Minoru Suzuki

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Minoru Suzuki

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:31 pm

With the exception of 2008 & 2014, Minoru Suzuki wrestled at least one match in NOAH every year from 2004 - 2016

dylanjstx

Re: Minoru Suzuki

Post by dylanjstx » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:18 pm

Not that business was great already but he undoubtedly hurt it even more last year with Sugiura. I put more of the blame on him and his group because Sugiura was just a Suzuki-gun rep. I don't know how much that hurts his case but it's worth noting. He had two incredible matches with Takayama and Sugiura in 2015. He'll probably make the bottom of my list.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:20 pm

Worth noting his early matches in the takeover drew and drew pretty big, especially the first Maru match which did over 6k paid. Obviously they ran it too long. At the end, they were drawing SZG fans and not much else. Now those fans are gone, and they are at their lowest point ever. Nakajima had a far worse business run, although you could argue SZG made it impossible for the next guy to succeed.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:10 am

I thought he was way more effective/interesting during his 2004-2006 run. I loved the tag team with Marufuji, and am definitely the high man on the Kobashi title match. His match with the other KENTA as the honour of being the only time I've ever seen my Mum get into a wrestling match.

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:Worth noting his early matches in the takeover drew and drew pretty big, especially the first Maru match which did over 6k paid. Obviously they ran it too long. At the end, they were drawing SZG fans and not much else. Now those fans are gone, and they are at their lowest point ever. Nakajima had a far worse business run, although you could argue SZG made it impossible for the next guy to succeed.
And yet look at the March show from the year prior and what it drew and considering NOAH was on a steady rise since the KENTA-Maru reigns he doesn't get credit except for lowering the scale from that point forward and having a truly disastrous run. He was mostly bad but booking played more of a role in the long term negative consequences. Everything was handled wrong from an early point.

On the bright side I do agree with Alan that he was a lot better the decade prior when he was still actually good. His team with Marufuji was good and when his team with Takayama would roll into town from NJPW they were super great. I enjoyed his singles NOAH matches a lot from '04-'06. His match with Kobashi was strong and his match with Sano ruled for me, even going as far as to reference their 15 years old PWFG match. He even had a match with Sugiura in 2011 for the title that was pretty nifty. But on principle his title reign is such a huge black mark, along with a lack of positive longevity, I probably won't rank him above much more positive NOAH wrestlers.
Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:23 pm

DylanZero wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:Worth noting his early matches in the takeover drew and drew pretty big, especially the first Maru match which did over 6k paid. Obviously they ran it too long. At the end, they were drawing SZG fans and not much else. Now those fans are gone, and they are at their lowest point ever. Nakajima had a far worse business run, although you could argue SZG made it impossible for the next guy to succeed.
And yet look at the March show from the year prior and what it drew and considering NOAH was on a steady rise since the KENTA-Maru reigns he doesn't get credit except for lowering the scale from that point forward and having a truly disastrous run. He was mostly bad but booking played more of a role in the long term negative consequences. Everything was handled wrong from an early point.

On the bright side I do agree with Alan that he was a lot better the decade prior when he was still actually good. His team with Marufuji was good and when his team with Takayama would roll into town from NJPW they were super great. I enjoyed his singles NOAH matches a lot from '04-'06. His match with Kobashi was strong and his match with Sano ruled for me, even going as far as to reference their 15 years old PWFG match. He even had a match with Sugiura in 2011 for the title that was pretty nifty. But on principle his title reign is such a huge black mark, along with a lack of positive longevity, I probably won't rank him above much more positive NOAH wrestlers.
To be clear i'm not making a case his run (or perhaps more accurately, the SZG run) was anything other than a disaster. However, I do think there is an argument that could be made that the angle would have been fine as a short term thing (say, a six month arc, no pun intended), because fans were hot at the start and the initial bouts drew. The problem, is they ran the same story over...and over...and over...and over...and with each progressive major NOAH loss, more fan abandoned ship (AGAIN, no pun intended). And as the OTHER Dylan noted, Sugiura was really the guy later on, with Suzuki working mid card vs Kiyomiya and others. But like Dylan says, I don't hold any of that against Sugiura, as it was bad heat by bad association.

Anyway, I genuinely believe NOAH would have been OK, or at least not in the predicament they are in now, had the angle ended at Destinty. Maru losing a month later to Sugiura was the "ahh, fuck this shit AGAIN" moment that sent people running for good.