New Japan Cup 2016

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: New Japan Cup 2016

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:10 am

ceftaxias wrote:What do you guys think the main event will be then? I could be missing something obvious but I really don't think it'll be Tana/Omega, I would think those two would be kept apart for a good amount of time, and I said it earlier but at the moment that's a terrible match from a booking standpoint. And plus the way the schedule is set up, it was mentioned earlier in thread but it telegraphs which titles will be defended where. The heavyweight belt will be defended at Invasion Attack, the IC at Dontaku, and the NEVER at whatever the other show is.
This is the first time in years that I have no discernible clue where they are going with anything, other than an eventual Okada/Naito match (which Naito should win).

pol

Post by pol » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:39 am

Naito/Okada seems like the best chance they have of selling out Sumo Hall to me. I could understand if they're willing to do a smaller house there in order to sell out the bigger building in Osaka though.

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:43 am

I think that's part of what has made this years Cup more interesting than the last few, firstly there are some new faces in the singles scene which, while it was initially criticised, has been very much a blessing in terms of getting new matches, and secondly, I have no clue where they are going. It's clear Naito is the eventual challenger for Okada but it doesn't seem like they should go there this quickly so does he win it and hold onto his title shot or does someone else win this so Naito can get his win back before taking the belt from Okada?

Also, I'm sure Gedo knows where he's going but as far as auditions for the G1 go Yoshi-Hashi and Wantanabe's could not have gone any better. I enjoyed the first Tonga match too, and am yet to see the second. So the question is, do they go with these guys for the G1 and hope they knock it out the park (Evil's obviously going in either way) or do they look to other promotions to fill the gaps left by (primarily) Nak, AJ, Anderson and (probably) Ibushi?

You've got Omega too obviously, plus possibly Suzuki and Kushida which might make it more comparable to last years in terms of talent (if not so much drawing power) but swapping out AJ, Nak and Ibushi with Tonga, Evil and Yoshi-Hashi would mean you basically need Okada and Tana to draw for you every night.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:37 pm

I love that there are three legitimate stories to be told depending on who wins next weekend.

Elgin is the shiny new toy with the shiny new contract who is establishing himself higher up the card right off the bat. A likely challenger to Omega if he wins, looking to avenge the loss of his buddy Tanahashi. Just like he did against Fale. Those kind of things might make Elgin think he doesn't need Tanahashi helping him out all that much..... (As a complete aside, I still can't believe how well Elgin fits in NJPW. I was live in Toronto last year when he faced Tanahashi and put on a lacklustre performance, and thought that Elgin had no chance of success. Instead, he's been one of the better things about NJPW since the G1.)

Goto is going through...something...but he's looking for redemption against Okada after the intense build up to his match against Okada, and the disappointing beating he took in the match. Whatever is going on with him will come to some sort of head here - he either wins and rematches Okada, or he falls short and freaks out. Not really sure what the end game is for Goto, but a win moves the story to the next chapter.

And then there's Naito. The act has been over since inception, but Naito has really stepped up the match quality in the NJ Cup so far, so it might be time to step up to the IWGP title scene. But, I think Joe's right that Naito can't lose his first shot, and it doesn't feel like the time for Okada to lose already. That being said, NJPW doesn't always do 'what feels right' to the viewers (in a good way), and that keeps things unpredictable. Also, I see Naito as Okada's generational rival, and if they want to move that issue up the ladder, the time might be right to have Naito end Okada's first reign as the true 'ace' before it can really get going.

