The Joe Lanza Is Right Wrestling Is Pretty Awesome Thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
strikamura

Re: The Joe Lanza Is Right Wrestling Is Pretty Awesome Thread

Post by strikamura » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:08 am

Wouldn't want to live in a world in which an art form just stopped developing. You can't freeze wrestling in time. And if you could, you wouldn't look back fondly on "the old days" because they never would have ended and there'd be no difference. That it's constantly changing makes the history of wrestling special to those who have grown with it. In time, people will look back on today's "style" and wonder why it had to change. Applies to every form of entertainment.

whoknew

Post by whoknew » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:19 am

Buzz Sawyer wrote:As a "old timey" wrestling fan from the early 80's, I truly miss the storytelling and some of the great, long series of matches you use to see. The drama of the Steamboat/Youngblood vs. Slaughter/Kernodle series was incredible and there really hasn't been anything like that since. The 2 year plus feud in GCW of Tommy Rich & Buzz Sawyer was incredible and to me, nothing beats that. I do like some of the NJPW stuff and want to get into the Rev Pro & Progress matches soon, as it seems to have elements that I might like. I really hate wrestlers like the Young Bucks, who really only do "spot wrestling". That's not wrestling, that's gymnastics.
You would love the never ending Suzukigun vs NOAH feud lol.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:16 am

strikamura wrote:Wouldn't want to live in a world in which an art form just stopped developing. You can't freeze wrestling in time. And if you could, you wouldn't look back fondly on "the old days" because they never would have ended and there'd be no difference. That it's constantly changing makes the history of wrestling special to those who have grown with it. In time, people will look back on today's "style" and wonder why it had to change. Applies to every form of entertainment.
Posts like this is why this forum needs a like feature

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:54 pm

Dragonzombie wrote:I miss limbwork tbh.
Agreed. Everything really seems too rushed these days.
Who's Rob Viper ?

Flapjackawa

Post by Flapjackawa » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:21 pm

Dragonzombie wrote:I miss limbwork tbh.
I feel there is a whole contingent of wrestlers like ZSJ, Gulak and Thatcher who embrace catch as catch can and use limbwork to propel the story they're telling. If there is a style of wrestling you like you can find it if you look hard enough.

Flapjackawa

Post by Flapjackawa » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:36 pm

Buzz Sawyer wrote:As a "old timey" wrestling fan from the early 80's, I truly miss the storytelling and some of the great, long series of matches you use to see. The drama of the Steamboat/Youngblood vs. Slaughter/Kernodle series was incredible and there really hasn't been anything like that since. The 2 year plus feud in GCW of Tommy Rich & Buzz Sawyer was incredible and to me, nothing beats that. I do like some of the NJPW stuff and want to get into the Rev Pro & Progress matches soon, as it seems to have elements that I might like. I really hate wrestlers like the Young Bucks, who really only do "spot wrestling". That's not wrestling, that's gymnastics.
I hear you, I didn't really start watching until '93 and i do a miss a year long build up to a blowoff match. Flair vs Vader and the emotion in the promos flair gave, or Funk vs flair with the plastic bag controversy and how unhinged the funker was during that run, those are the things I miss but it's just the change in the business. The only defense for the bucks is that their gimmick is absurd highspots but it seems that's more to egg on the older guard of pro wrestling ...but i love the backflip back rakes and two sweet eye pokes if only just for the heel heat and those two are never afraid to show there ass and play the cowards. (P.S the Muraco sandwich gimmick is one of my favorite things in wrestling ever)

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:36 am

FYI If the internet was as available in the 80's as it is now there'd have been fans from the 50's-70's telling everyone how awful wrestling has become with all these guys who can't really wrestle because they're not going to 1 hour draws every week or how in their day everything was more serious and nobody needed to talk. It was just about who was toughest!
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:58 am

Buzz Sawyer wrote:
ScorpioCorp wrote:Pro wrestling is only getting better and better. It is constantly becoming more athletic, more diverse and more creative.
I beg to differ. It's certainly not that creative and I don't know on what you mean by diverse. Athletic doesn't mean it's better by a long shot. Magnificent Muraco didn't fly through the air, but his matches had heat.
Well, it all depends on what you're tastes are. I would say pro wrestling has become more creative in the sense of promotions like Lucha Underground, DDT and Chikara have pushed the boundaries on how pro wrestling can be presented. I don't think diverse was the right word that I wanted to use, but I meant in the sense that there are more different kinds of wrestling moves, more kinds of wrestling characters/gimmicks, more kinds of wrestling styles and more different ways to market pro wrestling (create by things such as the internet and globalisation). I think more athleticism in wrestling overall is a good thing in that pro wrestlers are able to push themselves psychically further to put on phenomenal matches. I don't mean in a 'doing more flips' sense.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:07 am

strikamura wrote:Wouldn't want to live in a world in which an art form just stopped developing. You can't freeze wrestling in time. And if you could, you wouldn't look back fondly on "the old days" because they never would have ended and there'd be no difference. That it's constantly changing makes the history of wrestling special to those who have grown with it. In time, people will look back on today's "style" and wonder why it had to change. Applies to every form of entertainment.
Completely agree. Art forms must always evolve and explore new concepts to build on from has happened in the past.

sternness

Post by sternness » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:26 am

RobViper13 wrote:FYI If the internet was as available in the 80's as it is now there'd have been fans from the 50's-70's telling everyone how awful wrestling has become with all these guys who can't really wrestle because they're not going to 1 hour draws every week or how in their day everything was more serious and nobody needed to talk. It was just about who was toughest!
Do you ever have a moment when you're about to say something really fucking stupid and you just decide to not do it? Just wondering because if you do I'd love to know how this one somehow made it through that filter.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:21 pm

sternness wrote:
RobViper13 wrote:FYI If the internet was as available in the 80's as it is now there'd have been fans from the 50's-70's telling everyone how awful wrestling has become with all these guys who can't really wrestle because they're not going to 1 hour draws every week or how in their day everything was more serious and nobody needed to talk. It was just about who was toughest!
Do you ever have a moment when you're about to say something really fucking stupid and you just decide to not do it? Just wondering because if you do I'd love to know how this one somehow made it through that filter.
Right... because never in the history of pro wrestling have we ever encountered older wrestlers who think the new generation sucks. I was definitely not at a convention last weekend where I literally heard from various older wrestlers how silly wrestling has gotten. Nor have I ever worked with older wrestlers from the 80's who told stories about when they were coming up the guys in the generation before them hated what they were turning wrestling into.

I'd tell you to fuck off but I'm gonna use my filter as you suggested and just say go fuck yourself.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:23 pm

sternness wrote:
Wow you may disagree with Rob but can we do it in a sober tone and not go insult each other. You come off extremely bitter here for whatever reason. Totally unnecessary.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:29 pm

This past week has been pretty damn special.

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:00 pm

K. Hare wrote:This past week has been pretty damn special.
Yep, I've honestly lost count of how many great shows I've watched since last Friday! The April match of the month list is already going to huge... and Ospreay probably needs his own category!

Rottenrocker

Post by Rottenrocker » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:47 am

Took a break from wrestling for awhile and now I'm back catching up on ROH, PWG, indies, Japan and man it's amazing to see how much great wrestling is out there right now.

It's a great time to be a fan. 8-)