Most Outstanding

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Most Outstanding

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:14 pm

I've got Will Ospreay and WALTER 1-2 as of right now, but I've got a pile of matches from both guys that I pulled off YouTube that i'm going to burn through over the next two days that could vault WALTER ahead.

I don't see a serious main roster WWE contender with people like Styles, Bryan, Roman putting in sub par years. I'm not nearly high enough on Rollins to consider him, but I think he'll be the highest placing WWE main roster wrestler.

I'm curious how the 205 Live guys will do. Buddy Murphy, Mustafa Ali, Ced.

I think Gargano will do better than hardcores expect. Almas really disappeared on the main roster. Strong might be the best overall WWE worker this year but a lot of it is tag team stuff. Same for KOR and Bate, but Bate has indie stuff to pad the resume too.

Omega will do better than people want to admit. He could even win. Tanhashi, Okada, Naito will do well, not sure any should seriously challenge. KOta has singles and tags.

ZSJ has the NJPW resume which is important, and a ton of other great stuff. He's a darkhorse.

Fenix, like Ospreay, has great stuff all over the world in all kinds of promotions.

Kento Miyahara delivers, but his resume is lacking in depth compared to others.

Riddle was great but lost half of the year when he signed. Gresham is a niche choice but lacks high profile stuff. Travis Banks won me over the more I watched.

Takashi Sugiura is coming on late, but I don't think he can seriously challenge. Top ten is possible.

Then there is Takeda. Tough promotion and style to gain traction, but I guess we'll see where a deathmatch guy can top out in this era.

rovert

Re: Most Outstanding

Post by rovert » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:12 am

You've comprehensively covered everything but I hope Jordynne Grace or Tessa Blanchard at some level of minor/niche consideration.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:48 am

It feels like either Ospreay or WALTER's year, but I can see Omega winning (to be fair, I'm much higher on his in-ring year than others). ZSJ has a great resume & should challenge, but I can't see him winning. Feel that Ibushi has an underrated case for Most Outstanding. Awesome G1 Climax & a lot of other great matches throughout the year. Not to mention Ishii as well, but he always has great years & there is less chance of him winning this year than other years.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:24 am

rovert wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:12 am
You've comprehensively covered everything but I hope Jordynne Grace or Tessa Blanchard at some level of minor/niche consideration.
I'm genuinely curious about the case/resume for Grace or Blanchard for Most Outstanding, because I think that female wrestlers like Shirai, Satomura, Storm, Watanabe, Baszler etc would have stronger support. I wouldn't even consider those wrestlers being close to Most Outstanding.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:56 pm

My top four right now are, not in order, Ospreay, Omega, Ibushi and Riddle. And while I think I'll probably go with Ospreay, I think Riddle deserves more credit for not only consistency but big time highlights (his matches with Ospreay, ZSJ, and David Starr amongst them). He really got at least 2/3 of the year of high end stuff and may even get a great Takeover match if they pull the trigger on him vs. Ohno.

Ed.

Post by Ed. » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:54 pm

Walter and Sabre Jr are my 1-2 with Walter way in front and such a drop off after Sabre Jr that it's been a two horse race in my eyes since Zack won NJ Cup. I'd have Ospreay, Ibushi, Ishii and Roddy in that tier just below them so I wouldn't mind any of them winning. Roddy has been the best under WWE contract for me when you add in his 205 Live matches.

I have Walter down at 50 matches that I would say at minimum they are really good and worth a watch, and half of them are legit great. He has my OTT MOTY, my Evolve MOTY, my wXw MOTY, and the Sabre Jr and Thatcher matches are probably the best two matches in Progress history. I don't even want to think how bad their product would be without Walter this year. By the time I watch BOLA, he'll probably have my PWG MOTY too. My top 10 matches of the year will be heavily dominated by the Ring General.

packerman120

Post by packerman120 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:57 am

It's Ospreay and frankly, there isn't anyone else who is close.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:36 pm

Kota Ibushi for me. His G1 run was the greatest set of matches over a period i've ever seen. Throw in his tag match v Young Bucks and a handful of other matches I'll take him

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:13 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:56 pm
My top four right now are, not in order, Ospreay, Omega, Ibushi and Riddle. And while I think I'll probably go with Ospreay, I think Riddle deserves more credit for not only consistency but big time highlights (his matches with Ospreay, ZSJ, and David Starr amongst them). He really got at least 2/3 of the year of high end stuff and may even get a great Takeover match if they pull the trigger on him vs. Ohno.
The key for Riddle will be a strong conclusion to the year. In that same sense if Ospreay doesn't come back and he's closed the door on his year, he could struggle too. It may be WALTER's to win.

Fun year, there are a lot of legit contenders.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:53 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:14 pm
I'm curious how the 205 Live guys will do. Buddy Murphy, Mustafa Ali, Ced.
Mustafa Ali has had a sneaky great 2018.