WWE Royal Rumble 2016

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
BackLash

WWE Royal Rumble 2016

Post by BackLash » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:26 pm

I don't know how many of you are excited for the Royal Rumble, but seeing how close it is I felt a separate thread of discussion would be appropriate.

Matches
WWE World Heavyweight Championship 30-man Royal Rumble match - Roman Reigns (c) #1 entry, Brock Lesnar, Sheamus, Bray Wyatt, Braun Strowman, Luke Harper, Erick Rowan, Ryback, Neville, Dolph Ziggler, Titus O'Neil, Chris Jericho, Big Show, Curtis Axel, Stardust, R-Truth, TBD x14
WWE Intercontinental Championship Last Man Standing match - Dean Ambrose (c) vs. Kevin Owens
WWE United States Championship match - Alberto Del Rio (c) vs. Kalisto
WWE Divas Championship match - Charlotte (c) (with Ric Flair) vs. Becky Lynch
WWE Tag Team Championship match - The New Day (Big E, Kofi Kingston and/or Xavier Woods) (c) vs. The Usos (Jimmy Uso and Jey Uso)
Pre-Show: Fatal four-way tag team match - Darren Young and Damien Sandow vs. The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray Dudley and D-Von Dudley) vs. The Ascension (Konnor and Viktor) vs. Mark Henry and Jack Swagger (winning team gets into the Royal Rumble).

If nothing else, I am hyped for the Royal Rumble match, I always am despite the outcome. The fact that its for the title, even if the winner is obvious, is a nice little change. I also love that they put all the titles on the line for the event. Don't know about you guys, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
Last edited by BackLash on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ODonnell

Re: WWE Royal Rumble 2016

Post by ODonnell » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:34 pm

After spending a crap load last year to sit ringside and seeing one of the worst Rumbles ever booking wise, I'm keeping my expectations low.

But jesus christ is that undercard stacked. They all should be really good matches, not a single throwaway like last years had.

As Dave and Bryan were discussing on WOR the other day, for the simple fact that Flair mentioned Charlotte had already beat Becky twice, tells me that there's a good chance the title could change hands. Otherwise, it would be an epic burial of Becky to point out someone beat you three times in a row. But its WWE, so its possible.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:21 pm

I've always said the Royal Rumble is like pizza, even if it's bad... it's still pretty good. Even last year's poorly booked Rumble was still supremely entertaining. I contend that there's never been a truly BAD Royal Rumble, so I'm really excited. We'll have a preview up in the next few days as well as on this week's flagship podcast but there are a lot of ways the Rumble itself can go and that's always a good thing.

phenom951

Post by phenom951 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:48 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:I've always said the Royal Rumble is like pizza, even if it's bad... it's still pretty good. Even last year's poorly booked Rumble was still supremely entertaining. I contend that there's never been a truly BAD Royal Rumble, so I'm really excited. We'll have a preview up in the next few days as well as on this week's flagship podcast but there are a lot of ways the Rumble itself can go and that's always a good thing.
I hated last years match, and the 99 Rumble too. They're the Veggie Pizza of Royal Rumbles.

phenom951

Post by phenom951 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:48 pm

This Rumble may actually turn out to be pretty great, and then I'll absolutely turn on it once Triple H comes out and wins.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:50 pm

phenom951 wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:I've always said the Royal Rumble is like pizza, even if it's bad... it's still pretty good. Even last year's poorly booked Rumble was still supremely entertaining. I contend that there's never been a truly BAD Royal Rumble, so I'm really excited. We'll have a preview up in the next few days as well as on this week's flagship podcast but there are a lot of ways the Rumble itself can go and that's always a good thing.
I hated last years match, and the 99 Rumble too. They're the Veggie Pizza of Royal Rumbles.
You're on the money about the 99 Rumble. I'll still eat it but I'm going to put up a fuss about it (and actually, I'm re-releasing old Rumble Rewind episodes and this is one I was planning on posting either today or tomorrow). It's as Russo as you can even imagine with much of the action occurring backstage, so you're right.. that one was bad. Last year teetered on boring and just went off the rails once the Bryan stuff happened.

greenmanRD

Post by greenmanRD » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:27 pm

The Rumble last year was just such a poorly booked spectacle that it was like a train wreck. How people within the company thought last year's Rumble was going to get a positive response given what happened in 2014 is mind blowing.

