Introducing The Honor Roll: ROH's 50 Greatest Wrestlers Ever

To celebrate Ring of Honor’s upcoming 15th anniversary in February of 2017, Place to Be Nation and Voices of Wrestling are teaming up to present The Honor Roll: ROH’s 50 Greatest Wrestlers Ever, held exclusively on the Voices of Wrestling forums.
BradPTBN

Re: Introducing The Honor Roll: ROH's 50 Greatest Wrestlers Ever

Post by BradPTBN » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:01 pm

Joe Gagne wrote:Is there any kind of limit for appearances? Kenta Kobashi worked two matches, one of which was incredible - would he count?

I feel there should be a ten match minimum or so. Basically, Morishima and Kenta should count, Kobashi and Misawa should not.
Was brainstorming a "Top Ten Attractions" poll for guys limited in appearances. What do you guys think the cutoff for matches should be - or is it more up to the voter?

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:23 pm

BradPTBN wrote:
Joe Gagne wrote:Is there any kind of limit for appearances? Kenta Kobashi worked two matches, one of which was incredible - would he count?

I feel there should be a ten match minimum or so. Basically, Morishima and Kenta should count, Kobashi and Misawa should not.
Was brainstorming a "Top Ten Attractions" poll for guys limited in appearances. What do you guys think the cutoff for matches should be - or is it more up to the voter?
I think the rule of thumb should be that you have to have been at least a semi-regular roster member to be considered for the actual Top 50 list. Personally, for the purposes of the Top 50, I don't feel comfortable putting a guy on there who's only had a couple of matches in ROH. I'd be all for a "Top Ten Attractions" poll. That's a perfect spot for guys like Kobashi, Misawa, Kensuke Sasaki, Katsuhiko Nakajima, the New Japan talents (Okada, Nakamura, Tanahashi, Liger, Ishii, and others), and even the Dragon Gate guys who've appeared over the years. You can easily fill a poll with at least ten, maybe more. Guys like KENTA, Morishima, Marufuji, Go Shiozaki, and even SHINGO should be considered for the Top 50, since they were all semi-regulars at one point or another.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:09 am

a shame that roh doesnt make a streming service...

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:18 am

DXvsNWO wrote: I think the rule of thumb should be that you have to have been at least a semi-regular roster member to be considered for the actual Top 50 list. Personally, for the purposes of the Top 50, I don't feel comfortable putting a guy on there who's only had a couple of matches in ROH. I'd be all for a "Top Ten Attractions" poll. That's a perfect spot for guys like Kobashi, Misawa, Kensuke Sasaki, Katsuhiko Nakajima, the New Japan talents (Okada, Nakamura, Tanahashi, Liger, Ishii, and others), and even the Dragon Gate guys who've appeared over the years. You can easily fill a poll with at least ten, maybe more. Guys like KENTA, Morishima, Marufuji, Go Shiozaki, and even SHINGO should be considered for the Top 50, since they were all semi-regulars at one point or another.
Thanks for the feedback. I should have been clearer - the Top Ten Special Attractions idea (which we're still debating) wasn't to move guys from the top 50 list pool, just an offshoot to solely rank those guys (which is why I was looking for some kind of baseline to qualify).

We're not implementing any restrictions on the Top 50 list. It's totally up to each voter to frame how they feel importance (or whatever qualifier they want) weighs in over other factors.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:19 am

BradPTBN wrote: Thanks for the feedback. I should have been clearer - the Top Ten Special Attractions idea (which we're still debating) wasn't to move guys from the top 50 list pool, just an offshoot to solely rank those guys (which is why I was looking for some kind of baseline to qualify).

We're not implementing any restrictions on the Top 50 list. It's totally up to each voter to frame how they feel importance (or whatever qualifier they want) weighs in over other factors.
That's totally fine. At the end of the day, it's all up to the voters (like you said). Personally, I'm probably not going to include special attraction guys who made very few appearances on my own Top 50 List, but if someone wants to place them highly on their own list, I'm not going to argue with that.

NutCrack

Post by NutCrack » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:00 pm

Surely Eddie Guerrero belongs on this? He was there from the start giving credibility, and him coming back with the IC title honoring his commitments really gave shine to the promotion in the early days.

Zubazkid

Post by Zubazkid » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:10 am

Thanks for putting this project together. It feels a lot more manageable and less intimidating to me than some other polls. I've been re-watching all the DVDs I had (and ones I bought for this project, ROH should give VOW and PTBN staff a discount for driving sales) in chronological order and loving revisiting and discovering new matches or digging deeper on some wrestlers.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:15 pm

Thanks for joining us! Looking forward to your commentary in the nomination threads.

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:21 pm

when do we start submitting our lists?
Who's Rob Viper ?

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:16 am

We'll be rolling out the voting in January

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:58 pm

Just an update on the voting - expect that mechanism to be unveiled later this month. With ROH's 15th show in March, plus a number of projects here (eBook, MOTY), we'll put a focus on getting the balloting system in place and give folks a good month to submit.

BITW3589

Post by BITW3589 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:58 pm

Any update on when the voting starts since we're almost at the end of January?

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:17 am

Yep, MOTY just closed yesterday, rollout is upcoming there. I'll have the voting in place hopefully by the end of the week here.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:47 pm

Rich and I are finalizing the form for the Top 10 Non-Wrestlers, should be out in the next 12 hours. Then on 2/1 we're targeting the Top 50 form being released. We're just tweaking and testing some things here and then we're good to go.

Both polls will remain open through February with the results released March 1st through 9th in advance of the 15th anniversary show.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:26 pm

Sweet, can't wait