Chad's Emerald Rewatch

Join members of the Voices of Wrestling community as we attempt to name Pro Wrestling NOAH's 50 Greatest Wrestlers ever.
soup23

Chad's Emerald Rewatch

Post by soup23 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:34 pm

I am jazzed for this project and want to rewatch a good bit of stuff for it. I don't want to get overzealous but think around a match a day is doable for the confines of the project. That being said, please use this thread to recommend me some stuff to seek out and I will be posting my reviews and current stock updates on the workers here as well.

soup23

Re: Chad's Emerald Rewatch

Post by soup23 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:41 am

Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli vs Go Shiozaki & Shuhei Taniguchi - 4/29/11

This left a great impression on the KOW. They dominated large portions of this match and while they didn't really focus on any one body part, they were clubbing and suffocating in a way that was really engaging to the viewer. Go has really strong chops but everything else he did here looked a little off and light compared to his counterparts. This was especially controlled with his windmill chop arsenal that resulted in some near falls down the stretch that didn't feel well earned. I thought overall Hero was actually the best worker with some brutal strikes and aerial moves from the jump up moonsault to the dive to the floor. This match never reached the next gear to make it great but it was certainly good and the finish of Claudio desperately trying to save Hero is really memorable. ***1/4

soup23

Post by soup23 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:07 pm

Eddie Edwards vs Katsuhiko Nakajima - 8/26/17

This was a very good match which overachieved in my eyes going in. I really liked the back work utilized by Eddie and I thought Nakajima responding with the neck was smart in not having a limb that could have led into no selling later on. The German on the apron was sick and the back and forth strikes were really crisp. I thought the match progressively got Eddie over as a threat throughout to where the Emerald Flowsion finish was surprising on one hand that the gaijin won the GHC but not surprising in how the match was laid out. ***3/4

soup23

Post by soup23 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:38 am

7/10/11 - Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Jun AKiyama

This was a really strong match that was fourth from the top on the big NOAH card of 2011. Nakajima starts early attacking Akiyama before the bell and before he can get his robe off. Nakajima is ferocious in his attack and Akiyama is reeling. I thought the way Akiyama transitioned that into taking control and then dishing out punishment on Nakajima was really well done. This match didn't really have a lot of ebbs and flows but that was appreciative and both men added to the match overall. We saw a great glimpse of grumpy Jun here. ***3/4

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:49 pm

soup23 wrote:7/10/11 - Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Jun AKiyama

This was a really strong match that was fourth from the top on the big NOAH card of 2011. Nakajima starts early attacking Akiyama before the bell and before he can get his robe off. Nakajima is ferocious in his attack and Akiyama is reeling. I thought the way Akiyama transitioned that into taking control and then dishing out punishment on Nakajima was really well done. This match didn't really have a lot of ebbs and flows but that was appreciative and both men added to the match overall. We saw a great glimpse of grumpy Jun here. ***3/4
Chad, what do you think of Nakajima facing bigger guys? To me he's one of those juniors that always comes off credible, yet he never let's you forget that he's smaller. That's not easy.

soup23

Post by soup23 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:09 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
soup23 wrote:7/10/11 - Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Jun AKiyama

Chad, what do you think of Nakajima facing bigger guys? To me he's one of those juniors that always comes off credible, yet he never let's you forget that he's smaller. That's not easy.

That is something I haven't given much thought to but I am inclined to agree with you. My NOAH fandom really dropped off with the death of Misawa and that kind of coincided with Nakajima transitioning from boy to man. I need to give the KENTA series another watch as I think those matches in real time really came at an intersection of limb selling degrees among the DVDVR communities and the like and I do think most people are more lenient of limb selling in general these days so they could be raised in my mind on rewatch. I am interested in tracking Nakajima's development and getting more upper mid card and main event chances in NOAH this decade. I liked him a good bit in the G1 last year and think he played into that small but still ass kicker role you referenced above. I was less impressed with his title run minus the match vs Edwards so the jury is still out on where I will rank him overall.

soup23

Post by soup23 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:23 am

8/5/00 - Naomichi Marufuji & Kentaro Shiga vs Masao Inoue & Yoshinobu Kanemaru

NOAH wasn’t shy about giving these guys a ton of time right out of the gate. While that is admirable in the sink or swim mentality, this match certainly could have used some editing. Marufuji was fine and played the FIP role for the majority of the match. He got his nose busted open on a Kanemaru dropkick which helped emphasize the story. Shiga has filled out a bit and remains to be just “there” as a character overall. I didn’t think he had a good hot tag but he was in the right position to break up tags. Kanemaru was a good sleazy heel with his look and arsenal but he was still green in being unable to come up with many useful things to do on offense when he was working over Marufuji. His attack was focused and this was where editing would had come in handy. Inoue was pretty useless. Overall, a good match to post mark where all four of these workers were at this point in time but a pretty mundane match overall that wasn’t worth the 20 minute run time. **1/4

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:01 pm

Chad, I watched that Akiyama vs Nakajima match myself the other day and I was a big fan too. Jun was fantastic in it.

