Best Non Wrestler

cbacon87

Best Non Wrestler

Post by cbacon87 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:51 pm

I think this is one of the more interesting categories this year, because you're probably going to get a first time winner with Cueto and Heyman nowhere near as relevant and last year's winner Bryan unretired.

My guess would be that Zelina Vega is going to win, but there's a few contenders. Drake Maverick has two lines of non-wrestling work to draw off of and I think both Konnan and King have a real case for the LAX feud as well. Then there's your fringe contenders (Lana, Brandi), your mainstays (Heyman, Cueto) and your non-wrestlers who actually wrestle but might get votes anyway (Gedo, English, Rocky).

Personally, I'd like to see one of Konnan and King get it, if only because that's what dragged me back into paying attention to Impact.

rovert

Re: Best Non Wrestler

Post by rovert » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:59 pm

Stokely and Scarlet Bordeaux count?

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:23 pm

Would love Stokely here.

I think if we've soured on Heyman, Regal deserves some love for this year. "Overwhelmed principal at a school for the entitled" is a good role for him

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:54 pm

Unmentioned: Salina de la Renta, who has improved before our eyes on the fly

You can almost argue Zelina Vega is in the Gedo/Rocky/English category of wrestler who manages

Konnan's MLW stuff adds to his case, too.

It won't be Johnny Saint. Woof.

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:12 am

Jeff Hawkins wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:23 pm
Would love Stokely here.

I think if we've soured on Heyman, Regal deserves some love for this year. "Overwhelmed principal at a school for the entitled" is a good role for him
Regal spent most of the year mysteriously absent.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:51 pm

This is a pretty horrid year for the category. It may be like Zelina Vega for her early months of 2018? That doesn't seem very interesting though. I'm at a loss, really. Stokley I suppose is a good pick but he doesn't seem to have an extensive resume.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:48 pm

rovert wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:12 am
Regal spent most of the year mysteriously absent.
in terms of sheer amount of product that's something in his favor, as opposed to Zelina Vega who started out special and then they killed her aura with week after week tranquilo spots and interference/becoming a player character.

if that character had evolved in a natural arc after Almas becomes a champion, and they had written anything competent on the main roster, it'd be a different story.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:51 pm

Penelope Ford? Brandi Rhodes?

Vega was better than both in the "valet who isn't afraid to get physical with men and interferes at the perfect time" role, but for only half the year.

King(ston) had the best promos. Leaning Konnan for work in two places.

KLC

Post by KLC » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:57 am

TAKA Michinoku is a dark horse for me, have loved his work as ZSJ's hype man.

Angry216

Post by Angry216 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:26 pm

Weird year as there isn't a clear cut favorite and I only think there's like four credible winners(I'm personally not voting for Heyman or Cuerto. Haven't soured on Heyman per say, but there's fresher candidates that I enjoy more this year. And I don't watch LU.).

LOVE Stokley. He's awesome and could win.

Salina and Konan have been my two favorites. I agree with Joe about Salina, her presence and her promos improve over time. She's an important part of MLW (leader of the main heel unit) and her stuff with Konan I've enjoyed a lot. Konan's Impact stuff and being apart of the one of the best feuds of the year will help him a lot for me.

TAKA is worth considering and if I think more about it, maybe he'll win for me? He's definitely played a big role in ZSJ's elevation in NJPW. That's undeniable. His pre match promos are a highlight and the crowd loves them too.

Vega would have been a slam dunk but her going to the main roster kills her chances of her winning. I would consider Scarlet over Vega at this point purely because Scarlet is the much hotter(no pun intended I swear) act currently.

So, Salina, Konan, TAKA, Stokley and probably Scarlet. Three of them will make my ballot.

Angry216

Post by Angry216 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:30 pm

Just thought about Paige. She was good in her role. I don't think she tops the people I mentioned above, but still.