma machine. I assume he is going to WWE(especially since his wife is there), but if not he should be booked in every major Indy. I think people are gonna be very impressed once the VOD's drop.
Good tips. I obviously love both WALTER and Dunne so if those don't do it for me, then like you said, King just isn't my god. Good looking out though, excited to see those.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:48 pm

The NY show was top to bottom one of the best shows I've seen live and had two matches you absolutely must seek out:

-LAX vs. Chris Brookes and Jonathan Gresham. If not for the Young Bucks, LAX would be my tag team of the year and this was incredible for many reasons including it being a hometown shot for them. Brookes and Gresham, who visually may be the most bizarre looking duo ever, held up their end of the match and we got a genuine MOTYC out of them. Given Smallman's post match praise, it would be shocking to not see LAX back.

-British Strong Style vs. Brody King, Eddie Kingston and Jimmy Havoc. BSS were by far, by cheers and their merch line, the biggest act on the show and they actually worked a ton of comedy early before they kicked into high gear for the finish. Kingston took a sick piledriver for the pin. Brody King looked fine, so I'll also question Rich's dislike of him.

I should also note that this was my first time going to La Boom and it's joined Logan Square as one of my favorite indie venues. Just a really nice venue, good sight lines all around and the crowd was great. And there was working air conditioning, so Bix (not present) couldn't complain!

Apart from nearly being struck by lightning pre-show, a fine evening of wrestling.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:47 pm

The full card for Wembley Arena has been revealed:

PROGRESS WORLD TITLE: WALTER (c) vs. Tyler Bate
PROGRESS WOMEN'S TITLE THREE WAY: Jinny (c) vs. Millie McKenzie vs. Toni Storm
PROGRESS ATLAS TITLE: Doug Williams (c) vs. Trent Seven - if Williams loses the title, he must retire
PROGRESS TAG TEAM TITLE THUNDERBASTARD MATCH: Bandido & Flamita (c) vs. Sexy Starr vs. M&M vs. Aussie Open vs. The Anti-Fun Police vs. Grizzled Young Veterans vs. Chris Brookes & Timothy Thatcher vs. The 198
PROGRESS WORLD TITLE NUMBER ONE CONTENDERS TABLES, LADDERS & CHAIRS MATCH: Eddie Dennis vs. Mark Andrews
Ilja Dragunov vs. Pete Dunne
NO DISQUALIFICATION MATCH: Jimmy Havoc vs. Paul Robinson
Matt Riddle vs. Mark Haskins

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:06 am

I'd highly recommend everyone check out the PROGRESS Seattle show. Flamita/Bandido/Rey Horus vs British Strong Style was one of the best matches I have ever seen.

SuitWilliams

Post by SuitWilliams » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:19 am

WALTER/ZSJ was very good, as expected. It was a step above the New Orleans match, which I thought was great as well. Easy ****1/2.
----------
These are things I do.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/SuitWilliams

PWPonderings reviews: http://www.pwponderings.com/author/suit-williams/

Voices of Wrestling reviews: http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/author ... lwilliams/

themib

Post by themib » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:12 pm

Chapter 78 might have been the best chapter show of the year. Devlin/Ridgeway, Starr/Dragunov and WALTER/Haskins are all easy recommendations.

DownriverDrew

Post by DownriverDrew » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:52 pm

themib wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:12 pm
Chapter 78 might have been the best chapter show of the year. Devlin/Ridgeway, Starr/Dragunov and WALTER/Haskins are all easy recommendations.
I'm looking forward to finishing this show. I was only able to watch the Dennis/Bailey opener, which was pretty good, so far but the rest of the show looked promising. I've been following Progress since around May after hearing about it for a long time and I'm really enjoying the product as a whole. Thought Walter/Sabre from Chapter 77 was awesome!

DownriverDrew

Post by DownriverDrew » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:48 pm

Not sure if anything constitutes spoilers on here with the delay of the show uploads but I really like the idea of a new heel stable coming out of yesterday's show. It can put the focus on the non-WWE guys with WWE limiting all of the NXT UK talent now. The guys involved will all have to step up and we'll see how it turns out but it's a good start to elevating talent to the next level.

FilipPejic

Post by FilipPejic » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:54 pm

I’m guessing that Jordynne Grace is probably done with PROGRESS cause she s signed with impact and in future can’t work with any of wwe uk women talent
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

DownriverDrew

Post by DownriverDrew » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:15 pm

FilipPejic wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:54 pm
I’m guessing that Jordynne Grace is probably done with PROGRESS cause she s signed with impact and in future can’t work with any of wwe uk women talent
I wonder if this will effect Progress being able to bring in LAX for their next set of shows too

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:46 pm

They're still scheduled for EVOLVE as well and that was only announced recently. So, presumably not.

We'll see how rigidly the "no matches with Impact people" part of the contracts is adhered to when it happens (feels like we've been here before with this kinda stuff so I'll believe it when I see it), but even if it is, there's no "you can't book Impact people" rule being discussed, as far as I know. There's unsigned guys they can face if need be.