And I know that there are 4 guys in the semi's, but if Yano wins, I may shoot myself.

jesse

Post by jesse » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:31 am

Robareid wrote:Guys I'm really not sure we're getting an Okada defense at Invasion Attack.
Even if Naito wins you aren't getting Okada vs Naito at Dontaku. He's already said he's not challenging for anything at Invasion Attack and if he could have his way he'd challenge in Osaka. That would mean Okada doesn't defend against anyone until July. Do you really think they're going to do that? That would be 5 months between title defenses for Okada since he'll have last defended it in February.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

Goat

Post by Goat » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:41 am

Dominion is in June this year not July

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:09 am

No, but I think there's a possibility we get an Okada Dontaku defence against somebody not called Naito after a Naito cup win.

ssindelman

Post by ssindelman » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:37 pm

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/kenny- ... tour-event

Omega won't be at RoH on 3/12. Makes me think he'll be at the NJ Cup finals event instead to accept Michael Elgin's challenge for the IC title.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:57 pm

ssindelman wrote:http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/kenny- ... tour-event

Omega won't be at RoH on 3/12. Makes me think he'll be at the NJ Cup finals event instead to accept Michael Elgin's challenge for the IC title.
This is my new theory too. Makes a lot of sense to have Elgin challenge Omega to get revenge for his fallen teammate. Okada can do a random one-off title match against whoever and protect the Naito/Okada match for another, bigger date.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:33 pm

Elgin challenging Omega makes sense.

Except Naito seems to have stepped it up in this tournament, and it feels like maybe the time is right for him to challenge.

I'm loving the unpredictability of New Japan right now.

greenmanRD

Post by greenmanRD » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:06 pm

I'm not ruling out another Goto/Okada match for Invasion Attack. It feels like we're right at the breaking point for Goto and they have a build ready to go for another match. All these offers to join CHAOS from Okada and rejections from Goto don't really make a lot of sense unless they are doing another match soon imo.

aladdnzane

Post by aladdnzane » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:32 pm

greenmanRD wrote:I'm not ruling out another Goto/Okada match for Invasion Attack. It feels like we're right at the breaking point for Goto and they have a build ready to go for another match. All these offers to join CHAOS from Okada and rejections from Goto don't really make a lot of sense unless they are doing another match soon imo.
I didn't think this tournament was going that way but after NJ Cup Night 2 handshake thing with Okada trying again to recruit Goto I now think Goto will win NJ Cup, lose to Okada and snap and end up in Ingobernables. It just is beginning to feel too foreshadowed and it would then allow Naito to step into that Dominion match with Okada and hopefully win.

The problem being with this fantasy booking is there needs to be a strong 2nd from top match to really sell tickets because Goto v Okada again so soon isn't going to have tickets flying.

greenmanRD

Post by greenmanRD » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:37 pm

I can't act like I know a thing about drawing in Japan but someone here mentioned that Omega is a legitimate draw at the Korauken, maybe they'll just put him on the marquee and that pushes the numbers a little bit? I expect we'll see Tanahashi v. Fale as well.

GuestTimekeeper

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:00 am

I hate to break it to everyone, but obviously Yano is winning this thing and taking the title off Okada.

Though seriously, Naito beating Yano quickly, followed by a bruising Elgin vs Goto match that Goto barely wins again seems likely. Maybe Goto wins by countout.

Okada can't fight Goto again. He just can't. Are people interested in that? But no one has been set up for him at all as a potential challenger. I guess someone could get a win on the "Road to" shows. But frankly, Goto makes the most sense. I'd love Naito to win, but "give" the title shot to Goto, showing him even more disrespect.

When Goto feuded with Nakamura, there was a real sense that Nak didn't believe Goto belonged in the ring with him, that Goto wasn't on his level. Fighting Okada, it's more like Okada feels sympathy for him, and is trying to help him get out of his funk. If Okada's patronizing leads to a more intense Goto, the Goto that went toe to toe with Ishii and Elgin in the G1 last year, I could get interested in another Goto/Okada match. Except they sorta tried that at New Beginnings and that match fell flat with me.

More then likely, Naito wins the tournament, and Okada gets pinned by Kojima the first "Road to" show.

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:14 pm

Certainly Nakanishi is gonna pin Okada on the day of the Cup finals and we'll get Okada vs Nakanishi at Invasion Attack. Can't wait.