Why is every good match a MOTYC

Headlock

Why is every good match a MOTYC

Post by Headlock » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:33 pm

I was reading a New Japan review on this site, and in the review it is stated that the Never Triangle match where Kojima, Ricochet and Sydal won the titles was a shady MOTY, but that got me thinking why is every good match labled as an MOTYC.
Can something really be a match of the year contender, even so everyone knows that there are Tons of matches that are ultimatly better?
I really think the tearn MOTYC or MOTY get's thrown out alot, it feels like every **** is a match of the year contender, but shouldn't a true MOTY be something special, sure the Never Triangle match was probably good but was it really on the same level as real MOTYC like the big unit Dispantion match between Monster Express, VerserK and Dia.HEARTS or Styles/Nakamura?

Do I stand alone with this opinion, is every decent match a MOTYC or do you agree with me and think the term MOTYC should only Apple to matches that legedemetly are Matches of the year?
Last edited by Headlock on Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me leon

ceftaxias

Re: Why is every good match a MATYC

Post by ceftaxias » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:59 pm

Yeah people probably throw out the term too much. When there's people who give out multiple full fives a year, you can look at it like calling a match of any other rating a contender for the top match of the year is dumb, but on the other hand people have fun exaggerating their takes on wrestling and that's okay. Plus everyone's way of rating matches is different, we're all beautiful snowflakes. I mean those two matches you cited as motys aren't motys in my opinion.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:12 pm

To me, only ****1/2+ matches are considered MOTYCs.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:31 pm

Headlock wrote:I was reading a New Japan review on this site, and in the review it is stated that the Never Triangle match where Kojima, Ricochet and Sydal won the titles was a shady MOTY, but that got me thinking why is every good match labled as an MOTYC.
Can something really be a match of the year contender, even so everyone knows that there are Tons of matches that are ultimatly better?
I really think the tearn MOTYC or MOTY get's thrown out alot, it feels like every **** is a match of the year contender, but shouldn't a true MOTY be something special, sure the Never Triangle match was probably good but was it really on the same level as real MOTYC like the big unit Dispantion match between Monster Express, VerserK and Dia.HEARTS or Styles/Nakamura?

Do I stand alone with this opinion, is every decent match a MOTYC or do you agree with me and think the term MOTYC should only Apple to matches that legedemetly are Matches of the year?
I wrote the review, and my exact quote was "The best match of the night, and a shade below MOTY level." I gave the match ****1/4.

When you write a review, you are serving several masters. Some people are reading because they want to know if a show/match is worth their time. I try to point out what the best match is, what might be skippable, what matches that looked weak on paper surprised and are worth a look, etc.

To me, ****1/4 is knocking on the door of MOTY, but not quite there. ****1/2+ is MOTY level to me.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:13 am

****1/2+ is MOTY level match. In a calendar year, I'll throw out several ****3/4 on great matches but probably only 1 or 2 will reach the elusive 5. A good match is 3.25 to 4, these matches are good but not something to go out of your way to see. 4 and 4.25 are great matches to go out of your way to see but not MOTYC. 4.5 and above are amazing matches that are MOTYC.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:05 am

I think people over-use the term but mainly for a good cause: advertising a match they really liked that people should see. Like I saw a lot of people saying Hero vs Scurll at PROGRESS Chapter 31 was a MOTYC and while I disagree (it's very good, though, don't get me wrong and I'd recommend checking it out!), I think it's a way to promote the match and the promotion by labeling it. It's like saying a film is a must-see, it's not literally that the film is must-see and you can't rate any films if you don't see this one, it's just a way to hype it up so people will seek it out.

