Introducing The Honor Roll: ROH's 50 Greatest Wrestlers Ever

To celebrate Ring of Honor’s upcoming 15th anniversary in February of 2017, Place to Be Nation and Voices of Wrestling are teaming up to present The Honor Roll: ROH’s 50 Greatest Wrestlers Ever, held exclusively on the Voices of Wrestling forums.
BradPTBN

Introducing The Honor Roll: ROH's 50 Greatest Wrestlers Ever

Post by BradPTBN » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:26 pm

To celebrate Ring of Honor’s upcoming 15th anniversary in February of 2017, Place to Be Nation and Voices of Wrestling are teaming up to present The Honor Roll: ROH’s 50 Greatest Wrestlers Ever, held exclusively here on the Voices of Wrestling forums.

Sponsored by Rich and Mike from Voices of Wrestling and Brad and Chad from Place to Be Nation, anyone can nominate a past or present Ring of Honor wrestler for the project by creating a new thread in The Honor Roll Nominations sub-forum and kicking off the discussion. Starting in early January of 2017, the voting process will be rolled out, with voting open through the end of January. As we build to the 15th anniversary, we’ll release the results throughout the month of February as a collaborative effort by both sites and staff.

The criteria are simple; the only qualification we ask for is to base your voting and decision-making on the work done in Ring of Honor. Anyone who has wrestled in Ring of Honor is eligible, but this project is not to rank their overall careers against one another; rather just their time in Ring of Honor Wrestling.

It doesn’t matter if you were a fan from their inception, or only jumped into ROH recently – all discussion is welcome. Keep a look out for articles and podcasts on the project along the way. We look forward to everyone’s participation.

If you have any questions on the process or project, please don't hesitate to post them here.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Re: Introducing The Honor Roll: ROH's 50 Greatest Wrestlers Ever

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:35 pm

We've been talking about getting something like this off the ground for awhile, so I'm glad to finally see it come to fruition! This should be an incredible journey and if anything, we'll all watch a lot more great wrestler over the next few months.

Now if ROH just had a decent streaming service :lol:

Joe Gagne
VOW Staff Member

Post by Joe Gagne » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:16 pm

Is there any kind of limit for appearances? Kenta Kobashi worked two matches, one of which was incredible - would he count?

I feel there should be a ten match minimum or so. Basically, Morishima and Kenta should count, Kobashi and Misawa should not.

BITW3589

Post by BITW3589 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:20 pm

Can I nominate females that worked matches at times, but also were valets? There are two that fall in this category that I feel were somewhat important in the history of ROH.

With as much talent that has come through ROH over the years I wonder why this was made a Top 50 instead of a Top 100.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:25 pm

I would imagine nominations are totally open, but based on their ROH work. So Kenta Kobashi could be nominated, and its up to everyone else to see what kind of support he gets for his two matches. The women/valets too. All speculative.

EDIT: Also, this is really cool guys. Stuff like this is why VOW is so great.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:34 pm

Garuda wrote:I would imagine nominations are totally open, but based on their ROH work. So Kenta Kobashi could be nominated, and its up to everyone else to see what kind of support he gets for his two matches. The women/valets too. All speculative.
This is what we had in mind. Honestly couldn't have said it better myself.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:40 pm

BITW3589 wrote: With as much talent that has come through ROH over the years I wonder why this was made a Top 50 instead of a Top 100.
We mulled this over a good bit and felt 50 enabled a lot more debate around if someone would crack your list - and maybe more comparisons and discussions would come out of that.

The eventual results will count down from a much larger number.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:46 pm

This is an awesome idea and thank you for it.

Now, if only I will be able to work the rest of the day...

luchaundead

Post by luchaundead » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:49 pm

I already mentioned to Brad but I figured I should put it out to everyone, I think there should be at non-wrestler minimum top 10 because there have been many great performers that added so much to ROH without actually wrestling and they also deserve their due. Prince Nana and Julius Smokes both comes to mind but, I'd also say commentators as well Mike Hogewood deserves his moment in the sun!

BITW3589

Post by BITW3589 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:01 pm

luchaundead wrote:I already mentioned to Brad separably but I figured I should put it out to everyone, I think there should be at non-wrestler minimum top 10 because there have been many great performers that added so much to ROH without actually wrestling and they also deserve their due. Prince Nana and Julius Smokes both comes to mind but, I'd also say commentators as well Mike Hogewood deserves his moment in the sun!
Couldn't agree with you more I was going through the rosters over at cage match and I was like I want to put this person, but he's not a wrestler. In addition to Nana & Smokes you have to add Larry Sweeney.

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Most of us could knock out a strong Top 5 in a minute. But a 50 is interesting you have things like what McGuinness's legacy is, where to rank if at all someone like a Rhett Titus who has been there for years, giving Davey Richards his due etc.

dylanjstx

Post by dylanjstx » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:14 pm

How do we do tag teams? If I were to nominate the Backseat Boyz, would I nominate them separately despite not being able to point to good singles work?

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:20 pm

dylanjstx wrote:How do we do tag teams? If I were to nominate the Backseat Boyz, would I nominate them separately despite not being able to point to good singles work?
The original aim was to split them and rank each guy as an overall wrestler, which would include his (or her) work in tags. Tag/singles guys all treated equal here.

elloziom

Post by elloziom » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:27 pm

rovert wrote:Most of us could knock out a strong Top 5 in a minute. But a 50 is interesting you have things like what McGuinness's legacy is, where to rank if at all someone like a Rhett Titus who has been there for years, giving Davey Richards his due etc.
I think it's a great point. Plus we can also see how much stuff in other feds will influence the list. I would also like to know how much times and further success are going to affect it. For example how would you rank this list of guys: KENTA, Davey, Castagnoli, Lethal and Cole? KENTA had a short tenure, but whenever he came something great would happen. Davey was thought as ROH's ace ever since leaving of danielson till some point in 2012. Castagnoli had some nice matches and KOW run, but he might be remembered better due to his current wwe run (I don't think he was considered as a star in ROH except KOW rimes). Then we have Lethal who was involved in many important feuds and storylines and he is the current ace, but he really doesn't have a lot of 4*+ matches behind him. At least not a single one that is considered or top 10 in roh history or something. Cole is very similar to Lethal, but he's had this pwg run which may help him in the in-ring performance thing, because when he didn't have all those great matches here, he had them in reseda :roll: .

SammyJ_D

Post by SammyJ_D » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:00 am

elloziom wrote:
rovert wrote:Most of us could knock out a strong Top 5 in a minute. But a 50 is interesting you have things like what McGuinness's legacy is, where to rank if at all someone like a Rhett Titus who has been there for years, giving Davey Richards his due etc.
I think it's a great point. Plus we can also see how much stuff in other feds will influence the list. I would also like to know how much times and further success are going to affect it. For example how would you rank this list of guys: KENTA, Davey, Castagnoli, Lethal and Cole? KENTA had a short tenure, but whenever he came something great would happen. Davey was thought as ROH's ace ever since leaving of danielson till some point in 2012. Castagnoli had some nice matches and KOW run, but he might be remembered better due to his current wwe run (I don't think he was considered as a star in ROH except KOW rimes). Then we have Lethal who was involved in many important feuds and storylines and he is the current ace, but he really doesn't have a lot of 4*+ matches behind him. At least not a single one that is considered or top 10 in roh history or something. Cole is very similar to Lethal, but he's had this pwg run which may help him in the in-ring performance thing, because when he didn't have all those great matches here, he had them in reseda :roll: .
But those PWG matches should not matter at all.