Outside looking in: The people you want in on your list but didn't make the cut.

To celebrate Ring of Honor’s upcoming 15th anniversary in February of 2017, Place to Be Nation and Voices of Wrestling are teaming up to present The Honor Roll: ROH’s 50 Greatest Wrestlers Ever, held exclusively on the Voices of Wrestling forums.
BackLash

Outside looking in: The people you want in on your list but didn't make the cut.

Post by BackLash » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:19 pm

When the Honor Roll list started about a year ago I was so confident I could put everyone I wanted on this list. However, after doing research there are people that I technically didn't see it all the matches that I knew deserve to be on that list and my plans went out the window. There are people I even nominated that I couldn't even put in my own darn 50 personal list so I'm kind and supportive about that but I knew they didn't belong overall. That being said I want to put who I wanted to be in that list here and consider them getting a burgundy participation ribbon.

Kazuchica Okada: If he was still who he was but was more an ROH guy instead of a New Japan guy there be no reason why you wouldn't be on this list. I nominated him thinking he could be in the lower rungs, but again I misjudged. That said he just didn't have enough match for him to make it.

Silas Young: Another guy I nominated but couldn't end up placing on my list. Too many guys overshadowed him is ring work, mic work, titles and accolades won, and tenure. Had we factored in sheer manliness, he'd be in the top 5.

Bobby Dempsey: I've only seen and handful of his matches, but after researching RoH I was impressed by his tenure and win loss record. After seeing his Cagematch score, I didn't think it wise to put him on.

KUSHIDA: I keep hearing how he wants to win singles gold in RoH and I really think he can do it. If he had an extended tour with the company, he'd fit like a glove. But like Okada, he isn't around the company enough.

D'Lo Brown: Only cause he's on of my favorite wrestlers ever. But to be honest, he accomplished more even in TNA, so nope.

Cheeseburger: So humble and lovable, I really wanted to make him 50. Sadly if I did, I'd take that space from someone who I felt deserved it for being anything other than super over jobber.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: Outside looking in: The people you want in on your list but didn't make the cut.

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:50 pm

I had Bobby Dempsey on my non wrestler list.

I snubbed James Gibson. I just never "got" him, he never connected with me. Always thought he was pretty dry.

Brent Albright was my last cut.

Moose, Dijak, Jerry Lynn (not his fault the push was ill advised timing wise with Tyler Black's being stalled), KUSHIDA, Okada, Delirious (both lists), Ciampa were considered.

Special attraction wise I went with Kobashi & Eddy Guerrero. I considered Misawa (because his matches meant so much to me personally), Lance Storm, Super Crazy.

Wanted to squeeze in RD Evans. Couldn't.

mlev76

Re: Outside looking in: The people you want in on your list but didn't make the cut.

Post by mlev76 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:31 pm

Excluding all of the special attraction talent was a necessary component of the way I came up with the list. No matter how much the Kobashi match meant to me or the company as a whole, I felt giving him a slot would take away from someone who had put the work in to making ROH great on a regular basis. A special attractions list would be a lot of fun, but I couldn't justify any of them on the top 50 list.

avengers23

Post by avengers23 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:11 am

I wish I could have fit Doug Williams and John Walters into my 50.

CIMA, Yoshino, and Dragon Kid were my special attraction wrestlers that I couldn't fit.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:55 pm

Kenny King and Sara Del Rey were my last two cuts.

The next group was Dalton Castle, Spanky, Silas Young, and Amazing Red. At one time all of these were in my bottom three, but as I made room to ensure every World champ was represented - and then I took a look back and how I scored people for historical significance and made sure that was better represented.