ThROH The Years: A ROH retrospective podcast (Episode 38 Up!)

Wrestlers, promoters, bloggers and podcasters — feel free to plug your stuff here. Sharing is caring.
Hobbes

ThROH The Years: A ROH retrospective podcast (Episode 38 Up!)

Post by Hobbes » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:30 am

Pleased as punch to finally announce me and Matt Feuerstein's new ongoing podcast project: ThROH The Years. We're going to be review every ROH event (Until we get tired of it) starting from the first show. Obviously the timing has turned out to be great/strange, and I think 15 years is just long enough to where these shows can be looked back at from a fresh perspective. To the best of my knowledge no one else is doing it yet in podcast form either.

First episode is up, a nearly 160 minute whopper where we discuss ROH as a whole and our history with the company before we review the first ROH show ever: The Era of Honor Begins. It features Super Crazy vs. Eddie Guerrero, Low Ki vs. Bryan Danielson vs. Christopher Daniels, Spanky holding a bag of Wendy's, Eric The Towel Boy, and the most homophobic segment in pro wrestling history.

It was a ton of fun to make. It was my first time hosting and I feel I was slightly rough but I'll get better and overall I think we made a nice little podcast for you to listen to. Write to us with any comments or questions at [email protected] or hey, by posting here. And please somebody tell me what Spanky orders from Wendy's, seriously.

http://www.thecubsfan.com/2017/03/26/th ... or-begins/
Last edited by Hobbes on Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:00 am, edited 37 times in total.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Re: ThROH The Years: A ROH retrospective podcast

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:13 pm

Excited to check this out. Good idea guys!

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:36 am

EVERYONE needs to listen to the hosts absolutely rip apart the first 20 minutes. It's miraculous that the main event managed to overshadow the absolute worst first impression possible. Utter fucking irredeemable steaming hot garbage.

elloziom

Post by elloziom » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:34 pm

Decided to watch this whole show, before listening to your podcast and I gotta say I agree with most of your opinions. A lot of people tell abou talent being so much better than it is now, and so far I can see that is clearly not the case. Also it is really interesting to see how much more people are PC today compared to 2002. Right now I'm by the 3rd show and every single one of them involved some racist and homophobic comments, which seems kind of funny to me, because maybe this is the reason that ROH doesn't have their network. They really don't want to shut down for all those things they have done at the beginning of their run.

In the show you speak about nobody bashing ROH for doing those things with Christopher Street Connection and I found one interesting quote in some of the past ROH reviews.
I’ve always said that there’s nothing like a little homophobia to garner babyface heat.
It might be a little ironic, but it pretty much sums up what people in wrestling thought a political correctness.

Another thing that I really liked about your podcast was admitting that a lot of the excitement from the ROH fanbase might have come from the fact that you could see the product growing and some people might have overrated those shows. You may come to this point especially after seeing this show, where in my opinion except the 3 way and Crazy vs Eddie this show was bad, like really bad. I'm not saying that the talent didn't care, but to be honest a lot of the matches, promos and commentary felt so unprofessional. Except Eddie and Daniels nobody could cut a promo, Corino and this other guy say that people need to beat up gays and in some matches you feel like they don't even talk about this match, they try to put over everything too much, a lot of the guys that were on the first show were like 2 year pros and had no idea what either gym or psychology is and so far saw some of the worst high flying matches I've ever seen (so many botches, everythings looks so bad, a lot of times it is clear that they hurt themselves more than their opponents). But after seeing the 2nd show I gotta say that it gets better, because they got rid of some bad inexperienced talent and instead gave us more of Low Ki, Bryan Danielson and Daniels (which might be my only reason to keep watching those shows, except having good laugh on bad indie wrestling every time Da Hit Squad or CSC come up at the screen). Hope to see you guys do more of those.

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:02 am

First, thanks for listening!