The only problem I have with this year's Rumble is that with the title on the line, there's very few people who could foreseeably win it, even more so than usual. Before the prize was World Championship at Mania, which added suspense because that opens the avenue for a lot of different guys to win. But this year, there's very few choices on who could win, which hurts the match imo. But it could still be a good Rumble as they opened up the possibility for a lot of surprise entrants.

This year's Rumble card looks good though and all the undercard matches should get a ton of time since the Rumble segment itself is probably only going to take 1:15-1:25 or so. Leaves approximately 1:30 for four undercard matches, interviews and such. Could be a lot of fun.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:58 pm

See, I disagree slightly. I think it was just as, if not more predictable when it was the title shot. You always kinda had an idea of who was destined for that spot and while we still do have some clear names in mind for the actual title, I think there is more room for a surprise winner or someone we may not have thought about initially. Sure, it'll probably be the few names we're all thinking but I think there's definitely room for some fun surprises and intrigue in the winner.

rollup

Post by rollup » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:13 pm

whoever brock is facing at wrestlemania should be the one eliminating him I think .... and if triple h is screwing reigns I think he should enter at number 30

GuestTimekeeper

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:26 pm

I'm sure it's just the delusional optimist in me, but the Rumble winner should be someone who has never been champ before. HHH vs Reigns doesn't need the title to be a main event. Why not have the title on someone else, and promote multiple main events at Mania? I'm 100% behind Bray Wyatt winning and will die a little when Reigns clears out the entire Family.

Or, if I'm reeeeeally fantasy booking, AJ would win.

In any case, Ambrose vs Owens has tons of potential to match Cactus Jack vs HHH as the definitive brawl at a Rumble.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:33 pm

I'm right with you GuestTimekeeper, it's all a pipedream now but I think many of big feuds around Mania are just as big without the title: Reigns vs. HHH doesn't HAVE to be about the title now, it can be about more than that for now, Reigns dispatching The Authority is the bigger story there. Brock doesn't need to be in a title program, have someone eliminate him and there's your feud. That leaves it open for a number of new people to get involved and potentially win.

dylanjstx

Post by dylanjstx » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:40 pm

HHH and Reigns do the Luger/Hart thing to set up a WM match. Keeps the belt on Reigns as well. In a perfect world, Kevin Owens will eliminate Lesnar and there you have a nice feud. In a not so perfect world, which is what's most likely to happen, Wyatt will eliminate Lesnar.

CheezeWhiz

Post by CheezeWhiz » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:42 pm

I feel like Triple H at 30 is a lock because who could really follow that and not cause disappointment? Reigns/HHH doesn't have to be for the title, but what would the title program be exactly? It seems like the person who eliminates Brock has a Wrestlemania program automatically setup for them. Undertaker is the other big name that doesn't have a program and the show is in Texas, but I'm not sure who they would even put in a title program with Taker. I just don't see any other names (other than Roman or Hunter) winning it.

The undercard should be fine and with the (potentially) better names in the Rumble this year, I'm somewhat optimistic.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:47 pm

The undercard may be the most solid undercard of any show in a long time. Granted, the Rumble guts your ability to do much of anything else on the show unless you reuse people, but I doubt we'll see anyone reused from the undercard. Maybe Del Rio, and possibly Ambrose and/or Owens, but I'm assuming all three are one and done.

As others have said, each of the matches has the potential to be good. I think title changes in the tag and Divas matches make the most sense. Becky really needs to win for her to keep her momentum going, but I suspect Charlotte gets the title back before Mania.

Very curious to see if we see any surprise entrants in the Rumble. If Triple H is in the match, I'd guess any of the NJPW guys being in it might be less likely just because one surprise would probably diminish the other.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:01 pm

The Undertaker (c) vs. "The Miracle Healer" John Cena as your main event