If I can make a recommendation, I think you'll really enjoy this. Maybe the most un-NOAH match that's a really great match (ok aside from KENTA vs SUWA which I forgot about as I typed).

Taue, Mushiking Terry, Ishimori & Aoki vs SUWA, TARU, Kondo & Yasshi, 12/10/06.
Ditch has it here: http://theditch.com/SUWA-VMvsTeamTaue12-10-06.avi

SUWA and Taue had basically been beefing so they book a Budokan match where SUWA calls in the only other heels in Japan as detestable as him, and Taue assembles a hodge podge team of what appears to be the first lads he saw standing around the locker room! But boy oh boy do the three youngsters bring the fight for their leader. I love this match.

soup23

Post by soup23 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:53 pm

Taue, Mushiking Terry, Ishimori & Aoki vs SUWA, TARU, Kondo & Yasshi, 12/10/06.

Taue running down at the entrance was amazing and got a great reaction from Budokan. Yasshi talking shit on the mic and the fight is on. Taue stares down SUWA and gives him the finger for another great reaction. This is peak Taue here just daring the opponents to cross him. Cheapshots are thrown Taue’s way as Ishimori gets worked over. He escapes and tags in Terry and then the real beating commences. Taue has had enough and he comes firing in on all of the Voodoo Murders before the numbers game catches up to him and SUWA headbutts him right in the balls. Back to Terry they go. Terry works hard to escape TARU and the hot tag is made to Taue. Taue just standing there while all his young boys do big dives to TARU is fantastic and the crowd laughs uproariously when he just pins TARU after all of that. The VM are pissed off now and plan another big gang style attack on Taue with some cool unit moves of their own culminating in a SUWA elbow drop. Terry and Ishimori are fighting back and they clear the ring with stereo dives leaving SUWA and Taue to duke it out. Taue does the John Woo dropkick. LOL. Elevated Nodowa is broken up by yasshi. Some more crazy action and Taue gives SUWA another Nodowa and a Dynamic Bomb for a close two count. That was cool they gave SUWA the kickout from all of that. One more Nodowa gets the duke for Taue. This was a blast. It was one part Toryumon multi-man, one part current Don Fujii with youngsters, and one part WAR vs NJPW feud with the hate mixed in between the highspots and comedy elements. It is refreshing to see a match like this in the NOAH ring because I think like ROH, NOAH is projected in general as a real serious promotion overall. This was fun, fun, fun. ****

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:25 am

soup23 wrote:Inoue was pretty useless.
You don't say

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:25 am

soup23 wrote:Taue, Mushiking Terry, Ishimori & Aoki vs SUWA, TARU, Kondo & Yasshi, 12/10/06.

Taue running down at the entrance was amazing and got a great reaction from Budokan. Yasshi talking shit on the mic and the fight is on. Taue stares down SUWA and gives him the finger for another great reaction. This is peak Taue here just daring the opponents to cross him. Cheapshots are thrown Taue’s way as Ishimori gets worked over. He escapes and tags in Terry and then the real beating commences. Taue has had enough and he comes firing in on all of the Voodoo Murders before the numbers game catches up to him and SUWA headbutts him right in the balls. Back to Terry they go. Terry works hard to escape TARU and the hot tag is made to Taue. Taue just standing there while all his young boys do big dives to TARU is fantastic and the crowd laughs uproariously when he just pins TARU after all of that. The VM are pissed off now and plan another big gang style attack on Taue with some cool unit moves of their own culminating in a SUWA elbow drop. Terry and Ishimori are fighting back and they clear the ring with stereo dives leaving SUWA and Taue to duke it out. Taue does the John Woo dropkick. LOL. Elevated Nodowa is broken up by yasshi. Some more crazy action and Taue gives SUWA another Nodowa and a Dynamic Bomb for a close two count. That was cool they gave SUWA the kickout from all of that. One more Nodowa gets the duke for Taue. This was a blast. It was one part Toryumon multi-man, one part current Don Fujii with youngsters, and one part WAR vs NJPW feud with the hate mixed in between the highspots and comedy elements. It is refreshing to see a match like this in the NOAH ring because I think like ROH, NOAH is projected in general as a real serious promotion overall. This was fun, fun, fun. ****
This sounds INCREDIBLE

soup23

Post by soup23 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:57 am

If someone could send me some ZSJ recs in NOAH, that would be appreciated.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:29 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
soup23 wrote:Taue, Mushiking Terry, Ishimori & Aoki vs SUWA, TARU, Kondo & Yasshi, 12/10/06.

