List 'em & Learn #16: Top 10 Survivor Series Elimination matches!

Wrestlers, promoters, bloggers and podcasters — feel free to plug your stuff here. Sharing is caring.
Joe Gagne
VOW Staff Member

List 'em & Learn #16: Top 10 Survivor Series Elimination matches!

Post by Joe Gagne » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:43 pm

In the post-apocalyptic rubble of November 2016, List Em and Learn stumbles out from a heap of toxic waste. Thanks to Joe Gagne for reviving this ailing and depressed show, and its equally depressed host. And if anything can cheer up Matt and America, it’s WWE’s most exciting and popular gimmick match: the Survivor Series elimination match! Matt and Joe run down the top 10 Survivor Series elimination matches. How can they pick? They’re all so good! Seriously though, some of them are actually good. Really! And the show is also good, thanks to the always cheerful Joe pulling Matt through his blues with the help of some wrestling matches that feature a variety of bone-rattling slams and pinning combinations!

http://www.thecubsfan.com/2016/11/16/li ... ly-scared/

direct download: http://media.blubrry.com/joeversusthewo ... esElim.mp3

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Re: List 'em & Learn #16: Top 10 Survivor Series Elimination matches!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:55 pm

Listened this morning and I'd pretty much agree whole-heartedly with your 10, Joe. I'd probably do a similar order to yours as well. There's just not a lot of output for a super extensive list but there are quite a few (notably Team Bisch vs. Team Austin and the 2001 Alliance vs. WWF) that rise FAR above the norm.

For all my "hating" of the SS elimination matches, I do love watching them. The cast of characters, the entrances, the bizarre ways to protect guys using odd cop-outs. They don't make for fundamentally good in-ring matches but I do enjoy watching them and am usually entertained when all is said and done.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: List 'em & Learn #16: Top 10 Survivor Series Elimination matches!

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:37 pm

Not a shock that Rich favors some of the more recent bouts.

Another thing to consider with the early SS matches and the lame eliminations, is the "lazy" generation of workers involved. Remember, this was mostly guys who treated the business like a business, and worked accordingly. They likely saw these huge multi man tags as a night off from the house show grind, and if they could take a roll up after 90 seconds of in ring "work" and go home, then that's what they were going to do. As the years passed, they were replaced by guy who grew up as fans and in general work a ton harder and take pride in performance.