w/Tanahashi vs Morishima & Rikio 12/6/2003
w/Tanahashi vs Misawa & Ogawa 1/10/2004
w/Taguchi vs Akiyama & KENTA 7/24/2010
w/Sekimoto vs KENTA & Sugiura 11/27/2013
vs KENTA 12/7/2013
vs KENTA 2/22/2014
vs Sugiura 3/8/2014
vs Marufuji 7/5/2014

He may not have worked a plethora of matches in NOAH but his two invader runs produced a pretty good volume of high end work. When you put it on paper it's hard to imagine him not making a top 50.

armsofsleep

Re: Yuji Nagata

Post by armsofsleep » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:22 pm

Probably my favorite of the low volume guys. He always felt like a big deal in Noah, and he really outshines Tanahashi in their tag stuff. I'm not sure about his business impact, but the work is there to make my ballot.

JML

Post by JML » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:00 pm

I recently re-watched his early NOAH stuff cause Nagata's exit of the G1 made me nostalgic and man ... did he have underrated run in NOAH. Perfect example of him being treated better in NOAH was when he worked the tag with Akiyama vs Misawa & Kobashi in February 2002 I believe (which is a really good match btw) as the big New Japan star in Budokan Hall compared to him having to wrestle Rick Steiner and Tadao Yasuda the night before in that one night IWGP title tournament and loses to Yasuda at Sumo Hall. It only makes me wonder what would happen if he jumped ship in the mid 2000s. Definitely will make me list but most likely the bottom half.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:55 pm

JML wrote:I recently re-watched his early NOAH stuff cause Nagata's exit of the G1 made me nostalgic and man ... did he have underrated run in NOAH. Perfect example of him being treated better in NOAH was when he worked the tag with Akiyama vs Misawa & Kobashi in February 2002 I believe (which is a really good match btw) as the big New Japan star in Budokan Hall compared to him having to wrestle Rick Steiner and Tadao Yasuda the night before in that one night IWGP title tournament and loses to Yasuda at Sumo Hall. It only makes me wonder what would happen if he jumped ship in the mid 2000s. Definitely will make me list but most likely the bottom half.
To the bold, you have Satoshi Kojima as a really good comp to project something like that out.

JML

Post by JML » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:10 pm

I understand the Kojima comp but Kojima was a big anchor for All Japan while I think if Nagata jumped to NOAH, he would be basically be a buffer like he was in New Japan for guys like KENTA, Marufuji, Morishima, Shiozaki and maybe Rikioh. I think he would've have way more all time great matches but not be the anchor like Kojima was to All Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:34 pm

I've watched a lot of Nagata in NOAH lately. He's someone that I think everyone should have on their list. His early work is insanely strong. The tag with Akiyama vs. Misawa/Kobashi, the singles matches vs. Taue, Akiyama, and the awesome GHC title match with Kobashi, and then the tag match with Tanahashi vs. The Takeshi's

He pops up in 2010 and tags vs. Taguchi vs. KENTA & Akiyama - that match is ESSENTIAL VIEWING. Incredible stuff.

I'm not in love with his GHC title reign, but there is some good stuff. I like the KENTA match a lot, the Sugiura and Morishima matches not so much. That being said, he has some really fun stuff afterwards. I know a lot of the 2014 Global League footage is MIA, but I love his matches in Korakuen with both Hero and Masato Tanaka.

Not a top 10 guy. He doesn't have the quantity to squeeze in there. That being said, his NOAH peaks are ridiculous. Highly recommend diving in on Nagata in NOAH some time.