2015 Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame - Panel Discussion

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Re: 2015 Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame - Panel Discussion

Post by Robareid » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:32 pm

To my mind it depends if you look at the portfolio of matches he was a part of or your perceived level to his in-ring work.

miles

Post by miles » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:39 pm

I don't remember if you guys mentioned it in the podcast, but how do you feel about referees being elected?

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:32 am

I would probably never vote a referee. I know they have an instrumental job in the entire performance but I can't imagine the Value of Replacement Referee for anyone would be big enough for them to be HOF worthy. To me, Finkel was so special at his job that when you hear others try to replicate or replace him you can clearly tell the difference. Is the different between Earl Hebner and Mike Chioda enough to say Hebner is a WON HOF? I'd say no.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:49 am

Mean Gene, I think is very quantifiable in regards to his contribution to wrestling.

I'm not sure we can do the same for FINK...I just don't know how we logically get him there and I haven't seen a good argument for him. I mean, I get it...no one has been able to put it into words yet, though.

The fact that a ref is best when they are essentially invisible make the inclusion of a ref based on the voting base seems like a reach. I think the current/former wrestlers currently voting would give us good idea, but its only one portion of voters.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:45 pm

Need to apologize for Rob's embarrassing performance re: Orton. Disgraceful :)

Slaughter and Koloff are both on my hypothetical ballot. Slaughter's Carolina, AWA drawing and cultural icon status puts him over the top. Leaning yes on JYD.

wait on Lesnar and AJ.

Danielson's a no brainer on workrate.

and all that said. Sting is a better candidate than Orton :)

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:14 pm

ceftaxias

Post by ceftaxias » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:25 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:I would probably never vote a referee. I know they have an instrumental job in the entire performance but I can't imagine the Value of Replacement Referee for anyone would be big enough for them to be HOF worthy. To me, Finkel was so special at his job that when you hear others try to replicate or replace him you can clearly tell the difference. Is the different between Earl Hebner and Mike Chioda enough to say Hebner is a WON HOF? I'd say no.
Can we petition to get the ZERO1 announcer on the ballot then? That guy's announcing workrate smokes Howard's.

dj22319

Post by dj22319 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:29 pm

ceftaxias wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:I would probably never vote a referee. I know they have an instrumental job in the entire performance but I can't imagine the Value of Replacement Referee for anyone would be big enough for them to be HOF worthy. To me, Finkel was so special at his job that when you hear others try to replicate or replace him you can clearly tell the difference. Is the different between Earl Hebner and Mike Chioda enough to say Hebner is a WON HOF? I'd say no.
Can we petition to get the ZERO1 announcer on the ballot then? That guy's announcing workrate smokes Howard's.
I think u missed Rich's point.
The name's David Perez, but you can call me David Purorez (GET ITTTTT?)