The Characters of NJPW

Wrestlers, promoters, bloggers and podcasters — feel free to plug your stuff here. Sharing is caring.
Guilherme Jaeger

The Characters of NJPW

Post by Guilherme Jaeger » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:25 pm

Hey guys!

I'm here to tell you about my series of writings I'm doing. I'm calling it The Characters of NJPW, and what this is is a guide to give newcomers to New Japan a feel as for how each of their wrestlers operate, what their motivations are, how their story drives them to be who they are, and how their actions inside and outside of the squared circle further their personas. Although this will contain historical data and a brief description of each wrestler’s past, it’s main goal is not meant to be a comprehensive guide to a performer’s history and achievements. Rather, we intend focus on two main topics: Character and in-ring work, to see how each wrestler on NJPW sets themselves apart from the rest of the roster, and what makes them truly unique and worth investing.

I would also like to thank anyone that read the installments, the responses have been really amazing. I will update this topic with each new installment. Ok, I'll stop talking now. Below is a link to a list with all of the articles available:

List of articles: Patreon page:
Last edited by Guilherme Jaeger on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Guilherme Jaeger

Re: The Characters of NJPW

Post by Guilherme Jaeger » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Hello again! Back with another installment.

Today I talk about the man of the hour, one of the best and hottest wrestlers alive, The Cleaner, Kenny Omega.

Here it is:
► Show Spoiler
As always, thank you so much for the read and suggestions, and I hope you find this useful. Tomorrow we complete NJPW's Big Four, with an article on Tetsuya Naito!

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:28 pm

These are really cool. I'll give you more detailed feedback later today when I catch up on all of them but just the basic skimming, you've really nailed it. Great work.

Guilherme Jaeger

Post by Guilherme Jaeger » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:55 pm

Thank you, Rich! Glad you like it. I'm actually looking forward to feedback, so that would be great too, if you can help. It means a lot because I really enjoy you guys' work.

Guilherme Jaeger

Post by Guilherme Jaeger » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:26 pm

I'm back again with another one!

On today's new installment, we talk about a man with one of the most interesting character arcs in wrestling history. El Ingobernable, Tetsuya Naito.

Here it is: Suggestions for the next installments are welcomed. I have a schedule in place running through Wrestle Kingdom 12, but I can change up if there's demand for a specific wrestler. I started doing these literally out of the blue, and had such a nice response from people in the community, so again, thanks to all that read it. We will come back next week with more. Hope you enjoy it.

Guilherme Jaeger

Post by Guilherme Jaeger » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:07 pm

Guess who's back! It's me. It's me who's back.

Thanks for all who appreciated the first four articles, it's really humbling and motivating.Today is a tough one, as I talk about my favorite wrestler: Katsuyori Shibata. Here it is: As always, thank you if you read any of my pieces. Tomorrow, we come back with the wonderful madman that is Kota Ibushi. See you then!

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:37 am

I've struggled to convince a friend of mine who is inches away from getting into this promotion that even though it's mostly in Japanese, you can get invested in characters who aren't Bullet Club or even characters who don't speak a lick of English like Taguchi or whoever. I linked her to these in hopes of explaining, since at least in my eyes they seem very newbiefriendly and understandable. Thanks for the effort.

Guilherme Jaeger

Post by Guilherme Jaeger » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:36 pm

Hello, people! I'm back with another installment of The Characters of NJPW, and today we have, as promised, brought one of the most unique personalities in the wrestling world today. I'm talking about the Golden Star, Kota Ibushi.

Here it is: If you want to read previous articles, all you have to do is to check out the original post.

As always, thank you for all of you who took your time to read or share with friends who want to become invested in New Japan, and also to those that gave me feedback and suggestions, I truly appreciate it. Tomorrow, it's time for the former Pancrase founder, Minoru Suzuki. See you then!

