2016 WON HOF: 4 New Inductees

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

2016 WON HOF: 4 New Inductees

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:21 pm

Dave released the HOF results on this week's Observer (http://members.f4wonline.com/wrestling- ... erver-hall).

New inductees: Bryan Danielson/Daniel Bryan, Gene Okerlund, Sting and 19th century pioneer James McLaughlin. Thoughts/prayers? There's a lot of super interesting facts and notes throughout the issue that I'll discuss once I've had time to digest them a bit more.

If anyone is interested, I've compiled voting percentages for the last few years. Good way to look at trends, track rises/falls, etc. Anyway if you're interested you can view it below:

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Re: 2016 WON HOF: 4 New Inductees

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:56 pm

Slaughter improving pleases me, even if I'm not dead set on him as a HOF'er

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:07 pm

RIP endless debates on Sting. I'd say it's been great, but it really hasn't.

Can't argue with any of these picks as they're all deserving. Hoping Slaughter, Edge, Hart and Apter make more progress next year.

Just to add to this, here are the new names coming on the ballot next year: A.J. Styles, Sputnik Monroe, Trish Stratus, Kota Ibushi, Bill Goldberg, Rick Martel, Tully Blanchard & Arn Anderson w/J.J. Dillon. I think we may see an uptick in interest in discussions given the new nominees and some of the old, well argued nominees getting in.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:29 pm

I just noticed, in reading the Observer intro to the HOF article, that longevity is one of four criteria for induction. Is this new? I don't recall that being part of the equation prior to this year officially (although it has been used for purposes of arguing against wrestlers with short runs).

elloziom

Post by elloziom » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:01 pm

Kota Ibushi added to the ballot is a very interesting thing. I'm really looking forward to see the discussion about him. Also STING IS FINALLY IN THE HOF. Thank God we still have JYD and Big Daddy. Also I've seen many lucha fans upset that nobody from Mexico got with many really deserving candidates with some of the guys proposing guys to unite to vote for certain people :).

Grammarian

Post by Grammarian » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:20 pm

mlev76 wrote:I just noticed, in reading the Observer intro to the HOF article, that longevity is one of four criteria for induction. Is this new? I don't recall that being part of the equation prior to this year officially (although it has been used for purposes of arguing against wrestlers with short runs).
It's not new. He's used the 'longevity' line before.

As far as Ibushi goes, he just hasn't had a Hall of Fame career yet. He has top-level talent, but he hasn't had a Hall of Fame career. Kota Ibushi may be my favorite wrestler, but, I don't see how he has compiled a Hall of Fame career at this point in his career.
Last edited by Grammarian on Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

powerfulmgp

Post by powerfulmgp » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:29 pm

Jeff Hawkins wrote:Slaughter improving pleases me, even if I'm not dead set on him as a HOF'er
Slaughter is a bubble guy for me, but you can have a pretty fun and productive debate over his candidacy. Compare that to Sting, which had just devolved into two sides yelling at each other and me not caring either way.

powerfulmgp

Post by powerfulmgp » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:31 pm

Grammarian wrote:
mlev76 wrote:I just noticed, in reading the Observer intro to the HOF article, that longevity is one of four criteria for induction. Is this new? I don't recall that being part of the equation prior to this year officially (although it has been used for purposes of arguing against wrestlers with short runs).
It's not new. He's used the 'longevity' line before.

As far as Ibushi goes, he just hasn't had a Hall of Fame career yet. He has top-level talent, but he hasn't had a Hall of Fame career.
Yep, longevity have been a criteria from the start. 3/4 of the modern US candidates would be in otherwise.

powerfulmgp

Post by powerfulmgp » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:36 pm

Martel is a really interesting one. There's a lot more there than most people realize.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:41 pm

How many bottles is Hawkins poppin for sting RN?

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:52 pm

This is a pretty accurate point. Even if you consider them without JJ, they lasted only about two years. Kinda odd to include them on the ballot given this.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:22 pm

Sorry for asking instead of finding it for myself, but what's the status on the "over-50%-or-dropped" crew? And are there anyone new ones going into that territory next year?

All I know is that Volk Han went way under, and that Villano III and Cien Caras JUST missed once again. But I can't recall who else is in that zone.

Grammarian

Post by Grammarian » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:25 pm

Garuda wrote:Sorry for asking instead of finding it for myself, but what's the status on the "over-50%-or-dropped" crew? And are there anyone new ones going into that territory next year?

All I know is that Volk Han went way under, and that Villano III and Cien Caras JUST missed once again. But I can't recall who else is in that zone.
Less than 10% of the votes from the region and dropped from next year’s ballot: Brute Bernard & Skull Murphy, Domenic DeNucci, Kinji Shibuya, Ron Wright, George Gordienko, Masahiko Kimura, Fishman, Mario Milano

Dropped from next year’s ballot due to the 15 year/50% rule: Seiji Sakaguchi, Volk Han

Added to the ballot next year: A.J. Styles, Sputnik Monroe, Trish Stratus, Kota Ibushi, Bill Goldberg, Rick Martel, Tully Blanchard & Arn Anderson w/J.J. Dillon

Will be dropped after next year if not inducted or 50%: Cien Caras, Blue Panther, Villano III, Don Owen, Tim “Mr. Wrestling” Woods, Curt Hennig
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:32 pm

Thank you thank you. Honestly, I'm just going to do what I already should've done and resub to the Observer for the HOF coverage.

Very interesting how many flamed out and went under 10% this year. Also very happy to see Curt Hennig on notice. No offense to the man, but this nomination needs to drop.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:19 pm

Ferrante207 wrote:How many bottles is Hawkins poppin for sting RN?
this is a misnomer

Rob basically said "You're defending Sting" for a show, so I made a case. It wasn't going to be an affront to me if he never made it