Underrated/Unheralded Matches

Join members of the Voices of Wrestling community as we attempt to name Pro Wrestling NOAH's 50 Greatest Wrestlers ever.
Post Reply
User avatar
K. Hare
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:25 am
Location: Collegeville, PA

Underrated/Unheralded Matches

Post by K. Hare » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:25 am

What are some of your favorite matches that maybe go under the radar? Either something that is really great and no one talks about, or something that showcases someone that you think deserves it. Whatever you have, post it here.

User avatar
gbogard
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:22 pm
Location: Anaheim, CA.

Re: Underrated/Unheralded Matches

Post by gbogard » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:05 pm

I don't have any links to share for these first two matches but ones that come to mind are KENTA vs. Sugiura for the GHC Title at Korakuen Hall the day after Kobashi's retirement. I remember it being talked about as a great match at the time but I thought it would have fit in nicely with any Budokan Hall main event from the AJPW or Noah glory period when it comes to quality and heat, just that it took place in Korakeun.

I also really love the Sugiura vs. Takayama GHC title match from 7/10/10. I'll always think of this as Takayama's last great singles match. He got busted open during the match which really added to the drama and intensity. I loved the smaller Sugiura throwing Takayama around with suplexes.

I also love this tag match from right after Misawa died with Sasaki/Nakajima vs. Shiozaki/KENTA.


User avatar
K. Hare
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:25 am
Location: Collegeville, PA

Re: Underrated/Unheralded Matches

Post by K. Hare » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:55 am

That tag match got me into NOAH/puro

User avatar
Alan4L
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:15 pm

Re: Underrated/Unheralded Matches

Post by Alan4L » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:48 am

cross post from Chad's thread:

If I can make a recommendation, I think you'll really enjoy this. Maybe the most un-NOAH match that's a really great match (ok aside from KENTA vs SUWA which I forgot about as I typed).

Taue, Mushiking Terry, Ishimori & Aoki vs SUWA, TARU, Kondo & Yasshi, 12/10/06.
Ditch has it here: http://theditch.com/SUWA-VMvsTeamTaue12-10-06.avi

SUWA and Taue had basically been beefing so they book a Budokan match where SUWA calls in the only other heels in Japan as detestable as him, and Taue assembles a hodge podge team of what appears to be the first lads he saw standing around the locker room! But boy oh boy do the three youngsters bring the fight for their leader. I love this match.

User avatar
JML
Posts: 931
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:37 am
Contact:

Re: Underrated/Unheralded Matches

Post by JML » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Alan4L wrote:cross post from Chad's thread:

If I can make a recommendation, I think you'll really enjoy this. Maybe the most un-NOAH match that's a really great match (ok aside from KENTA vs SUWA which I forgot about as I typed).

Taue, Mushiking Terry, Ishimori & Aoki vs SUWA, TARU, Kondo & Yasshi, 12/10/06.
Ditch has it here: http://theditch.com/SUWA-VMvsTeamTaue12-10-06.avi

SUWA and Taue had basically been beefing so they book a Budokan match where SUWA calls in the only other heels in Japan as detestable as him, and Taue assembles a hodge podge team of what appears to be the first lads he saw standing around the locker room! But boy oh boy do the three youngsters bring the fight for their leader. I love this match.
I definitely remember this match and this is going to be number one for me to rewatch.

Tanner1495
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:30 pm

Re: Underrated/Unheralded Matches

Post by Tanner1495 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:21 pm

Akiyama, Morishima & Kikuchi vs Kobashi, Rikio & Hashi from 1/10/04. At this point they had already started promoting Akiyama/Kobashi in the Dome for the title, but something about this match just made everyone go 110%. A few month's prior you get the most "stacked" NOAH 6 man ever with Kobashi/Akiyama/Rikio vs Misawa/Taue/Morishima and I know it sounds ridiculous but this match blows that match out of the water (you should watch both though).

User avatar
phenom951
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:59 pm
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Underrated/Unheralded Matches

Post by phenom951 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:46 pm

Morrison vs Mysterio from a SD in 2009 where Morrison won the IC title stands out to me right away.
Feel it's an all time great IC title match from a bell to bell standpoint.
It was this and a title match on TV with Jeff Hardy for the WHC that really stand out this year.
Last edited by phenom951 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JML
Posts: 931
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:37 am
Contact:

Re: Underrated/Unheralded Matches

Post by JML » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:01 am

phenom951 wrote:Morrison vs Mysterio from a SD in 2009 where Morrison won the IC title stands out to me right away.
Feel it's an all time great IC title match from a bell to bell standpoint.
It was this and a title match on TV with Jeff Hardy for the WHC that really stand out this year.
Wrong thread my dude. This is for the NOAH project.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
phenom951
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:59 pm
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Underrated/Unheralded Matches

Post by phenom951 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:06 pm

JML wrote:
phenom951 wrote:Morrison vs Mysterio from a SD in 2009 where Morrison won the IC title stands out to me right away.
Feel it's an all time great IC title match from a bell to bell standpoint.
It was this and a title match on TV with Jeff Hardy for the WHC that really stand out this year.
Wrong thread my dude. This is for the NOAH project.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My bad bro, I just seen the underrated shit in the e-mail and went to quick reply. Botchamania

Post Reply