ThROH The Years: A ROH retrospective podcast (Episode 40 Up!)

Wrestlers, promoters, bloggers and podcasters — feel free to plug your stuff here. Sharing is caring.
Hobbes

Re: ThROH The Years: A ROH retrospective podcast (Episode 5 Up!)

Post by Hobbes » Tue May 30, 2017 11:30 pm

Me and Matt have a lot of DVDs from the early years. I sold most of mine awhile ago, but not before I made back ups of some and found digital files of the others online. That's the one tough part for people that want to follow along, you can either go the pirate route and find torrents, the grey market route of DVD dealers, or hit up eBay. I wish it was easier, that ROH had a more complete online archive.

Hobbes

Re: ThROH The Years: A ROH retrospective podcast (Episode 5 Up!)

Post by Hobbes » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:22 am

Less than two weeks apart and ThROH The Years is already back with episode six. WE'RE HALFWAY THROUGH 2002!

ThROH The Years is back for episode six! Matt and Trevor invade your ears as ROH Invades Boston! ROH’s first ever battle of the Briscoes! Low Ki beats the holy hell out of AJ Styles! We search for the inventor of the Canadian Destroyer! We bid the fondest of farewells to Donnie B and reveal who really didn’t like him!. Fourteen matches and we ain’t even sweating, hop on board this dry train!​

http://placetobenation.com/throh-the-ye ... es-boston/

Hobbes

Re: ThROH The Years: A ROH retrospective podcast (Episode 6 Up!)

Post by Hobbes » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:33 pm

Matt and Trevor are back to review ROH’s seventh show, Unscripted! A surprising title change provokes disagreement! Paul London makes himself a star! Dick Togo breaks a banana! Gary Michael Cappetta wandered in! Gabe realizes that a banner will not burn! All this and much more on the seventh episode of ThROH The Years!​

http://placetobenation.com/throh-the-ye ... nscripted/

Alan4L

Re: ThROH The Years: A ROH retrospective podcast (Episode 7 Up!)

Post by Alan4L » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:24 am

Listening to the Crowing A Champion show. I cannot believe you ragging on Low Ki's catchphrases Hobbes! HOW DARE YOU!!!

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:34 pm

Haha! I think it's so corny to see one of the most hyper serious guys in modern wrestling try to get these catchphrases over show after show! That said, I think he's the clear MVP of the company for the first six months. It's not the number of catchphrases, but the...uh...phrases of numbers he catches?

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:28 am

Hobbes wrote: It's not the number of catchphrases, but the...uh...phrases of numbers he catches?
Dear God!!!

and you dare mock him?

For shame Hobbes

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:52 am

ThROH The Years is back and fully hydrated for episode eight! Matt and Trevor review ROH’s first ever Glory By Honor! Tons of promotion war intrigue! Spanky’s farewell! Samoa Joe makes his ROH debut in one of the stiffest matches in company history! Do you like meaningless gimmick matches where the winners don’t even want the gimmicks they just won? This show has three of them! Do you want water talk on your historical ROH podcast? Then quit reading and start listening!​

http://placetobenation.com/throh-the-ye ... -by-honor/

Hobbes

Re: ThROH The Years: A ROH retrospective podcast (Episode 8 Up!)

Post by Hobbes » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:54 pm

ThROH The Years is back with double the hashtags and quadruple the fun! Matt and Trevor review ROH’s first ever All Star Extravaganza! London vs. Danielson! Styles vs. Danielson! Ohtani! Yeah, it’s a really good card. Trevor gets mad, Matt gets baking, Simply Luscious is discussed way too much, what more could you want? (Note: Apologies for some minor audio problems in the first few minutes, hold on, they get corrected!)

http://placetobenation.com/throh-the-ye ... ravaganza/

Hobbes

Re: ThROH The Years: A ROH retrospective podcast (Episode 9 Up!)

Post by Hobbes » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:16 pm

Matt and Trevor are here with the tenth episode of ThROH The Years! This time we review Scramble Madness, a hidden gem of early ROH. One of the best Scramble matches of all time. The mysterious marvel of Matt Thompson. Was Gabe Sapolsky a time traveler? Oh, and AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels and Bryan Danielson vs. Doug Williams. All of our Deep Vein ThROHmbozos (#dvthrohmbozos) need to get in the machine and listen to this one.​

http://placetobenation.com/throh-the-ye ... e-madness/

Hobbes

Re: ThROH The Years: A ROH retrospective podcast (Episode 10 Up!)

Post by Hobbes » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:41 am

http://placetobenation.com/throh-the-ye ... e-butcher/

After a brief delay Matt and Trevor are back with episode eleven of ThROH The Years! We missed you! This time we review Night of the Butcher, featuring a whole forking lot of Abdullah the Butcher. Paul London and Bryan Danielson have a great match with a fantastic finish! We explore Gabe Sapolsky’s defensiveness! A disagreement about a title match! We solve one ROH mystery and start a new one: did people really call CM Punk “Pepsi”? All this and much more in a beefy episode.

Hobbes

Re: ThROH The Years: A ROH retrospective podcast (Episode 11 Up!)

Post by Hobbes » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:00 am

http://placetobenation.com/throh-the-ye ... ttle-2002/

Your fifteen-year-long wait is over! Matt and Trevor are here to not only review Final Battle 2002, but to give their first ever Honor awards for the year in ROH. Finally you can know what to think! We review a show that is surprisingly good in some ways, but surprisingly disappointing in others. We also take a look back at the Observer awards from 2002 and see how ROH fared. Fix your teeth Leroy, we’re ending the year on a high note!

elloziom

Re: ThROH The Years: A ROH retrospective podcast (Episode 12 Up!)

