WWE raids NJPW talent

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Morten VH

Re: WWE raids NJPW talent

Post by Morten VH » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:29 pm

That was a great and much needed summary of the situation so far. Certainly put the pieces together for me. Thanks Fray.

kjharris

Post by kjharris » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:14 pm

The Fray Movement wrote:With Nakamura, his contract is up as of 1/31/2016, as is all the "one year" New Japan deals. He offered to stay longer, as Devitt did, in order to make the transition smoother and to properly drop the IC title. Kidani told him to fuck off. So, he's working the CMLL shows and then doing the send off in Korakuen on 1/30, the day before his contract is up.
I'd argue that New Japan has pre-empted an Alberto Del Rio type situation from occurring by stripping Nakamura of the title. Sure, Nakamura is telling New Japan what they want to hear, but so did Alberto and we saw how that turned out for AAA. They had to get the title off Nakamura before January 31st. Anything else would have been foolhardy.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:21 pm

kjharris wrote:
The Fray Movement wrote:With Nakamura, his contract is up as of 1/31/2016, as is all the "one year" New Japan deals. He offered to stay longer, as Devitt did, in order to make the transition smoother and to properly drop the IC title. Kidani told him to fuck off. So, he's working the CMLL shows and then doing the send off in Korakuen on 1/30, the day before his contract is up.
I'd argue that New Japan has pre-empted an Alberto Del Rio type situation from occurring by stripping Nakamura of the title. Sure, Nakamura is telling New Japan what they want to hear, but so did Alberto and we saw how that turned out for AAA. They had to get the title off Nakamura before January 31st. Anything else would have been foolhardy.
If he was under contract until the 31st, then they could have had him dropped the title prior to then and there isn't anything WWE could do about it. There's nothing indicating he is debuting for WWE before the end of his contract and I'd be shocked to see him debut immediately thereafter either.

kjharris

Post by kjharris » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:33 pm

That's another way of handling it, sure. Stripping him was the only safe option though if they didn't want to waste an IC title defense on a Korakuen Hall show.

elloziom

Post by elloziom » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:10 pm

The Fray Movement wrote:
With Nakamura, his contract is up as of 1/31/2016, as is all the "one year" New Japan deals. He offered to stay longer, as Devitt did, in order to make the transition smoother and to properly drop the IC title. Kidani told him to fuck off. So, he's working the CMLL shows and then doing the send off in Korakuen on 1/30, the day before his contract is up.
Can you actually give a source that you heard from about Kidani telling him to fuck off? Really interested on that one.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:40 pm

kjharris wrote:That's another way of handling it, sure. Stripping him was the only safe option though if they didn't want to waste an IC title defense on a Korakuen Hall show.
If they end up having Omega vs. Tanahashi and having Omega go over, I think it's less wasting a match and more giving him credibility rather than beating a lame duck champion.

I'd have still done the match as it's always best to have a title change in the ring against the former champion.

sternness

Post by sternness » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:42 pm

The Fray Movement wrote:
elloziom wrote:
The Fray Movement wrote:
With Nakamura, his contract is up as of 1/31/2016, as is all the "one year" New Japan deals. He offered to stay longer, as Devitt did, in order to make the transition smoother and to properly drop the IC title. Kidani told him to fuck off. So, he's working the CMLL shows and then doing the send off in Korakuen on 1/30, the day before his contract is up.
Can you actually give a source that you heard from about Kidani telling him to fuck off? Really interested on that one.
In what situation does anyone name their source?

I was told a thing. I followed up with someone else. An hour later they come back with, "You were right."

So....

Can you actually name a dirt sheet?
I know you weren't asking me, but...

PWI.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:46 am

Voices of Wrestling

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:15 am

I misread a translation when the story broke and thought Nak was pulled from the entire tour. I tweeted out at least two apologies/corrections later after I saw the cards. I think I also tweeted something to the effect of NJPW essentially telling him to fuck off, but that was when I was working under the assumption that they yanked him from everything. So it may have started there.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:51 pm

http://pwinsider.com/article/98994/excl ... e.html?p=1
Japanese star Shinsuke Nakamura, who was stripped earlier this week of the IWGP Intercontinental championship by New Japan Pro Wrestling, will be coming to the United States for several weeks in early February to spend time at the WWE Performance Center, PWInsider.com has exclusively confirmed with a source in Japan.

According to the source, Nakamura will be training at the WWE Performance Center in Winter Park, FL and will also undergo medical testing (I would assume in Pittsburgh, where such testing is usually done) that, if he passes it, would clear Nakamura to sign with WWE.

As PWInsider.com noted last week, Nakamura reached out to WWE about their interest in signing him in early 2015. By the time the company responded, he had already signed a one year deal with NJPW. Nakamura will be finishing up with New Japan later this month.

Nakamura, 35, is considered one of the most charismatic talents in New Japan. He is three time IWGP Heavyweight champion and a five time IWGP Intercontinental champion.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:32 pm

I wonder what level of assurances he has. Seems dangerous to walk away from a sure thing when you have no idea if there's contract waiting for you here or not.

Makes me wonder if a little misdirection isn't being put out there, and if Nakamura didn't undergo some testing on one of his various NA trips last year. Or in his downtiem with NJPW

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:56 pm

Shining Wiz wrote:I wonder what level of assurances he has. Seems dangerous to walk away from a sure thing when you have no idea if there's contract waiting for you here or not.

Makes me wonder if a little misdirection isn't being put out there, and if Nakamura didn't undergo some testing on one of his various NA trips last year. Or in his downtiem with NJPW
If he underwent medicals in 2015, that will never surface. People are already talking about tampering (which is stupid imo, because you can not and never will be able to stop tampering in sports), but if something like that were to come out, Bushiroad would have WWE by the balls.

Also, medicals months before the fact are worthless. Might as well skip them altogether at that point.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:19 pm

I know everyone keeps throwing out the term "tampering", but if Nakamura negotiated and even SIGNED a contract with WWE that started AFTER his contract with NJPW ended, he is actually allowed to do that. Might be a company rule not to do that, but it's not tampering in the same sense that it would be if a NFL player signed with one team while still playing for another.

Someone with American law experience can contradict me if I'm wrong, but it's not a problem in Canada. Happens all the time. The only time you run into issues is if you induce a party into breaching a contract, or a non-compete or something like that.

Hollaplaya

Post by Hollaplaya » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:28 pm

I know this is what everybody has to do prior to signing with WWE, but I notice people, including news reporters, keep stressing that these 4 need to pass the WWE medicals beofre you can say they are signed. I don't recall it being pushed like this with others who have been signed in recent years when people knew they were heading to WWE. Makes me wonder if there are people close to these wrestlers who are maybe concerned about these guys going through the testing or something.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:38 am

Got some scoops to share, Rovert?