GOTNW

Post by GOTNW » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:37 am

ayaashm wrote:****1/2+ is MOTY level match. In a calendar year, I'll throw out several ****3/4 on great matches but probably only 1 or 2 will reach the elusive 5. A good match is 3.25 to 4, these matches are good but not something to go out of your way to see. 4 and 4.25 are great matches to go out of your way to see but not MOTYC. 4.5 and above are amazing matches that are MOTYC.
This really shows how ridiculous some of the ratings that people give are. A 8/10 match not being something worth going out of your way to see is insane. It's almost as if using snowflakes instead of numbers has resulted in folks easily giving higher grades due to the rating system being flashier and not widely used elsewhere. I don't even think twice about skipping something pimped over here unless people start throwing ****3/4 or the full five. If you think a three star match is below being not worth going out of your way to see why give it a good grade? 6/10 is good. If I get 6/10 at a harder exam I'm stoked. Are we giving points for wrestlers being trained properly? Does anyone over here think their average rating if they watched all wrestling would truly be average? What is the "bad wrestling" anyway? Is a backyard match two stars?

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:21 pm

GOTNW wrote:
ayaashm wrote:****1/2+ is MOTY level match. In a calendar year, I'll throw out several ****3/4 on great matches but probably only 1 or 2 will reach the elusive 5. A good match is 3.25 to 4, these matches are good but not something to go out of your way to see. 4 and 4.25 are great matches to go out of your way to see but not MOTYC. 4.5 and above are amazing matches that are MOTYC.
This really shows how ridiculous some of the ratings that people give are. A 8/10 match not being something worth going out of your way to see is insane. It's almost as if using snowflakes instead of numbers has resulted in folks easily giving higher grades due to the rating system being flashier and not widely used elsewhere. I don't even think twice about skipping something pimped over here unless people start throwing ****3/4 or the full five. If you think a three star match is below being not worth going out of your way to see why give it a good grade? 6/10 is good. If I get 6/10 at a harder exam I'm stoked. Are we giving points for wrestlers being trained properly? Does anyone over here think their average rating if they watched all wrestling would truly be average? What is the "bad wrestling" anyway? Is a backyard match two stars?

Haha, I mean it's cool that you Don't like my way of rating but it's MY way of thinking about a match.Bad wrestling (to me atleast) is one where you're botching everything left and right. See, a backyard match can be 4 stars or 2 stars IMO. It depends on what things you consider while you're grading the match. For example, let's take 2 matches 1) Dragon gate dead or alive match this year. It was such a great match. It told such a greay story. If that match happens in a backyard fed with 5 people who aren't reacting, It will go down a notch or two. But, in a vaccum the match is still great. So, people and their reactions are definitely a factor. The work in the match is a factor and the story told (coherency) is a factor. A Trent? Vs Trevor Lee match was good because the work was good but the people were burnt out so there big stuff didn't get much of a reaction. Does that mean the match was bad? No, absolutely not. In a vaccum the match was great but the audience didn't like it as much so it went down a star.
2) Lashley x Galloway x EC3 in the Impact zone. It was a good 3.5 or 3.75 star match because of the work but goddamnit everything feels so dead in that arena that I just couldn't get into it as much but I saw that the work was good. So, it was a good match but I will probably never see it again nor will I recommend it.
This Is how I view matches.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

dylanjstx

Post by dylanjstx » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:07 pm

Because wrestling is so great right now, I have ****1/2 matches and ****3/4 matches that I wouldn't sniff the top of my MOTY list, granted I am very loose with my ratings, meaning if I like a match, I'm not afraid to give it a good amount of stars. I have three ***** matches this year, lots of ****3/4 matches, over 300 ****+ matches in total this year. Everyone's different, that's just how I am. The other day on Twitter I said YAMATO vs. Tozawa from June 11th was a hair below MOTY level. I had that match at ****1/2. Any other year, that may have been considered a true MOTYC, but again, because wrestling is so great, I wouldn't put it at that level as there are too many matches I have above that one.

I think the whole MOTYC thing is just something people say to give others an idea of how good a match was. I've seen people call matches a MOTYC and then forget about it two weeks later (happens all the time with decent little RAW matches that people go overboard with). I try to avoid doing it, but it happens sometimes.

dylanjstx

Post by dylanjstx » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:09 pm

suplexberry wrote:I think people over-use the term but mainly for a good cause: advertising a match they really liked that people should see. Like I saw a lot of people saying Hero vs Scurll at PROGRESS Chapter 31 was a MOTYC and while I disagree (it's very good, though, don't get me wrong and I'd recommend checking it out!), I think it's a way to promote the match and the promotion by labeling it. It's like saying a film is a must-see, it's not literally that the film is must-see and you can't rate any films if you don't see this one, it's just a way to hype it up so people will seek it out.
That's a very good way of putting it.