Post by elloziom » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:48 pm

So I listened to your newest show and I've got a few things to point out:
1) Not every listener of your shows has a podcast or is involved in indy wrestling and I am an example of it.

2) The reason why Indy shows felt cooler in 2000s than 2010s is probably the same reason either You or Matt pointed out a few shows earlier and it's the fact that at that time indy wrestling was more on a rise as a whole and it was just a cool experience to be part of it. It's the same reason why a lot of British indy shows feel cooler than American indies, even though a lot of american indies sometimes have better matches. Also in my opinion there is also a factor of being "Hot New thing" that goes away after a while, because you're no longer new and a lot of your storylines, matches or talent might not feel as fresh or exciting, because after seeing them for a few years, you become very familiar with the talent or/and the way the booker presents his/her product like ECW, FMW or ROH. There is also a factor of new ideas that are supposed to make product stay fresh not connecting with the crowd for example Lucha Underground. Promotions like Progress or ICW are also probably going to suffer from it in a year to three unless they'll grow to the point they on the level of NJPW or CMLL, which is very hard to believe.

3) I'm probably the low man on Bryan Danielson, but if I'm honest I probably wouldn't put him in my top 3 for 2002 (which would be 1.Low Ki 2.Daniels 3.AJ Styles) in ROH for WOTY. I'll start with saying that I judged it on Lou Thesz WOTY criteria instead of Most Outstanding Wrestler (for Most Oustanding I would probably put him at 3 after Low Ki and Styles). If I'm honest I was actually disappointed with the way his Doug Williams matches went and probably expected a bit more, while I liked Low Ki vs AJ matches more than you do. I still think that he comes off a little bit too dry compared to Low Ki, Daniels, AJ and later Joe, Homicide, Punk and Corino. It's almost like he is Tomohiro Ishii of 2002 ROH for the lack of better comparison. I would consider Low Ki the MVP of ROH for 2002, because as you've mentioned, if anybody bought those DVDs in 2002 it was probably for him. He would bring the mix of intensity and athleticism like nobody else in US at that time and maybe even ever (the closest comparison that comes to my mind is Kota Ibushi with the intensity of Shibata in the body of Rey Mysterio). AJ Styles I think is very underrated for his run in ROH at that time and in 2003 he's not slowing down a bit (I'm a few shows ahead of you). This guy literally has been awesome for 15 years and when people brought Bryan's indy career for his HOF case, I think that people really need to see some of AJ's non-TNA stuff from 2002-2007. He's absolutely unreal. If there is one thing that I wasn't satisfied with him at that time it's his matches with Daniels, but it's probably due to very high expectations that come from their future encounters. Christopher Daniels is a guy that really grew on me. Since I'm watching a lot of this stuff for the first time I'm absolutely amazed with his character work and promos and the way he can come across as one of the bigger stars in the company (even when guys like Joe or Homicide start to step up their game). At least he got his ROH world title run in 2017, when their business is probably at their best and did some upper midcard stuff in TNA during their Spike era, which unfortunately guys like London or Homicide(I know he had LAX run, but I don't think that the focus was as much on him at any point as it was on Daniels) were never able to do.

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:21 am

Heeeey!

1) Obviously I was exaggerating. I actually get just as big a kick out of people without podcasts or connections listening. It's really cool to see people you've listened to say they listen to the show you make, but it's almost crazier for people who have no connection at all to listen. I love aaaaaall my kids (DeepVeinThrombozos, sorry Matt) the same.

2) I think that's a good point. There's something exciting about being part of something new, something that you feel is catching on, that is growing in popularity, and ROH in it's early years was that for me and a lot of people who followed it. The indie boom of the last couple years feels like the second wave of that, and I'm sure that like everything else, it'll cool off and have it's ebbs and flows. I'd like to hope that social media and independent streaming platforms mean that indies can have some kind of consistent baseline audience, but who knows?

3) Matt and I are obviously huge Danielson fans. I think he was in too many really good matches in 2002 to deny him a list spot, but if there is one thing he's missing it is that he doesn't feel like he's "in the mix" in ROH as much as some other guys. Until he gets his world title run, it always feels like Danielson has a little distance in the promotion. He's in and out, and when he's in, he's always put in matches with top talent, but he rarely feels like he's in the middle of things. I think even Gave has said something about how Danielson's ROH title run was different because that's when he made a real commitment to ROH for that time period and in return ROH made that commitment back.

I'll be interested in seeing how revisiting AJ's 2003 ROH work adds to his case. I think 2003 is the year of ROH that gets overlooked sometimes, it's not the prime years of 04-07 and it's doesn't have the historical novelty of being the very first year like 02, but a lot of good AJ stuff is in that year, like you said.

Christopher Daniels is someone who has always left me a little cold and I can't quite explain why. I've heard some people say he's almost too smooth, and I don't know if that's it or not. What I do know is re-watching all of 2002, I definitely gained a new appreciation for him as well. I still can't say I get excited to see him wrestle, even though the matches are often good, but I forgot how important Daniels was to early ROH. He carried so much of the burden of promos, and as I kind of talked about on the new episode, I think he was the glue that held the Era of Honor Begins three way and the Crowning a Champion four way together. Also wrestlers from that period generally speak very highly on him as a person and performer, someone who helped them out. Doing this podcast has made me really happy that Daniels got that short "gold watch" title run this year, because honestly, if anyone in ROH deserved one, it's him.

BITW3589

Post by BITW3589 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:51 am

I just finished listening to all 12 of the shows and I have officially become a Deep Vein Thrombozo. You two have created a really great podcast and look forward to listening to all future shows. There are many things in the future years of ROH that I look forward to hearing both of your opinions on. Keep up the good work.