Forum Changes/Suggestions (Sept 2019)

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Forum Changes/Suggestions (Sept 2019)

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:05 pm

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to read this! You may notice some subtle changes to the forums over the next days/weeks as we try to re-invigorate the VOW Forums. Right now we have a very devoted group of folks still using it (and I want to thank each and everyone of you) but we want to stimulate some growth here and hopefully get new people on the board giving their thoughts on the world of wrestling.

That's where you guys come in. What would you like to see? What is preventing you from posting more often? What would you like to see change about the forums? Any suggestions (as long as they are constructive) are welcomed!

mlev76

Re: Forum Changes/Suggestions (Sept 2019)

Post by mlev76 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:09 pm

I'd like to see more people posting and more often. I don't know if it's a lack of awareness, a general aversion to forums in general or the need for forums now being replaced by Twitter.

As for the format, it's fine as is.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Just more activity especially in the non wrestling forums. Let’s get some sports talk going.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:17 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:09 pm
I'd like to see more people posting and more often. I don't know if it's a lack of awareness, a general aversion to forums in general or the need for forums now being replaced by Twitter.

Yeah I'm not sure if it's just that people don't want to use forums or people are finding something unappealing about these ones so I'm hoping to change/re-work things to generate more activity. It's a way better medium for big picture discussions than Twitter but people likely prefer the excitement you generate from real-time discussions, likes, RTs, etc. on Twitter and the like over the classic forum. We'll see.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:25 pm

Ckkj14 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:10 pm
Just more activity especially in the non wrestling forums. Let’s get some sports talk going.
That would be a lot of fun. Hopefully. I'm guilty of not posting here nearly enough as well.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:39 pm

I'm not much of a forum tech nerd, so I can't speak as to what does or doesn't attract people. My main haunts as far as 'forums' go is Reddit, here, Twitter and a bunch of XenForo forums. The XenForo forums tend to have a lot of modality, but they're pretty expensive to maintain so I'm not sure I'd suggest it for a small traffic forum like VOW.

DylanWaco

Post by DylanWaco » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:47 am

No one likes to hear this, but forums need antagonism - or at the very least adversarial relationships - to thrive. If you look at the golden age of forums (ridiculous term I know) they were filled with great debates, not huge catalogues of star ratings without context or very general comments on shows. In the era of Twitter I'm not sure it's possible to have a hugely active forum, but I do think you can have a more active one if you end up with a few knock down, drag out topics that drive engagment. Of course whether that is desirable for the community aspect is a separate question, but I think that is really the only way to increase relevance/use of a forum.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:35 am

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:17 pm
mlev76 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:09 pm

Yeah I'm not sure if it's just that people don't want to use forums or people are finding something unappealing about these ones so I'm hoping to change/re-work things to generate more activity. It's a way better medium for big picture discussions than Twitter but people likely prefer the excitement you generate from real-time discussions, likes, RTs, etc. on Twitter and the like over the classic forum. We'll see.
Quantity, not quality. I don't know any wrestling forums with tons of activity that don't also happen to attract the lowest common denominator.