Over The Top Wrestling - Ireland's #1!

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
themib

Over The Top Wrestling - Ireland's #1!

Post by themib » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:48 pm

In the "I'm surprised Alan4L didn't start this thread" thread, you really have to check out Over The Top Wrestling from Dublin, Republic of Ireland (they also run shows in Limerick). They started just under two years ago, and are already packing in 650 or so to the Tivoli Theatre. Think PROGRESS, but with mental Irish culture humour, and fans every bit as crazy.

I made my first trip over from London for last night's show "Ah Ted", and enjoyed myself immensely. Several really popular acts, including Rocky Mac and the Wards, The Lads From The Flats, The Gymnasties (SQUAT!) and Martina the Session Moth, who should all get a look from UK feds (Martina is doing some stuff for Preston City Wrestling soon). The Tag Title match, which saw the Lads From the Flats fall to the Kings of the North, even featured cameos from three cast members from the 90s comedy Father Ted, including Eoin McLove hilariously no-selling a Martina low blow, because if you watched the show, you know he has no willy.

And as for the main event - I'm completely familiar with Pete Dunne, Ryan Smile and especially Will Ospreay back home, but here, they absolutely tore the place up, one of the craziest spotfests I've seen live anywhere, and the local fans lost their shit. And Dunne gets heat like hardly anyone (though Paul Tracey comes close). Ospreay got mobbed at the merch table after the match - most of the fans there had just heard of him, but had never seen him, and their minds were blown by the end.

OTT shows are on Vimeo at https://vimeo.com/overthetopwrestling - "Ah Ted" should be up within the week, and I suggest you buy it to watch the main event when you're drawing up your MOTY lists. Can't wait for an excuse to come back here!

thebarrylad

Re: Over The Top Wrestling - Ireland's #1!

Post by thebarrylad » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:56 pm

I'll cosign everything Martin said! 'Ah Ted' was an unbelievable show live. Great humour, awesome characters that the audience just loved, and some awesome action.

The show in general might not resonate with foreign fans but the main event should be seen, for sure. Excited to go back in March*!

*This show did have an ECW/Sid or RPW/Bram moment when everyone popped huge for MR ANDERSON being announced for March 26, lol.

VonLInus

Post by VonLInus » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:13 am

I thought the Anderson thing was weird. I'm not over the moon about him being there, I'd rather they got a current name, like Ospreay (JUST KEEP OSPREAY HERE). Rhyno had ECW and Attitude WWF cred, plus NXT. Anderson is from a not great period of WWE, and TNA, which is well. TNA.

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:57 am

VonLInus wrote:I thought the Anderson thing was weird. I'm not over the moon about him being there, I'd rather they got a current name, like Ospreay (JUST KEEP OSPREAY HERE). Rhyno had ECW and Attitude WWF cred, plus NXT. Anderson is from a not great period of WWE, and TNA, which is well. TNA.
OTT isn't in the position to fly Americans in on their own. I don't know any other "name" that's in the UK that weekend and I don't see anyone who is on the PROGRESS card the next day that would draw casual fans:
http://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=135778

No idea what the business arrangement is with Mr Anderson but a lot of imports work in the UK essentially for "free" and just work for the merch and meet & greet money. The promotion just covers travel and accommodation.

thebarrylad

Post by thebarrylad » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:36 pm

A name for casuals is what it is. I don't mind it, and hell, I wish I got on the OTT train sooner so I could have seen Too Cool last year.

The people at the show seemed like a real eclectic mix. You had people who obviously still watch wrestling and follow the Indies (not shortage of Bullet Club shirts) but there was also a TONNE of people in OTT garb and older wrestling gear - and Anderson did get a big pop. I think they have a decent collection of fans who watched once upon a time/check-in occasionally and appreciate the TV names. I think his shtick will get over huge there.

I don't know a thing about Paul Tracey but that match will be fascinating.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:34 pm

The Father Ted cast run-ins~!

