2016 New Japan Cup Pick'Em Standings (Updated: March 3, 2016)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
ssindelman

Re: 2016 New Japan Cup Pick'Em Standings (Updated: March 3, 2016)

Post by ssindelman » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:50 pm

Only got 2 right in round 2. Still got my finals intact though.

Guess Kojima ain't running to the end like some of the VOW pundits have been saying.

My final pick is Elgin but now I'm thinking Naito may go all the way and challenge Okada in Osaka.

skeach101

Post by skeach101 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:00 pm

This is the second year in a row that Yano is screwing up my brackets...

sivapc

Post by sivapc » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:04 pm

Not sure how it works, R2 is 2 pts for winner? i got all 4 in R2 and 7 in R1, but low in the list :|

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:07 pm

Some of the first round points seem to have changed. Bryn was given 8/8 last time and now he's been downgraded to 7/8.

JoshEngleman
VOW Staff Member

Post by JoshEngleman » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:26 pm

If anyone looked at the standings from the time I posted about the update, to right now, there was a sorting issue during the update. It has been rolled back and corrected. My apologies. I shouldn't do things before my coffee has a chance to kick in.

JoshEngleman
VOW Staff Member

Post by JoshEngleman » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:29 pm

sivapc wrote:Not sure how it works, R2 is 2 pts for winner? i got all 4 in R2 and 7 in R1, but low in the list :|
Scoring is 1-2-3-5. I'm assuming you'll enjoy your place in the standings now that I've fixed the glitch.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:50 pm

Day 2 standings~!

I've also added the requested column showing each person's pick for the Cup winner:

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:01 pm

Number 50! Not picking Goto has messed thinks up a little. Oh and my pick to win is Naito, not Elgin.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

TheLowEndTheory

Post by TheLowEndTheory » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:27 pm

I figured that either Honma or Yano would go on a surprise run to the semis. I unfortunately picked wrong and took Honma. Looks like that will cost me winning a prize again this year.

skeach101

Post by skeach101 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:01 pm

To the two people that actually predicted all of Round 2 correctly... meaning that you actually picked Yano going all the way to the Semi-finals.... Kudos to you. That was THE upset of the tournament for me.

skeach101

Post by skeach101 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:03 pm

I still have an (unlikely) path to victory. If the finals end with Goto and Naito, and everyone else with 13 points or above chose Elgin and Naito, I very well may win this thing, lol.

ROH_Virginia

Post by ROH_Virginia » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:40 pm

First, Thank you for adding the final column. This gives us a better picture of what we are up against. I'm up to 27 and feeling good. My only mess up was Goto/ Tonga in round one, and Fale didn't hurt too much since he's already out. I currently have 11 points, but assuming Elgin beats Goto, I'm moving on.

I love how most submissions are Elgin and Naito, and although I have Elgin, I am starting to think a Naito Vs Shibata match could be a good headliner. It would shock the world if Goto wins it all. Only time will tell.

I am not a fan of Yano, but I feel he has this Santino Marella aura to him. He isn't all that, but the company likes him and he's always placed in big matches. Combine that, with the fact that Honmas' gimmick is that he is a loser. I assumed he wasn't winning, and in the next round he had Kojima. Well Tenzan and Kojima have been a waste for the last two years. NJPW never uses those guys anymore.

I thought more of Togi Makabe and felt he would make it to the semifinals; he is my odd man out, but I have him losing in the next round. If Elgin can pull it off, I think I may have a winning tournament with the knowledge that nobody has a perfect bracket.

My tie breaker is 21 minutes in the final match.

skeach101

Post by skeach101 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:11 pm

I seem to be in the minority, but I REALLY think Goto is beating Elgin. Naito hasn't really done anything of note since the G1 Climax, so he really needs a big win to prove that he is a threat to Okada. Naito beating Goto would accomplish THREE things:

1. Naito gets his WK10 revenge against Goto.

2. Goto was the previous #1 contender for the Heavyweight title. By beating Goto, he demonstrates that he DESERVES a title shot against Okada. Beating Elgin doesn't accomplish this. Elgin beating Fale is a great showing, but to expect him to make it all the way to the finals seems silly to me. Also, beating Elgin doesn't do anything for Naito. Elgin is on the rise, but a victory over Elgin doesn't mean anything yet. A victory over Goto MEANS something.

3. Goto losing in the finals will further his "can't win the big one" storyline. He loses in the NJ Cup Finals TWO years in a row.

To me... Elgin over Goto seems weird, and I don't think they would do it... especially with how Gedo typically books.

ROH_Virginia

Post by ROH_Virginia » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:15 pm

I could easily be sold on Goto over Elgin, the only reason I don't see it happening is because Elgin just signed 2 years, maybe it's all the WWE watching in my life, but I figure you might want to make a big impact to slot Elgin as a top guy. This also will elevate his tag team with Tanahashi.

How does Elgin losing to Goto help Elgin at all? Goto loses all the time, so why would you have him beat your hot, new commodity? It's going to be fun to watch how it goes down.

I think NJPW needs something fresh with the shakeups they've had of late. Elgin could be that guy.

Naito and Shibata had an awesome confrontation on the October show. I believe that was when Shibata beat the living crap out of him. I thought that was a clear sign they would face off at the Dome, but that didn't happen.

Everyone left has a very good chance, accept for Yano. :)

skeach101

Post by skeach101 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:44 pm

ROH_Virginia wrote: How does Elgin losing to Goto help Elgin at all? Goto loses all the time, so why would you have him beat your hot, new commodity? It's going to be fun to watch how it goes down.

I think NJPW needs something fresh with the shakeups they've had of late. Elgin could be that guy.
Here is how I see it. Elgin is still pretty new. He had a great G1 Climax run, but other than that, he hasn't done much of note. He was in the World Tag League and then he lost to Jay Lethal at WK10. He's never even had a title shot for ANY NJPW titles. Having him hotshot to an IWGP Heavyweight title shot is risky.

Even with losing to Goto, Elgin has been elevated by this tournament. He beat Bad Luck Fale, who beat Tanahashi. That sends a pretty strong message. And now he's probably going to have an excellent match with the former #1 contender for the IWGP Heavyweight title. That sounds like a nice push by itself.

Here is the other problem with Elgin/Naito. I'm assuming that Naito wins, get's his title shot, and WINS. I don't think I'm in the minority in thinking that Naito is beating Okada. If that's true, wouldn't it be smarter to save Elgin vs. Naito? Elgin vs. Naito could very well headline a lesser show (i.e. Destruction). I see no reason to waste it now. I say save it.

Thanks how I see it anyway. Rich said on Twitter that 52% of entrants have Elgin in the finals with only 10% having Goto there, so clearly I'm in the minority.