Suggestion: The 20 Greatest Wrestling Cards of All Time

rwa2play

Suggestion: The 20 Greatest Wrestling Cards of All Time

Post by rwa2play » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:22 pm

Listening to the latest edition of "da muthaship" had me thinking: What would the list of the twenty greatest wrestling cards ever look like?

Requisites:
  • Must've been between 1980-today (there are probably great matches that occurred earlier than that, but not sure if anybody could properly rate a match of that time period). I would split it between the decades as well because a match from say, 1982 would be completely different than a match from 2006.

Must have at least 3 matches that are rated at 4 1/2 stars or better or, at least six matches rated 4 stars or better.
    Cannot be a tour (i.e. no entire G1 tournament, one night of the tournament only).

Had to have been from the major promotions during that period. IOW WWF/WWE, NWA/WCW, AWA, NJPW, AJPW, All-Japan Women, etc.
It's probably been done before here but always wondered how good would a Wrestlemania X-7 look compared to a particularly great night during one year's G-1. Or the 1989 Great American Bash compared to a certain year's Champion's Carnival.

Any other suggestions?

elloziom

Re: Suggestion: The 20 Greatest Wrestling Cards of All Time

Post by elloziom » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:43 pm

There is no way there are 20 events in wrestling history with at least 6 **** matches. And neither Mania X-7 nor Great American Bash 89 had 6 **** matches. 4 matches at **** at best. The only event that I can think of that would be close to meeting those restrictions would be G1 show from 2014 when they had Ishii vs DBS Jr., Nakamura Vs Tanahashi & Shibata vs Honma(their famous encounter) and at that time a lot of people called it one of the Best cards of all time. With the 3 ****1/2+ matches I think that we could only nominale like 4 WrestleKingdoms, last year's King of Pro Wrestling and maybe some G1 shows. I can't think of a single WWE, WCW, ECW, ROH or TNA show that would meet the requirements, so I think we should get a Little easier to like 4 ****+ matches, so at least we can have a choice between some cards instead of listing maybe like 8-9 events that some people consider that good.