VonLInus

Post by VonLInus » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:33 pm

I did a little bit of a writeup on people in the show:

Wrestlers:
The Lads from The Flats: Northsiders who are the crowd favourites. Northsiders would be the poorer side of Dublin, so it'd mean they take drugs, wear tracksuits, steal things, and are frequently wasted. This makes them tremendously popular. They're the dudes handcuffed to the ropes in the FR. Ted segment above.
Session Moth Martina: She's a party girl who smokes and drinks and wears leopardskin outfits, and comes out to 90s techno. She grinds against wrestlers who are frequently disgusted. She is into The Fabulous Nicky.
The Fabulous Nicky: Homosexual stereotype, very popular. Has no interest in Session Moth/
Luther Ward: Comes out to Put 'em Under Pressure, the song that was the soundtrack to Ireland's campaign in the 1990 football world cup. It's effectively hardwiring Irishness, nobility, and a never say die attitude and the entire crowd goes crazy. He's basically Brad Pitt in Snatch. Little hat, fights a lot.
Pa Ward: A relative of Luther Ward, he is skinny and more like a cruiser than anything. He's pretty ok. Had a brief teased heel turn against his brother, Rocky Mac.
Rocky Mac: He's another Ward, He's alright but does a lot of famous wrestler spots. Like the Peopke's elbow and Rock Bottom and Stone Cold Stunner. He's built like a brick shithouse.
Pete Dunne: evil Champion. People don't like him. He's very good though.
Sir Paul Tracey: Evil Protestant Landowner. He's got 800 years of heeling behind him. When he fought Pete Dunne, the crowd chanted 'We Hate You Both'. He's a pretty good technical heel wrestler, like William Regal.
Ryan Smile: Flippy British wrestler. Very popular. He sells 'Yes We Can' tshirts at the shows. Apparently because he got a Barack Obama chant at a show once.
Logan Bryce: Rugby themed wrestler. People chant 'He's got sellotape, on his head' to the tune of 'he's got the whole world, in his hands'. He's EVIL. Has Clotheslined Martina, the Session Moth to the horror of those in attendance.
'Jumping' Jack O'Brien/JOB: He had a brief cameo at the last show. He's a face currently.
The Gymnasties: 3 man Heel tag team recently turned face. Justin Shape does the talking, they are overweight gym dudes who have 'Squat?' tshirts. So people shout Squat, instead of what when they speak, but it works for them, very well. They're very funny dicks. They have recently entered into a feud with the heel team the Body Bros
The Body Bros: 3 Man Heel team, who ARE actually in tremendous shape. The Gymnasties are complaining that the Body Bros stole their gimmick.
The Bronsons: 3 man face team. They've got Tron from ICW, and 2 other dudes, they looked like a cut price Wyatt family, except they don't talk and don't seem to have much going for them, except Tron is really big.
Kings of the North: Northern Irish heel tag team champions. They spend a lot of time in the gym, which makes for a massive contrast with the Lads from the Flats. They work hard and are pretty ok.

The next show is Scrappermania 2: The Rising, which will be:

Luther Ward vs Pete Dunne for the NLW championship
The Lads from the Flats vs The Kings of the North for one last session, apparently one of the Lads has to emigrate.
Mr. Anderson vs. Paul Treacy, the owner and son of the owner putting up a wrestler each, winner gets control of the company.

Nothing else announced yet, I think.

BohsJohnny

Post by BohsJohnny » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:48 pm

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:41 am

Hoping to rewatch the main this evening. Excited for it!

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:11 pm

Martina and Luther Ward on TV3 yesterday:
http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/723/1056 ... Clock-Show

PEAK Irish TV. Around the 37 minute mark or so.

Really glad for Martina/Karen. Ireland is never more acutely an island than when it comes to Women's Wrestling. At best historically there's been 3 active females at any one time and with female import talent being VERY rare. OTT has given her the first role of any substance.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:14 pm

I gave the main event a watch today, I can see why people would have loved it live but it did not impress on tape. Lots of awkward waiting around, a handful of really awkward botches that killed the flow of the match.

thebarrylad

Post by thebarrylad » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:04 pm

God, 3Player is dire - and that show makes me glad I'm not unemployed any more.

Fair play to them though.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:29 pm

Robareid wrote:I gave the main event a watch today, I can see why people would have loved it live but it did not impress on tape. Lots of awkward waiting around, a handful of really awkward botches that killed the flow of the match.
would have benefitted from a hard cam for sure. Not really a match suited to the up close camera shoot for the whole thing. Definitely loses lot on the VOD but trust me, live, it was INCREDIBLE.

themib

Post by themib » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:55 pm

Couple of recent additions to ScrapperMania II on March 26th - T-Bone joins Charlie Garrett against The Wards, and Martina will face PROGRESS standout Jinny.

