Maybach Taniguchi (マイバッハ谷口

rollup

Maybach Taniguchi (マイバッハ谷口

Post by rollup » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:29 pm

:D :twisted: Haha , he should be up for consideration. He was always reliable as a placeholder title defense and he also has a catalogue of matches where he has more than held his end.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: Maybach Taniguchi (マイバッハ谷口

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:28 pm

This guy was a legitimate heavyweight prospect during a time when the company really needed one to work out. With the way Morishima's career panned out, Taniguchi essentially flopping as a potential heavyweight star was a real blow, and that void is still one that desperately needs to be filled.

With that said, he has pockets of work that I've enjoyed surrounded by large quantities of absolute shit. I suspect a close watch would improve his reputation with me, but he's not a guy I want to spend a ton of time on. He's just not very interesting.

dylanjstx

Post by dylanjstx » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:51 pm

Historically not very good but I do think he's been pretty great this year. Him and Marufuji are one of the best tag teams in the world right now. What that adds to his case however, not much.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:37 pm

Was this the best year of his career? Even the angle on 12/22 where he turns on Marufuji was awesome.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:This guy was a legitimate heavyweight prospect during a time when the company really needed one to work out. With the way Morishima's career panned out, Taniguchi essentially flopping as a potential heavyweight star was a real blow, and that void is still one that desperately needs to be filled.

With that said, he has pockets of work that I've enjoyed surrounded by large quantities of absolute shit. I suspect a close watch would improve his reputation with me, but he's not a guy I want to spend a ton of time on. He's just not very interesting.
Why the hell would you do a maybach "close watch"? So you can realize he's a 6/10 instead of the 4/10 we thought? I like to save my tape study for stuff I at least enjoy.

GOTNW

Post by GOTNW » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:19 pm

He had some really good stuff in a period from about 2009-2011 (I particularly enjoyed his series of matches vs Go Shiozaki) but gimmicking him and turning him into KENTA's muscle ruined his, ahem....workrate and also any chances of him ever getting a proper push beyond "perennial monster title challenger".