General discussion thread for Honor Roll project

To celebrate Ring of Honor’s upcoming 15th anniversary in February of 2017, Place to Be Nation and Voices of Wrestling are teaming up to present The Honor Roll: ROH’s 50 Greatest Wrestlers Ever, held exclusively on the Voices of Wrestling forums.
DETROIT_KEJB

Re: Introducing The Honor Roll: ROH's 50 Greatest Wrestlers Ever

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:09 am

So I did a "quick" Top 50 that I can then do my research and make adjustments off of.

14 current roster members make the early list. Actually more than I would have predicted.

BradPTBN

General discussion thread for Honor Roll project

Post by BradPTBN » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:06 pm

Let's use this as a dedicated thread to discuss your rankings, thought process, etc. Share your commentary here.

K. Hare

Re: General discussion thread for Honor Roll project

Post by K. Hare » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:58 am

So going in, 50 didn't seem like a big number. However, after making a quick list, it really does feel massive. Like, guys I wouldn't really think I'd consider for a list like this would make it. Therefore, at least for me, a lot of the special attraction candidates like Kobashi, Super Dragon, KUSHIDA, and more will at minimum get serious consideration from me. I think someone like Kenta Kobashi deserves to make it more than a guy who was in the company for a lot longer, is right on the bubble but doesn't have many highs.

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:24 pm

K. Hare wrote:I think someone like Kenta Kobashi deserves to make it more than a guy who was in the company for a lot longer, is right on the bubble but doesn't have many highs.
Why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:11 am

K. Hare wrote:So going in, 50 didn't seem like a big number. However, after making a quick list, it really does feel massive.
I got to around 32 today on the first list that I felt real good and then started digging for that next group to make the remaining 18. Lot of work to do there - which is good for debate and discussion at least.

itsberlo

Post by itsberlo » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:19 pm

In my opinion, I feel that my #1 for this list is pretty easy however the rest is a crap shoot. Where to place Nigel? Punk? Joe? The Briscoes? The whole process is quite fun. This thread has brought out a new appreciation for ROH and made me go back and watch older shows that I have not seen in years. Overall this is a great idea and I am stoked to see who places where.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:57 pm

I've been watching the recently re-released Honor Goes Ultra Violent (I'm still surprised they never released this as a DVD) and the 100th Show 3-on-3 is right there with Low-Ki/KENTA for best match I've watched during this project.

I'm not blazing a trail or unearthing anything that isn't already lauded, but this is just fantastic.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:01 pm

Thanks to Case, fired up the first Steen ROH comp today. The Generico mach from 7/23/05 was a really solid precursor to how those guys worked together. I mean, it was really good and this was just 2005.

The comp fast forwards to '07 and I'll tell you what, the Steen/Generico vs. Jay Briscoe/Erick Stevens/eventually Mark Briscoe (concussion angle) was a really good piece of business (4/14/07 match).

It tingles my selling senses that even a match built around a concussion story has very limited selling, but a very good match nonetheless.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:45 pm

I finished up the Steenerico/Briscoes feud and maybe the biggest thing that stood out to me was how Steen looked/acted/wrestled like the biggest star in those matches.

I liked the street fight they had quite a bit, cage match was a logical next step and unique in its own right, and then ladder war put a bow on an amazing series.

For the sense of this project, it may seem odd to focus on guys clearly on the list (and probably very high on the list), but this was worthwhile.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:46 pm

BradPTBN wrote:I finished up the Steenerico/Briscoes feud and maybe the biggest thing that stood out to me was how Steen looked/acted/wrestled like the biggest star in those matches.

I liked the street fight they had quite a bit, cage match was a logical next step and unique in its own right, and then ladder war put a bow on an amazing series.

For the sense of this project, it may seem odd to focus on guys clearly on the list (and probably very high on the list), but this was worthwhile.
I remember liking the 2/3 falls in NYC a ton too. The Cage Match was the only thing that I wasn't wild on, then again I don't think I've ever been wild on an ROH Cage Match that wasn't faction vs faction

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 pm

Alan4L wrote:
BradPTBN wrote:I finished up the Steenerico/Briscoes feud and maybe the biggest thing that stood out to me was how Steen looked/acted/wrestled like the biggest star in those matches.

I remember liking the 2/3 falls in NYC a ton too. The Cage Match was the only thing that I wasn't wild on, then again I don't think I've ever been wild on an ROH Cage Match that wasn't faction vs faction
The 2/3 match was great, but fell short of some of the others because 1) It had to follow Morishima/Danielson and 2) Having the Briscoes win both falls limited the drama. It had one of the craziest spots I've seen live (Generico being beel tossed over the turnbuckle onto Steen. From where I sat, I didn't even see Steen and presumed Generico was dead.)

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:37 pm

Just want to double check, but for this project, are The Young Bucks being counted as a team, whereas The Briscoes are being counted as Jay & Mark separately?

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:31 pm

DXvsNWO wrote:Just want to double check, but for this project, are The Young Bucks being counted as a team, whereas The Briscoes are being counted as Jay & Mark separately?
I think it should be that way. If the elements of the team have distinguishable singles work then they should be separate. If they don't then lump them as one.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:53 pm

Yeah the Bucks are tricky, but we (Joe, Rich and myself) came to a decision that they count as one of the following:

Listed individually as Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson or taking up two spots and listed as The Young Bucks.

We're ranking wrestlers, not tag teams or groups so it's gotta be more than one spot. They really are an anomaly in that every other tag team was nominated separately but because they are so similar, we wanted to just have one discussion/nomination thread for them.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:00 pm

I found it funny (again really, I did this for the GWE) where I had my list locked at 51 and was pouring over the last cut, when the difference points-wise is so negligible when you're talking #49 and #50.