VonLInus

Post by VonLInus » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:59 am

OTT generally make a good effort around the ringside to go with whatever theme they have for the show. Scrappermania had small Irish flags all around the ring, and a copy or two of the Proclamation of the Republic, and some large Irish flags going on. Irish music played to get people in the mood, and we all sang the National Anthem (Amhran na bFhiann) to get things going.
The first match was Jordan Devlin vs. Dunkan Disorderly.
Jordan is Irish, Dunkan Disorderly is from Belfast, which is or isn't Irish depending on who you ask and how they answer. So massive heat for Dunkan when he used a low blow on Dunkan. This becomes a theme in the show where the Irish fight pluckily, and the foreign (hated British) wrestlers use low blows or cheating to get DQed.

Jinny Couture came out to insane heat.
Martina vs. Jinny Couture.

People Do Not Like Jinny. People love Martina. Martina did a plancha on Jinny's manager to start the match, but she lost due to a run in from a male wrestler, Damien Corvin (another Belfast wrestler) who did a sort of leaping kick to the face as Martina sat on the top rope. Lunatic finish to the match. Martina got pinned as a result. but is having a tag match against Jinny and someone else. Martina, aka session Moth said her mate Nixon would be coming back, which got chants of 'Session Friend'.
Charlie Garrett and T-Bone vs. Rocky Mac and Pa Ward
Charlie Garrett I saw at my first show. I didn't know what to make of him at the time because he came out smiling, then got booed because people liked his opponent Ryan Smile more. So Garrett started singing God save the Queen. Nuclear heat.

This match, though, everyone knew where they stood, Garrett and T-Bone came out in English Rugby shirts, snapped Irish flags at ringside, sang God save the Queen (and Swing Low Sweet Chariot). The fans sang Ole Ole Ole, You'll never beat the Irish, the National Anthem again, in order to drown them out. It was absolutely great. Garrett, I'd be amazed if he doesn't go far in wrestling. He's got loads of personality, is genuinely funny, wrestles really well. He cut his finger on the flags he was destroying, and was mocked. T-Bone and Garrett set themselves up to be chopped by the fans (I got one in on Charlie), and brawled around ringside. Again the British got themselves DQed with cheating rather than lose the match fairly. Boo and indeed Hiss.

The Lads from the Flats vs. the Gymnasties
Awesome comedy match. The Lads from the Flats are breaking up because Martin is going to prison for six months (He is not), although he insists he didn't do it. The Gymnasties are trying to work themselves into tag title contention after a win last month. This was really, really funny. The Gymnasties recently turned face because people love them. They're a hilarious incompetent EVIL team. The Gymnasties got the win, but the stars were the Lads from the Flats who got a massive ovation, and had one last rave before leaving. Everyone threw their glowsticks into the ring at the end, which made a nice moment, probably less physically damaging than when people threw chairs into the ring in ECW.

Mr Anderson vs. Paul Tracey
Control of the company match between the Feuding Humperdincks
A pretty good match. I'm not a massive fan of Mr Anderson/Kennedy- he was in WWE in the mid 2000s which was a pretty bad wrestling time. He was ok, but nothing memorable. The only thing I remember at least, is him doing a Mic Check (a forward tumble onto the ground, with an opponent across his shoulders) to Hornswoggle, the little person/leprechaun. But he put in lots of effort here, and seemed to be having a good time Bit of mic work, a decent match with Paul Tracey, who is great, sort of the Irish William Regal, maybe. All sound mat work and being a rotten bastard whenever possible. Mr. Anderson won clean, despite many cheating attempts, and we were all happy and set up for the main,

Pete Dunne vs. Luther Ward
The booking for the entire show was really good, because I was getting worried that the non clean finishes would mean THIS match wouldn't have a clean finish.

This one has been building since August 2014, apparently, as Luther gets his big shot at The Unstoppable Pete Dunne, who has been a workhorse champion. He's a fucking massive dick, Pete Dunne, in the ring. Added to this, at the start, before the wrestlers come out, they start showing a slideshow of the 1916 martyrs, tying that with this. It's cheap, and crude, but Jesus it works.

Any chance he gets to cheat, to grind away at fingers or eye poke when the refs back is turned, he takes it. You can see him giving me the finger with Luther's hand at the top of the page. It was great.

Luther Ward eventually wins clean as a whistle after a massive fight, the Fields of Athenry starts playing, the Ward section are going crazy, the Wards are all going crazy too, Rocky Mac is wearing shorts that put Shawn Michaels ref shorts to shame.

I had to leg it but I was up early the next morning to make sure I had tickets for the next one. I've never had a night out in Dublin as good as I get with OTT wrestling. I've never enjoyed a movie as much, or a play as much, or a concert as much as I get from sitting ringside for this.

Sorry fiddling around with the font colouring.