Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame (2015)

Ryan C

Re: Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame (2015)

Post by Ryan C » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:44 pm

Last night on The LAW, Dave said there are seven new entrants.

Rob McCarron
VOW Staff Member

Post by Rob McCarron » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:45 pm

Yeah, he tweeted that a week ago. Some of us have made guesses as to the 7 in previous posts.
Shake Them Ropes
iTunes | Stitcher | Twitter |YouTube

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:40 pm

We haven't talked about it yet here, but here are your newcomers to the Observer Hall Of Fame

Brock Lesnar
Perro Aguayo Jr.
Shinsuke Nakamura
Carlos Colon
Eddie Quinn
Masked Assassins
Ivan Koloff

First things first, it's about damn time Colon got in.

Post of mine from PWO regarding the HOF

"Think we all had a feeling Nak, Perro Jr, and Brock would get in, but it's still disappointing as hell especially on the lucha side. What's the deal with Danielson though? With his recent success in WWE, becoming a star there and then the resume in-ring he's compiled over the years, I don't understand how he wouldn't get in over a Nakamura. That is one I would really need explained to me. Obviously the boom in NJPW's popularity gave Nak a better chance, but I would think Danielson's WWE success would take him over the top."

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:46 pm

I gotta say I'm most disappointed at the lack of votes for CIMA. I thought he was an even more worthy candidate then Nakamura based on the fact that he's had more longevity as a top draw in Dragon Gate (even if Dragon Gate isn't to the extent of NJPW is now) and IMO much more consistent work. I was shocked to see Danielson not get in. Especially since it was pretty much the active wrestlers that didn't vote him in. I thought he was a sure 1st ballot given the quality of worker he's been over the years. Dave made a point of Brock Lesnar being a once in a lifetime attraction. I almost feel the same about Danielson and his in ring work. He's such a natural and been top class for YEARS. Honestly if you asked me who the top 10 wrestlers of all time based purely on in ring work, he's easily in the Top 10. Only other person currently that I would put in there from this era is Hiroshi Tanahashi.
Last edited by dancecab on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:07 pm

dancecab wrote:Especially since it was pretty much the active wrestlers that didn't vote him in.
Thats the shocking thing really, who are these active wrestlers that didn't vote him in? It makes no sense.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:54 pm

What it tells you is that most active/former wrestlers (or at the least the ones that Dave gets to vote) don't value Ring of Honor or the independents. They either don't know that Danielson was successful on the indies both as a draw and as a worker or they don't care, either way it's very telling. As Joe and I discussed on the podcast (dropping very soon), there will be a time when voters are guys who CAME from the indies so it shouldn't be a glaring thing moving forward but for now, it's very telling.

JonnyBart

Post by JonnyBart » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:15 pm

Statoke wrote:
dancecab wrote:Especially since it was pretty much the active wrestlers that didn't vote him in.
Thats the shocking thing really, who are these active wrestlers that didn't vote him in? It makes no sense.
A pretty strong rebuttal to the argument that wrestlers are the best people to judge other wrestlers.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:29 pm

It's interesting to see that since the 15/50% rule cleared out the trash, so to speak, (that's mean), where all the votes went. The overwhelming majority of people gained in percentage to some degree. String's surge isn't a surprise, but it's nice to see some sort of vindication form some darker horses too like the Sharpes of the world.

I just finished listening to the podcast, and agree that the narrative that young guys get in too easy has self-fulfilled in the opposite way. I think most voters think the older wrestlers are vulnerable, so it slights the current generation.

But, then, things will eventually progress in the same way. For better and worse. The young generation will balk at how their favorites aren't getting in, and we'll be sharing all of our favorite RKOs and saying "you know he really was the lynchpin of wrestling history there for a while. And the longevity...!"

So I wouldn't spend too much emotion of Bryan not getting in. It'll happen. We're getting old fast, so don't jinx it by wishing it along.

ThomasOP

Post by ThomasOP » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:49 pm

Dave, already talking about putting AJ back on the ballot is ridiculous.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:20 pm

ThomasOP wrote:Dave, already talking about putting AJ back on the ballot is ridiculous.
THIRD TIMES THE CHARM!

JML

Post by JML » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:32 pm

I thought it was fishy when Dave put Dr. Death on the Japan ballot after he dropped off the North American one but putting AJ back on would be crazy. And I really like AJ too.

I'm still shocked about Nakamura getting in. I have watched most of his career up to 2008 and from 2013 onward. I feel like he's just now hitting his stride as a performer.

Grammarian

Post by Grammarian » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:58 pm

The only shock for me was Bryan not going in, though I feel like he will surely go in eventually. I thought there was a possibility that Nakamura would go in, but thought it was more likely that he'd fall short. It seems too early to me.
Last edited by Grammarian on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

JonnyBart

Post by JonnyBart » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:37 am

ThomasOP wrote:Dave, already talking about putting AJ back on the ballot is ridiculous.
Rules are rules unless they're not.

ceftaxias

Post by ceftaxias » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:54 am

JML wrote:I thought it was fishy when Dave put Dr. Death on the Japan ballot after he dropped off the North American one but putting AJ back on would be crazy. And I really like AJ too.
And AJ will go back on because his peak was in Japan, but everyone in the rest of the world category could potentially be moved because the majority of their careers were in North America.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:09 am

The top end of the active wrestlers voting has me curious about the makeup of the voters who qualify. For the most part, I can understand most of the top 30, but it really is perplexing to me that the Assassins and more importantly Crockett Sr. are so highly ranked. The former don't seem to be especially influential on modern wrestling while the latter was already deceased before many active wrestlers were born.

There is probably both an anti-Indie bias and a "believing what the WWE says" negative against Bryan, but with his numbers this year, I imagine he will eventually get in. I did enjoy listening to Matt Farmer and Dave talk about not being ready to vote Nakamura in with his current resume the day after he got voted in. Guys, it doesn't matter anymore; the deed is done.