Open the Review Gate (Blog)

Wrestlers, promoters, bloggers and podcasters — feel free to plug your stuff here. Sharing is caring.
InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Open the Review Gate (Blog)

Post by InYourCase » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:52 am

What's up, gang?

Just in case you haven't seen my tweets about it, I thought I'd make a post here. Open the Review Gate has become my outlet for reviewing the good, bad, and ugly of the Dragon System and I'm starting by tackling every Kobe World from 2004-2014. When that is done in a week and a half, I'll be tackling random Dragon System matches that come my way, much like TJ Hawke does with his All the All Japan and Old New Japan blogs, which I love dearly. I encourage you guys to check out the Countdown to Kobe series. I think they've turned out well and they have gifs, so if reading isn't your thing, you can watch Jack Evans fall on his head on loop.

http://openthereviewgate.blogspot.com/

If you have any matches you'd like to see me review for the blog, feel free to link me here or on Twitter (@_InYourCase).

Thanks!

Chismo

Re: Open the Review Gate (Blog)

Post by Chismo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:20 am

How did you like Uhaa/Hulk? It's one of my favorite matches of the year and should be shown to everyone who thinks DG is nothing but flips and shit.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:18 pm

Great stuff man, I made it a regular destination for my internet browsing when I saw you tweet about the site a few days ago.

Uhaa-Hulk was so good, and didn't get nearly enough love because it was somewhat overshadowed by the uber-emotional graduation ceremony, but by itself I thought it was tremendous. Best DG match of the year so far for me.

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:07 pm

Chismo wrote:How did you like Uhaa/Hulk? It's one of my favorite matches of the year and should be shown to everyone who thinks DG is nothing but flips and shit.
I liked it a lot. I have it at ****1/4 and will probably go back and give it another look at the end of the year. It's the best Uhaa singles match I've seen. I thought he and YAMATO had a fun sprint in Korakuen last year, but this was Uhaa showing that he's more than just a big guy that can do a moonsault. He was excellent here. Hulk held his own. I was very skeptical of Hulk when he won the title last July, but he turned in a bunch of great performances during his run.

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:50 pm

This was not the way I wanted to find out Susumu was a failure as a main eventer, I thought he was a star just below Yoshino, how wrong I was. Guess he isn't getting a Dream Gate run that I really want.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:54 pm

Susumu is easily the most underrated DG guy ever, their version of Kojima.

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:34 am

Chismo wrote:Susumu is easily the most underrated DG guy ever, their version of Kojima.
That's actually a very good way of looking at it. I love Susumu - he's actually one of my favorite active wrestlers, but there's no Dream Gate reign in sight, sadly.

Countdown to Kobe is back with the 2009 edition and boy does this show suck. Read all about it by clicking the link.
http://openthereviewgate.blogspot.com/2 ... l?spref=tw

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:29 pm

InYourCase wrote:
Chismo wrote:Susumu is easily the most underrated DG guy ever, their version of Kojima.
but there's no Dream Gate reign in sight, sadly.

http://openthereviewgate.blogspot.com/2 ... l?spref=tw
Okay, this hurts even more, I really thought they'd give him one last run. He is easily my favourite guy. At least he's getting my number 2, Kagetora, over.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:12 am

http://openthereviewgate.blogspot.com/

The Countdown to Kobe series has concluded! If you need any reviews from Kobe World 2004-2014, this is your spot. The blog will be back soon and will be focusing on guys nominated for PWO's Greatest Wrestler Ever project. Thanks!

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:09 am

I was going to make a post in the blog concluding the Countdown to Kobe series and my final thoughts on the project, but I can't figure out how I want to format at. Rather than stress myself out over it I'm just going to make a quick post here summarizing the best matches, best and worst shows, and the MVP of Kobe.

10 Best Matches:
10) BxB Hulk vs. Shingo Takagi: 2008 (****1/2)
9) Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Koji Kanemoto: 2007 (****1/2)
8) Masaaki Mochizuki vs. BxB Hulk: 2011 (****1/2)
7) Masaaki Mochizuki vs. YAMATO: 2013 (****1/2)
6) Dragon Kid vs. Shuji Kondo: 2004 (****3/4)
5) Masato Yoshino vs. T-Hawk: 2015 (****3/4)
4) Akira Tozawa & Shingo Takagi vs. T-Hawk & Eita: 2014 (****3/4)
3) BxB Hulk vs. Shingo Takagi: 2010 (****3/4)
2) PAC & Dragon Kid vs. CIMA & Ricochet: 2011 (*****)
1) Blood Generation vs. Do FIXER: 2005 (*****)

Best Kobe World: 2011
Worst Kobe World: 2009

MVP: Shingo Takagi
-Yes, there's a lot of Mochizuki on that list, but not only does Shingo have two matches in the Top 10, as well, he made such a huge impression on me during this project. 2005 and 2006 were lackluster and 2009 was incredibly disappointing, even thought that wasn't his fault, but when Shingo was on, he was on another planet. The two Hulk matches are outstanding, he had an incredibly solid run from 2011-2014, but the one thing that really sticks out in my mind was how great he was in 2007. The match was Takagi, Hulk, & Kong vs. Yoshino, Doi, & Kishiwada. Shingo made a hot tag during this match that really sticks out. He was full of fire and passion and really helped that match reach a special level. If I were to extend my list of matches, that match would finish #11.

Overall - 2009 is a largely terrible show and 2006 isn't much better, but every other show is worth taking a look at if you're a Dragon Gate fan. Jae, who is now on the site (IHeartDG), can get you hooked up. Thanks to anyone who read the series - I will be back shortly to take a look at SpeedMuscle!