ceftaxias

Post by ceftaxias » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:48 pm

GOTNW wrote:I don't even think twice about skipping something pimped over here unless people start throwing ****3/4 or the full five.
This is devolving into a really nerdy discussion but I'm fully in agreement here. People are saying that these flashy ratings are done to promote matches they really loved, and of course that really does drive people to seek the match in most cases, but for me personally it just devalues how special a great match is when some run of the mill Dragon Gate match is given like four and a half.

I've only really thought of rating matches starting this year and the highest snowflakes I've given for a 2016 match is four and a quarter, which to me is an out of this world fantastic match. I like to look at it as if a five star match is one of the greatest matches of all time, so is a random Marty Scurll match that gets ****3/4 just below being in the discussion for the best match ever? If it is, then I think that just makes the whole idea of rating matches pointless.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:10 am

Calling something a "MOTYC contender" is the graps equivalent of the classic journalism/click bait hook of "If you only read one thing about X today, read this".

JML

Post by JML » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:21 pm

Ferrante207 wrote:Calling something a "MOTYC contender" is the graps equivalent of the classic journalism/click bait hook of "If you only read one thing about X today, read this".
Or how people on Twitter call every music album that comes out a "classic". Cult classic was a term for a reason.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:59 pm

ceftaxias wrote:
GOTNW wrote:I don't even think twice about skipping something pimped over here unless people start throwing ****3/4 or the full five.
This is devolving into a really nerdy discussion but I'm fully in agreement here. People are saying that these flashy ratings are done to promote matches they really loved, and of course that really does drive people to seek the match in most cases, but for me personally it just devalues how special a great match is when some run of the mill Dragon Gate match is given like four and a half.

I've only really thought of rating matches starting this year and the highest snowflakes I've given for a 2016 match is four and a quarter, which to me is an out of this world fantastic match. I like to look at it as if a five star match is one of the greatest matches of all time, so is a random Marty Scurll match that gets ****3/4 just below being in the discussion for the best match ever? If it is, then I think that just makes the whole idea of rating matches pointless.
I'd say I see around one match per year that would qualify as an all time great or one of the best matches of all time. I don't put the past on a pedestal. I'll paraphrase something Alan said one time in my own words, in that I have no fucking fear of comparing today's great stuff to anything great from the past or to any sacred cow. I think today's wrestling is as good as ever, and probably better.

With that said, I think I've doled out around ten 5-star matches ever. Maybe less, I can think of about eight off the top of my head. Some years have zero.

There are conservative graders, and easy markers. The key, just like with movies or TV, is to know your reviewer. Alan Sepinwall almost never leads me astray with TV reviews, for example.

Meltzer "overrates" anything with Randy Orton, Chris Jericho, or ladders. The guys at Segunda Caida will throw mountains of praise at luchagrapple that puts me to sleep. Alan is a happy m'fer who loves his puro and isn't afraid to throw lots of stars at stuff he likes.

Me personally, I watch wrestling to enjoy it. I try not to be hypercritical. Things that are important to me are excitement, action, well placed big moves, drama. I appreciate great selling more than I hate bad selling. A hot crowd helps. High stakes helps. Everything matters. Some things matter less than others, some things matter more depending on situation.

With all of that said, I don't take it that seriously. The match ends, I have a rating in mind, I slap it on the sheet. I very rarely overthink it. At the end of the day, it's a rating for a wrestling match. Who the fuck cares if some grump on the internet thinks I went a half star too high or if some fanboy of the promotion thinks I went a half star too low?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:01 pm

Ferrante207 wrote:Calling something a "MOTYC contender" is the graps equivalent of the classic journalism/click bait hook of "If you only read one thing about X today, read this".
Or maybe it just means "MOTYC".

Something like 200 different matches receive votes in our MOTY poll. I'd say anything that can crack the top ten of any of those lists is worthy of being dubbed a MOTYC.

Why are we so afraid to praise things? This is supposed to be fun, guys.