Most Improved

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Most Improved

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:59 am

This is always interesting to see people's perceptions and also how they interpret the award. Some take it as "this person was bad and now they are good", others see it as "they were good but now they are great", and I think for me it's just who made greatest gains regardless of the start point.

Jordan Devlin instantly comes to mind for me. I saw him as someone who was FINE and a bit overrated, to where now I think he's one of the best 50 in the world.

rovert

Re: Most Improved

Post by rovert » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:44 am

*Waves fist at Jordan*

I like this award and will think about it a bit more than others. But I say offhand Carmella, Tony Nese, Xia Li, Karen Q, Liv Morgan, Buddy Murphy, Juice Robinson, Momo Watanabe, Lucky Kid, Allie Kat, Sho Tanaka, MJF and Deonna Purrazzo.

Austin Theory was a stone cold flop in this regard.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:57 am

rovert wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:44 am
*Waves fist at Jordan*

I like this award and will think about it a bit more than others. But I say offhand Carmella, Tony Nese, Xia Li, Karen Q, Liv Morgan, Buddy Murphy, Juice Robinson, Momo Watanabe, Lucky Kid, Allie Kat, Sho Tanaka, MJF and Deonna Purrazzo.

Austin Theory was a stone cold flop in this regard.
I hadn't thought of Buddy Murphy, but he might be your winner.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:03 am

Kyle Fletcher, Harlow and Holidead need a mention too.

Lio Rush on 205 Live impressed me a lot this week in particular. Both as a wrestler - not an indie spot guy anymore and the pressure cooker of Raw and being micromanaged by Vince has improved his promo skills a lot.

In January I thought he was one step from being fired.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:10 am

Becky Lynch is the flavour of the month obviously. And her status could change in a few weeks.

I said in jest on Twitter in July that Becky would have the belt already if she dropped the tea time and Becky Balboa stuff. But it actually came to pass.

Becky in the last year has been through a lot of personal stuff, "worked on herself" and put a few ghosts to bed about her past relating to the circumstances around her retirement and the guilt as she carried around it. She has only talked about it in her most recent interviews. Back in the day she even went to bereavement counselling about leaving Wrestling it was really extreme. Her mother was really against her Wrestling from the beginning and doubly so when she suffered an eye/head injury in 2006 - someone basically untrained landed on her head completely flat when Becky gave her a German Suplex. Becky at the time was doing competitive bodybuilding and was really emaciated leaving the nerve endings in her head more exposed and really weak in general as she lost so much weight. Doing the media rounds before Evolution she finally opened up publicly to Nina Strauss about battling bulimia over the years.

Outside of the Evolution match, I can't really make a case for Becky in ring. But it has been a supremely weak year in ring for WWE at same time.

But as a commodity Becky has become the first person jobbed out in the Women's Survivor Series match last year to constantly laying out Charlotte and sonning Ronda Rousey on social media.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:33 am

Baszler for me. I can't really remember what Lacey Evans was like at the start of the year compared to now and I don't know if Lars has improved or just been used more, but Baszler's grown into being champion on NXT and started the year with the bad Ember Moon match where it was laid out all weird, as though maybe they didn't trust her.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:34 pm

Buddy Murphy

Went from being someone i would have thought should be cut to one of the best wrestlers this year

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:25 pm

Yep this must have been satisfying

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:47 pm

Came here to say Buddy Murphy. He was solidly a GUY before this year and now he's arguably one of their best in-ring wrestlers.

He's my easy pick.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:21 pm

See, I think Murphy was already really good when he was just doing jobs towards the end of his NXT run. But, I've voted for Miz in this before, so I don't necessarily have a problem with people voting based on improved status or improved output.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:35 pm

Ronda and its not close

Goat

Post by Goat » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:17 pm

Jay White on January 4th and Jay White today is an immense difference.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:50 pm

Goat wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:17 pm
Jay White on January 4th and Jay White today is an immense difference.
As an overall character 100%. Not sure his in ring has got that much better though, he's always been good. I'd say Hangman

Angry216

Post by Angry216 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:53 pm

Buddy is a pretty good pick and he would be my choice. Liv and Lio Rush are interesting candidates. Kaito Ishida from DG has improved a lot too but yeah, Buddy would get my vote.