Okada's Stage: The Rainmaker Reigns Supreme Again

Blue_Period

Okada's Stage: The Rainmaker Reigns Supreme Again

Post by Blue_Period » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:37 pm

I have been trying to post in the comments section of the article but I kept getting a wordpress javascript + cookies error message. I have both of those turned on and have commented on articles in the past, not sure what the issue is. I couldn't find anywhere else to comment on the article, hope it's okay starting a new topic like this. I am, ahem, less-than-active on the forums to say the least, but wanted to leave a comment on this particular piece.

Excellent article Rich. It provides much needed perspective on the title change. I missed the post-match promo, and I thought your piece did a nice job of covering that as well as putting it into the proper context. I admit, going into Dominion I thought that NJPW would have been crazy to make the switch so soon into Naito’s reign. I have enjoyed his heel run to such an extent that certain aspects get clouded. In retrospect, it seems obvious to once again have Okada as champion. Sometimes the big picture gets clearer if you take a step back, sort of like with a Monet painting. This piece exemplifies the reasons that Voices of Wrestling is my favorite site. Any time that an article can open up my eyes to an alternate view of an issue, that is a special thing. If I want knee-jerk reactions, I go elsewhere. If I want well thought out, intelligent, level-headed articles and opinions, VOW is the only choice.

Also, fantastic Star Wars shirt in the author photo. I have the same one- great material, so comfortable, one of my favs. Cheers!

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: Okada's Stage: The Rainmaker Reigns Supreme Again

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:22 pm

Blue_Period wrote:Sometimes the big picture gets clearer if you take a step back, sort of like with a Monet painting.
Good post, and I always say this, but you you should post more. I agree that Rich did a really great job with it.

I wanted to highlight this small part thought, and not even in relation to Okada/Naito, because It's something I try to hammer home on audio nearly every week, but I think wrestling fans are highly emotional by nature and over reactionary to the little things. The big picture is often lost.

Relating back to Rich's piece, Naito will be fine.

Murrr

Post by Murrr » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:55 pm

Blue_Period wrote:I have been trying to post in the comments section of the article but I kept getting a wordpress javascript + cookies error message. I have both of those turned on and have commented on articles in the past, not sure what the issue is. I couldn't find anywhere else to comment on the article, hope it's okay starting a new topic like this. I am, ahem, less-than-active on the forums to say the least, but wanted to leave a comment on this particular piece.

Excellent article Rich. It provides much needed perspective on the title change. I missed the post-match promo, and I thought your piece did a nice job of covering that as well as putting it into the proper context. I admit, going into Dominion I thought that NJPW would have been crazy to make the switch so soon into Naito’s reign. I have enjoyed his heel run to such an extent that certain aspects get clouded. In retrospect, it seems obvious to once again have Okada as champion. Sometimes the big picture gets clearer if you take a step back, sort of like with a Monet painting. This piece exemplifies the reasons that Voices of Wrestling is my favorite site. Any time that an article can open up my eyes to an alternate view of an issue, that is a special thing. If I want knee-jerk reactions, I go elsewhere. If I want well thought out, intelligent, level-headed articles and opinions, VOW is the only choice.

Also, fantastic Star Wars shirt in the author photo. I have the same one- great material, so comfortable, one of my favs. Cheers!
It was a great article (exactly the type of in-depth commentary that I come to VOW for), and this is a great post.

Patience is so important, especially when it comes to Japanese wrestling. Even today, when NJPW is more accessible than ever before, so many people are still looking for cheap thrills and instant gratification (which I think is one of the Attitude Era's biggest long-term scars, but that's another matter), when it's pretty clear that Gedo is booking for something much bigger.

I think it's important to talk about Naito's story here. Yes, he's brilliant. Yes, most of us wanted him to have a long, successful title run. On a surface level, it's a shame that he only lasted a couple of months, but here's the thing: we are very, *very* early into Naito's career as a genuine NJPW main eventer. This is the very beginning of his story. The guy will be one of New Japan's top guys for a very long time. It's okay to not like the result, but I cringe whenever I hear people talk about "burials" and so forth. Get in the bin with that.

Naito has proven that when it comes to shenanigans and fuckery, he has Okada's number. He has the better of Okada when he can stack the odds against him by cheating and creating diversions: see Invasion Attack, and a lot of the recent LIJ/Chaos tag matches. At Dominion, Okada stripped all of that away, said "you fight me in a fair environment, one-on-one, pure and simple," and Naito fell short. He couldn't do it.

So Naito goes back to the drawing board. He cannot, as things stand, defeat Okada in a fair one-on-one situation. That's the story. Okada is the ace, and Naito has some distance to go before he's able to truly match him without calling on his stablemates. But he's going to learn how to do exactly that. He's gonna come up against further hurdles along them way, just like this one, and he's going to figure-out how to hop over them. When he *does* finally put all the pieces together, he's going to have that long-ass title reign everyone was clamouring for, before he'll have improved as an athlete and competitor.

That's how I see it, at least. The Okada/Naito feud is only starting to blossom. I can't wait to see it pan-out.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:12 pm

Murrr wrote:
Blue_Period wrote:I have been trying to post in the comments section of the article but I kept getting a wordpress javascript + cookies error message. I have both of those turned on and have commented on articles in the past, not sure what the issue is. I couldn't find anywhere else to comment on the article, hope it's okay starting a new topic like this. I am, ahem, less-than-active on the forums to say the least, but wanted to leave a comment on this particular piece.

It was a great article (exactly the type of in-depth commentary that I come to VOW for), and this is a great post.

Patience is so important, especially when it comes to Japanese wrestling. Even today, when NJPW is more accessible than ever before, so many people are still looking for cheap thrills and instant gratification (which I think is one of the Attitude Era's biggest long-term scars, but that's another matter), when it's pretty clear that Gedo is booking for something much bigger.

I think it's important to talk about Naito's story here. Yes, he's brilliant. Yes, most of us wanted him to have a long, successful title run. On a surface level, it's a shame that he only lasted a couple of months, but here's the thing: we are very, *very* early into Naito's career as a genuine NJPW main eventer. This is the very beginning of his story. The guy will be one of New Japan's top guys for a very long time. It's okay to not like the result, but I cringe whenever I hear people talk about "burials" and so forth. Get in the bin with that.

Naito has proven that when it comes to shenanigans and fuckery, he has Okada's number. He has the better of Okada when he can stack the odds against him by cheating and creating diversions: see Invasion Attack, and a lot of the recent LIJ/Chaos tag matches. At Dominion, Okada stripped all of that away, said "you fight me in a fair environment, one-on-one, pure and simple," and Naito fell short. He couldn't do it.

So Naito goes back to the drawing board. He cannot, as things stand, defeat Okada in a fair one-on-one situation. That's the story. Okada is the ace, and Naito has some distance to go before he's able to truly match him without calling on his stablemates. But he's going to learn how to do exactly that. He's gonna come up against further hurdles along them way, just like this one, and he's going to figure-out how to hop over them. When he *does* finally put all the pieces together, he's going to have that long-ass title reign everyone was clamouring for, before he'll have improved as an athlete and competitor.

That's how I see it, at least. The Okada/Naito feud is only starting to blossom. I can't wait to see it pan-out.

I think Okada has some thinking go do as well and maybe this is where he unleashes that super finisher that he's talked about for years. Naito did kick out of that Rainmaker and they don't do that very often, only one guy has ever done it and that to me put Naito in the same echelon as Tana and Okada
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/