I agree with, well, your agreements. I think you can at least make an argument that the top end indie talent of the mid 2000s was superior to today's, but I don't think anyone can argue that the average level of polish of today's indie wrestlers is leagues above the average of the early 2000s. The guys at the very top of those early ROH cards were so far ahead of everyone else there that it's crazy. Everyone in an Evolve/PWG/AAW today would put to shame 70-80% of the performances on the first ROH shows, and that's not an exaggeration.

I will say that the indies pre-death of WCW/ECW were a very different scene, and the story of ROH's growth goes hand in hand with the story of what modern indie wrestling became. If you're up to show three, you've seen AJ Styles debut, and Doug Williams is coming in on show four. Samoa Joe isn't too far away. Paul London and Jay Briscoe will start developing into significant pieces, as will Homicide further down the line. Help's on the way, and I'm really interested in seeing how those shows hold up. I think part of the fun of the podcast will be that just enough time has passed that it really does feel like looking back at a previous era. There's going to be a lot of stuff that doesn't age well, as well as some things that young ROH did better than wrestling today.

I've gotten almost all my prep work for episode two done (Going to have a bit more background and structure I think, I'm very self-critical and always working on improving), so we'll probably record that episode in the next few days. Thanks for listening and replying. It's great to see people rewatching the shows with us.

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:47 am

http://www.thecubsfan.com/2017/04/10/th ... challenge/

We gave you time to get over your Mania week hangovers but now it's time for the second episode of ThROH The Years! We thank some listeners and use a couple of their contributions, delve into the fascinating world of what Dave Meltzer thought of indie wrestling/ROH/guys like Daniel Bryan 15 years ago, and then review ROH's second show, Round Robin Challenge. American Dragon vs. Christopher Daniels! Low Ki vs. American Dragon! Frank Talent! Talk about human excrement! Hobbes keeps his mic steady and has notes! Three hours of discussion! Come listen to the only ROH podcast that started in 2017 that ends an episode with talk of triple dating Daniel Bryan, it's ThROH The Years!

Hobbes

Re: ThROH The Years: A ROH retrospective podcast (Episode 2 Up!)

Post by Hobbes » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:03 am

Episode three of ThROH The Years is here!

On this episode Matt and Trevor review ROH's third show, Night of Appreciation. AJ Styles' ROH debut! Is Donnie B the worst announcer in wrestling history? Spanky has a major wardrobe malfunction! A gauntlet series with a surprising good match and a surprisingly disappointing one! Eddie Guerrero delivers one of the most raw real emotional moments in wrestling at a crazy crossroads in his life. We talk about it all and more!

http://http//media.blubrry.com/joeversu ... iation.mp3

Hobbes

Re: ThROH The Years: A ROH retrospective podcast (Episode 3 Up!)

Post by Hobbes » Sat May 06, 2017 4:31 pm

Episode four is here!

Matt and Trevor return to review ROH’s Road to the Title! The best show so far? The funniest show so far? We revisit one of the more famous single minutes of indie wrestling in fifteen years! We get invaded by the British! Why would you make out next to a dumpster? All is explained on the fourth episode of ThROH The Years!

http://www.thecubsfan.com/2017/05/05/th ... the-title/

Hobbes

Re: ThROH The Years: A ROH retrospective podcast (Episode 5 Up!)

Post by Hobbes » Fri May 26, 2017 11:06 pm

So, big announcement, with episode five the podcast has joined the Place 2 Be Nation podcast network! It's feed will be our new home from here on out and it's really cool to be joining so many other podcasts I listen to, including some with their own threads on this forum. The show will remain entirely the same, so that's either a threat or a promise, depending on how you feel about the show! We get into this near the top of today's episode but this has nothing to do with Cubs who is one of the nicest guys for giving us a place to exist in the first place. THANK YOU CUBS.

