Tag Team of the Year

syxxpakk

Tag Team of the Year

Post by syxxpakk » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:05 pm

Kyle O'Reilly and Roddy Strong really making a strong argument for themselves.
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: Tag Team of the Year

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:27 pm

Five months later, and it's hard to deny the bell to bell of O'Reilly & Strong. Mustache Mountain has to be considered for being their dance partners for a good chunk of their best stuff, but I haven't seen anything outside of that feud that has blown me away. UE has the Orcan & Burch match, for example. If you count the entire unit, you have six man matches with Cole and even KOR & Fish vs Authors of Pain in January.

Bucks are a boring pick, but always legit contenders. Ive got them with six 4-star+ matches in NJPW (some are multi man tags) and they've killed it in ROH both in big matches and on TV. The Bucks best stuff is early in the year.

I've loved the work of Desperado & Kanemaru all year long. R3K will get votes.

It's not a deep category this year. Violent Giants have had a down year imo, All Japan as a whole hasnt been great and they've had injuries. Not enough from Dickinson & Jaka. No US indie team had a big traveling year. No one stands out from NOAH.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:34 pm

The top main roster WWE teams have cooled off majorly. The Bucks seemed headed for a lock of a year through the first half of the year, but their actual tag work (they've had five straight up tag matches in the second half of the year) has dropped off in the last few months. So, then you look at O'Reilly and Strong. They've been on fire since coming together post Mania weekend, but they haven't had a ton of matches that made tape either. With that said, the MM series of matches was the best tag feud this year and they haven't had a match less than very good this year.

If you add in the extra stuff, I think the Bucks still have it, but Strong/O'Reilly have been so good that it isn't a lock

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:59 am

The Bucks could be "smeared" by it being tagged as reputational than an actual pick. But would have to interrogate each voter to see if they've watched ROH TV consistently this year.

Personally Strong/O'Reilly still have the edge.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:28 am

Got to be The Young Bucks. They are the boring pick, but the best pick. I think Golden Lovers will get a good number of votes.

I wonder how well Aussie Open will go in the voting, because they have probably been the best tag team in the UK.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:37 pm

syxxpakk wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:05 pm
Kyle O'Reilly and Roddy Strong really making a strong argument for themselves.
For some reason, they didn't pop off the screen for me initially when I read this but... it's hard to deny. They've had quite the catalog of TV matches and no other team really jumps out. There's a lot of great tag wrestling in 2018 but very few great tag TEAMS if that makes sense.

Bucks are an easy pick but too easy. I'm doing the Karl Malone over MJ in 1998 MVP pick this year and just voting someone different because I'm bored of picking the Bucks every year. :lol:

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:49 pm

I forgot about Golden Lovers. Legit contenders for sure.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:48 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:49 pm
I forgot about Golden Lovers. Legit contenders for sure.
Biggest issue with them is they've not actually been involved in anything with stakes. It's either been pushing forward storylines or setting up Kenny's title matches. Matches are obviously great, but for an award like this, I want the team to actually be looking to do things full time as a team.

Ed.

Post by Ed. » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:28 pm

I'd favour the Undisputed Era lads more than Mustache Mountain for this for the stellar Takeover matches because even though there's less volume, there's more consistency. Bate and Seven have had some good stuff elsewhere like the Suzuki-Gun match right at the start of the year, but then there's BSS stuff in Fight Club Pro and Progress that doesn't do a lot for me. Kyle managed to transition from Bobby to Roddy pretty seamlessly.

I wouldn't sleep on Ringkampf either. Walter and Thatcher have been involved in a lot of really good matches across a multitude of promotions in Europe and the States. They're just missing a tip-top MOTYC from their 2018 which I think is the reason they are easy to overlook for this. They don't come to mind quickly.

Aussie Open sort of have the same issue too where I've seen countless good matches from them, but nothing springs to mind as must see.

This has been the most I've ever enjoyed Young Bucks in NJPW this year, so I wouldn't hate them winning, but I lost a lot of my positivity for the Elite around the summertime when another chapter of Bullet Club Vs Bullet Club started up.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:01 pm

thinking Fenix and Pentagon Jr should also be in this discussion even if UE is my #1

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:51 pm

Jeff Hawkins wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:01 pm
thinking Fenix and Pentagon Jr should also be in this discussion even if UE is my #1
Real good shout here, can't believe we all whiffed on this

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:49 am

While they haven't had enough work during the year to even crack the Top 5, I'm really hoping Nakanoue/Hama and their Big Japan tandem can sneak into the Honorable Mentions part for this--I have had next to no time this year to watch any BJW, but the concept of the team looks good on paper, at least. How have those two fared so far this year?

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:02 am

Not entirely sure of their output outside of PWG but The Rascalz (Dezmond Xavier and Zachary Wentz) have had a stellar year in PWG that I'd stack against other top tier teams. An EXCELLENT debut at Time is a Flat Circle against Flamita and Bandido, winning the Tag Titles in an awesome three way against the Bucks and the Chosen Bros, a really good match against Violence Unlimited the next night at All Star Weekend 14 N1 and 2, a great match with the Bucks at Threemendous V, and based on what I've read, an absolutely mental match with CIMA against Bandido, Flamita and Horus at BOLA N2 and an excellent match against Lucha Bros. on N3, and, again, from what I've seen, a great match against LAX at Smokey and the Bandido. They may not get the most votes but if they're working in OWE with CIMA, their Dragon Gate work and whatever they've done in other indies, and that's on the level of their PWG matches, then I think they deserve a fair look.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:38 pm

Jeff Hawkins wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:01 pm
Great call, Jeff. I just saw them work two tag matches this weekend alone and they both were far and away the best matches on their respective shows.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Hard no on Golden Lovers as a contender. Only 10 standard 2v2 tags on record, with about half of those being much more than pretty by the books house show level tags. And their "high end" stuff (vs Bucks, vs Chaos) is pretty overrated IMO.