Guilherme Jaeger

Post by Guilherme Jaeger » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:41 pm

suplexberry wrote:I've struggled to convince a friend of mine who is inches away from getting into this promotion that even though it's mostly in Japanese, you can get invested in characters who aren't Bullet Club or even characters who don't speak a lick of English like Taguchi or whoever. I linked her to these in hopes of explaining, since at least in my eyes they seem very newbiefriendly and understandable. Thanks for the effort.
That's very nice, thanks! I hope these are able of explaining stuff to her and convincing her to join in. Especially now that promos are being translated, the barriers are going down day by day.

If she reads it and has any feedback to share, I would love to read it. The intent of this series is to be geared towards a new audience, truly. I even try to keep it (relatively) short, so as to not exhaust any potential readers. If I'm able to do that properly is another matter entirely.

By the way, Taguchi's profile will come down the line and I'm actually dying to write it.

Guilherme Jaeger

Post by Guilherme Jaeger » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:32 pm

Hey there! I'm back with another installment of The Characters of NJPW, and today we talk about one of the most sadistic, despicable and feared men in all of wrestling. The leader of Suzuki-gun himself, former King of Pancrase and self-proclaimed King of Pro Wrestling, Minoru Suzuki.

Here it is: If you want to read previous articles, all you have to do is check the original post.

As always, thank you for all of you who took your time to read or share with friends who want to become invested in New Japan, and also to those that gave me feedback and suggestions, I truly appreciate it. Tomorrow, we keep the Suzuki-gun theme going, with their British crown jewel, Zack Sabre Jr. See you then!

Guilherme Jaeger

Post by Guilherme Jaeger » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:05 pm

Hurrah! I'm back with another installment of The Characters of NJPW, and this time we keep the Suzuki-gun theme going when we focus on the World-renowned Technical Wizard, Zack Sabre Jr.

Here it is: If you want to read previous articles, check the OP above.

Thank you all so much for reading, sharing and giving suggestions to this series. Tomorrow, we end the week with the Stone Pitbull himself, Tomohiro Ishii. Till then!

Guilherme Jaeger

Post by Guilherme Jaeger » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:07 pm

Hello there. Welcome to another installment of The Characters of NJPW! Today, we finish our second week with a bang! One of the most beloved characters of New Japan, the Stone Pitbull himself, Tomohiro Ishii!

BITE U 141 HERE: If you want to read previous articles, all you have to do is check the OP above.
Thank you all so much for reading, sharing and giving suggestions to this series. See you next week!

Guilherme Jaeger

Post by Guilherme Jaeger » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:11 pm

Hey again! The Characters of NJPW is back with a Jr. Heavyweight flavor to it, as we will focus on all four participants of WK12's IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship 4-Way match. We start today with the Aerial Assassin, former champion, Young Will Ospreay.

Here it is: If you want to read previous articles, all you have to do is check in the list linked below, which will be updated each time a new one comes out:
Thank you all so much for reading, sharing and giving suggestions to this series. Tomorrow, we give the series a quick pause, as I have something special coming: a 10,000 word, flowchart-assisted essay on the success of Jinder Mahal's WWE title reign.

Just kidding, it's Marty Scurll tomorrow. See you then!

Guilherme Jaeger

Post by Guilherme Jaeger » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:43 pm

And we're back! In today's installment of The Characters of NJPW, we talk about The One True Villain, Bullet Club member and current IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion, Marty Scurll. I hope you enjoy it.

Here it is: If you want to read previous articles, all you have to do is check in the list in the OP.

Thank you all so much for reading, sharing and giving suggestions to this series. Tomorrow, we continue with this week's focus on the 4-Way match for the Jr. Title at the Dome, when we talk about the Time Splitter, KUSHIDA. See you then!

Guilherme Jaeger

Post by Guilherme Jaeger » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:17 pm

Hello, fellow mammals! In today's part of The Characters of NJPW series, we focus on The Time Splitter, Ace of the Junior Heavyweights, KUSHIDA. I hope you enjoy your read!

Here it is: If you want to read previous articles, please check the OP.

Thank you all so much for reading, sharing and giving suggestions to this series. Tomorrow, we finish up the 4-Way at the Dome, when we talk about the insanity of Hiromu Takahashi. See ya!