Oh, and we have our fifth episode up today! http://placetobenation.com/throh-the-ye ... a-champion ThROH The Years makes its Place To Be Nation debut! Each episode Matt and Trevor review a ROH show starting from the beginning. We open paying tribute to our old father Cubs and our new dad, PTBN/PWO, before reviewing Crowning a Champion! The literal hottest match in ROH history! A ton of blood! A lot of clipping! Multiple banana-based segments! We hope you enjoy it.​

Deman93

Post by Deman93 » Sun May 28, 2017 6:04 am

Just want to say that I love the podcast! I've caught every episode so far and think it's a blast going through and looking at the old ROH shows!

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes » Sun May 28, 2017 8:22 am

Thanks so much! Stuff like this keeps me going, and by going I mean getting dressed and out of bed every day.

elloziom

Post by elloziom » Mon May 29, 2017 6:25 pm

So far I've been up to date with all the shows and really liked all of them. Since there isn't any discussion here, I haven't been posting anything, but good job guys. I agree with a lot of your opinions. Wish that you could have done them more often than once a month/3 weeks, because right now I got well ahead of you (Right now I'm in April 2003). Also since you're already finishing with some guys' run in ROH (Boogalou, Spanky and Martitato are all gone in the next 3 shows) I would really like you guys to talk about them and their importance to ROH. Also am I the only one that is so amazed with the fact of how over SAT and Red are? I mean they aren't in any storylines, they don't seem to have any personality that even a guy like Deranged had and they mostly compete in botchy spotfests. I would really like somebody to explain that to me.

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes » Tue May 30, 2017 2:38 am

Thanks! I always love hearing from people.

On the schedule front, me and Matt's first priority is to keep this fun for us and not make it feel like an obligation. There may come a time when we even have to take a longer break (Matt has a trip in the summer, I have family obligations that can become crazy at the drop of a hat), but thankfully, our podcast isn't time sensitive except for people jonsing for a new episode, which is a feeling I know all too well about other podcasts. If only we had more hours in the day...well, actually, that just means you'd be waiting the same amount of hours but fewer days. Forget I said that.

Saying goodbye to talent leaving ROH is something as host that I'm going to try and spotlight a little, although I can't guarantee that we'll always have a ton to say or even remember a guy's last show. I think we'll most likely have things to say as we look back at Spanky's first ROH run, and there's an interesting story behind Boogalou's exit that you probably know already.

As for the SAT and Red, I know that fans of northeast indies at the time said that numerous guys, including the SAT, Hit Squad and Xavier, all performed way better in other promotions than ROH. This isn't just an opinion people make in hindsight, but something I've found looking back and reading reviews written at the time. Even a guy like Homicide doesn't really get to shine for this first half year. If I had more time I would love to go back and watch some other promotions from the era like JAPW and ECWA so I could compare and contrast some of these wrestler's performances, but I don't even have time to keep up with the modern stuff. The SAT are definitely a team I never "got" apart from the fact that the Spanish Fly was one of the hottest moves on the scene for awhile.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Tue May 30, 2017 9:55 am

I 1000% support your idea to not make it feel like an obligation. I think this project has huge long term potential and I'd hate to see you guys burn yourselves out early. Take your time and do it at your leisure dude.

Can't wait to listen to Road To The Title. As I noted on the latest DKP, it was my first ever ROH show and have really fond memories of it.

Deman93

Post by Deman93 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:57 pm

I personally love the series so far and while I do wish it was a little more consistent as far as how often the shows come out, I want you guys to have fun doing it. If it starts getting to a point with you guys where you see it as a job, I think you guys will have less enjoyment doing the podcast and the qualify will suffer so I'm all for you guys doing it whenever you guys have a chance. Ultimately, the main goal that I'm excited for you guys to get to is the Milestone Series in 2006 because that was my starting point for ROH and it has some of the best row of shows of any promotion I have ever seen.

Also, if you guys don't mind me asking, how are you guys able to get a lot of these shows? Do you already own a large majority of them, are you using the ROH Ringside Membership, eBay, downloading them, etc? I'm just curious because I own almost all of the 2002 shows but I don't own any 2003 shows so I'm trying to think of a way to get access to them so I can keep up and enjoy the shows with you guys.