Ring of Honor (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
mlev76

Re: *NEW* ROH Thread. Keep it clean.

Post by mlev76 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:44 pm

supersonic wrote:
thecubsfan wrote:please please pull me back if I'm out to lunch, but if you're launching a wrestling VOD library service in 2018, I think you *must have* these things on each videos

* a list of which matches are in the video
* a tagging mechanism (or an equally simple search by wrestler function)

I believe they should have more than that, but that's the absolute minimum. And HonorClub is incredibly not meeting that minimum. Not even the newest shows have a list of what matches are on the show. If I want to find out what was on the show, I need another tab open to cagematch or wrestlingdata to track down that basic information myself. And there's no hope in searching for anything. And even if I know the exact show I want to see, I still have to hunt around to find it because they haven't bothered to put the shows in any particular order - every year before 2017 is in an order that appears random to me.

I'm not a close ROH watcher, so maybe regular ROH fans know which shows they want to see. Or maybe they just figure most people are watching the livestream shows and paying no attention to the VOD anyway. As a casual person who might be interested in leafing thru ROH's back catalog, they've made it very hard and far more work than it's worth, I can't imagine anyone using this service that way. It seems to me like it should take no more than five minutes to put a list of matches for each video, and maybe not even that long to figure out how to sort the videos in a normal fashion. I thought the story was ROH was working on this service for a long time; it really comes off as a slapdash thing they threw together as quick as possible.
mlev76 wrote:The service feels like something you put together if you are essentially told you have to have a streaming service and must hit certain bare minimums and not giving a shit enough to go past it. Maybe it will improve with time, but apart from being a good deal if you want to follow current ROH, it's pretty disappointing.
http://rohforum.site/viewtopic.php?f=2& ... 23#p152622
Reading this in the same 24 hour period as hearing Joe's comments about the current product and the fact that ROH just did their biggest house ever just confirms the reality that ROH is not a company meant for me anymore. I took the chance with the year membership and thought at the very least I'd use it to keep up with the current product, but through the first two months as a member, I've watched less on that service than on Powerbomb.tv and HSWN. Which is sad because if this was ROH from even five years ago I'd probably be very into what Honor Club has to offer.

ROH right now is mostly Bullet Club, NJPW pop ins and legacy acts from the glory days who either can't or won't go to WWE. With so many other options and so much great young talent wrestling in the indies (and even the crazy misfit weirdos like PCO and Gage becoming more compelling and accessible), I very much doubt I will renew come next year.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:52 pm

This was one of the matchups that got me into PWG a few years back. Might have to watch live just for this.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Fri May 04, 2018 2:30 am

OH HELL YEAH!!! GOddamn that match is going to be amazing!

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu May 17, 2018 10:17 pm

Observer:
King Mo Lawal has been in talks about coming in to do something working with Josh Woods and Shane Taylor

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:32 pm

I think it's been rumored with WM coming to NY and AAA booking MSG, but to me it's still a shock.

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/n ... dison.html
As part of Sinclair's plans to grow Ring of Honor and take advantage of a "very passionate fanbase," [Sinclair CEO Chris] Ripley said the promotion's events are starting to take place at large venues. A show set to take place this year in Chicago sold out 10,000 seats in less than an hour.

Perhaps most exciting of all, Ripley said Ring of Honor will have a show at Madison Square Garden next year. It's a big move because in wrestling circles, MSG is considered a "home arena" for WWE.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:38 pm

According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, WWE is reportedly very upset about Ring of Honor running Madison Square Garden, and are “doing everything possible to block it.”

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:04 pm

monster mafia wrote:According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, WWE is reportedly very upset about Ring of Honor running Madison Square Garden, and are “doing everything possible to block it.”
Does this strike anyone as a "Dave is getting worked" story? Reminds me of the "WWE is trying to sign Dalton Castle!!!!" thing that was clearly just Meltzer writing whatever ROH told him to. Why would WWE care about ROH running MSG at all? It's not like it makes ROH feel big time or anything, and they probably wouldn't broadcast it live.

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:06 am

Welp.
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:17 am

Anyone watch BITW last night? I thought it was quite boring and I had a hard time paying attention to it.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:28 am

John The Drummer wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:17 am
Anyone watch BITW last night? I thought it was quite boring and I had a hard time paying attention to it.
Agreed. The first hour and a half really lost me hard especially the overly long Bully Ray segment, and everything just felt kinda mediocre. The Briscoes/Bucks tag was the best match on the show, and I thought that was one of their weaker matches together. IDK if it was the show, or if ROH is just not for me anymore.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:44 am

King Of Indy Style wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:28 am
John The Drummer wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:17 am
Agreed. The first hour and a half really lost me hard especially the overly long Bully Ray segment, and everything just felt kinda mediocre. The Briscoes/Bucks tag was the best match on the show, and I thought that was one of their weaker matches together. IDK if it was the show, or if ROH is just not for me anymore.
Pretty much all of this.

I haven't kept up with ROH much at all lately, so I was pretty excited to see what I've been missing, just felt like a long TV episode :( . The tag match though, definitely highlight of the show.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:29 pm

Opener was pretty good fun, too--as only the second bit of wrestling I've watched all month, it seeming like everyone involved was enjoying themselves made it more engaging to me, although it also seemed like the language barrier was affecting the timing in a couple of instances. I'm also super-happy that The Kingdom have an ironic fan contingent now--as the thing in ORH that I latch onto, I like that some others appreciate what they bring to the table now.

I wanted to give the eight-woman tag a shot, but none of the STARDOM people coming out to their native entrance themes took the motivation right out of me, pretty much.

As this is the first Brsicoes match I've watched in forever, I'm not seeing whatever these folks who say they're having a bad year are seeing--just seems to me like they're stale in ROH as this point and need a fresh environment to play in. They're the same as they've always been to me.

HeadCheese
Location: Zonie Winner, Jesus Lover, Cheese`s Lover, and Pasta Eater. Maker of Bad Jokes. Great plugger.

Post by HeadCheese » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:39 am

I am not sure where to put this but, this seems like a cool concept. I have watched the first episode. Are you guys watching this to?

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:53 am

... Really? You're gonna make MJF, Joey Janela, Jeff Cobb or James Storm fuck around to get a World Television Championship title shot? What's this cheap ass faux-Japanese nonsense? Don't we have the Top Prospects tournament or whatever for this?