This sounds INCREDIBLE
It's one of my personal favourite matches ever Joe. Gets better every time I watch it.

soup23

Post by soup23 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:41 pm

Daisuke Ikeda, Masahito Kakihara & Yoshinari Ogawa vs Yoshihiro Takayama, Takao Omori & Satoru Asako (NOAH Departure 08/05/00)

No Fear has changed their look dramatically from All Japan sporting all white gear and blonde highlights. This was a good slugfest style match with Ogawa, Asako and Ikeda all having extended periods of being worked over. Kakihara is such a spunky worker that I appreciate in tags for the way he is able to come in with quick flurries. The Kakihara vs Takayama UWFi memorial slugfest was built up as the big showdown for the match and given a good reaction from the crowd. I would be remiss if I didn’t mention in the intros, Omori was introduced last from his team so coming into NOAH, he is higher on the current pecking order. That will change rapidly. Even in the closing moments of this match, Takayama is given the signature spots and battles with Ikeda and Kakihara. Asako was seen as the weakling overall as he gives a flurry of punches to Kakihara that are shrugged off before Kaki gets the submission win with a cross armbreaker. Good match. ***

soup23

Post by soup23 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:12 pm

Mitsuharu Misawa & Akira Taue vs Burning (Kenta Kobashi & Jun Akiyama) - NOAH Debut Show 8/5/00 2 Out Of 3 Falls

I am appreciative of the difference NOAH exemplified right out of the gate. The ramp is there, Akiyama has an all white look, the lasers are out in full force and they even get some pyro coming from the ring posts in their introductions. This match being 2/3 falls also felt like a departure that was sort of a weird callback to the 2/3 fall structure of All Japan from yesteryear. Akiyama and Misawa start but it only takes a minute for Kobashi to insert himself with a stiff lariat to Taue that makes a crackling sound and a suplex to Misawa. Akiyama locks on a choke and that is the first fall right then and there in shocking fashion. Akiyama got pinned in 9 seconds by Omori and Taue lost to Akiyama in four minutes in 1997 but we had never seen Misawa dominated like that where he gives up a fall in two minutes. The crowd seems shocked. Kobashi has some purple creeping into his orange tights that is a nice bit of foreshadowing. Misawa needs to grind the match down and his trusty elbow gives him some space that is followed up with his butterfly arm submission. He gives way to Taue to continue working over Jun. I am usually weary of heaping META praise onto a singular match given that it is impossible to know the true purpose but it did feel like watching this second fall that some of Misawa/Taue’s offense was purposely less flashy to put more emphasis on Akiyama. This was a match with the purpose of getting Jun over instead of just being the next great entry involving these four men as a holdover from the 90’s. That is progressive foresight from Misawa as he knew the status quo needed to change here. He is the booker and new face of the promotion and in this match, the third most important figure. The second fall does heat up once Taue gets the Nodowa on the ramp to Jun followed by just slinging him back into the ring like a grumpy dad that was roughhousing with his kid but now has said that enough is enough. Jun doesn’t get worked over much before he makes the tag to Kobashi and we enter the home stretch again showing a difference that this match overall will be tighter and more condensed even in the 2/3 stipulation than a typical AJ big tag match. Kobashi/Misawa have a more heated sequence with each other and Taue gives a nice big running boot from the apron to the floor against Akiyama. Kobashi is suplexing fools including sending Misawa with a powerbomb into the corner and a lariat for Taue. However, he gets caught with the Flowsion from Misawa. This feels like a big neutralizer but Akiyama is ALIVE! Two Exploders to Misawa and one to Taue gains Akiyama the pin on Taue and Burning wins in two straight falls in impressive manner. Afterwards, to put the cherry on top of the sundae, Akiyama turns on Kobashi and just like that, we have the beginning of the feud that will help define Noah throughout the decade. As a storyline advancement vehicle, this match was a success all around even though it won’t end up on any MOTY lists for 2000. ***3/4