Ospreay joins NJPW

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
losingobernablesdejp

Ospreay joins NJPW

Post by losingobernablesdejp » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:09 am

Pretty crazy, but I'm glad it was NJPW and not WWE. Ospreay is like 22 so he's got a near endless ceiling right now. Now if they can just get Marty they're set. Oh Meltzer confirmed it on Twitter by the way. https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/stat ... 1887811584

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: Ospreay joins NJPW

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:22 am

Obviously this is great news no matter what, but I'd like to know what this means. Will he be full time?

He's a prodigy and a potential superstar. I think it's also pretty clear that people see NJPW as a gateway to WWE now.

The NJPW junior are loaded, just absolutely loaded. Now would be the time to do something substantial with the division, with obvious upper card spots available on shows. I'll believe it when I see it.

losingobernablesdejp

Post by losingobernablesdejp » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:24 am

He'll be at the next EVOLVE event so who knows, maybe WWE and NJPW will start working together after all...?

Edit: April in Dallas, so he'll be with NJPW until then? Probably head to the dojo next month?

losingobernablesdejp

Post by losingobernablesdejp » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:29 am

I don't know if they'll make him a young lion or not, he's got a pretty big name recognition, especially since NJPW has collaborated with RevPro for what, 3 years now?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:39 am

losingobernablesdejp wrote:I don't know if they'll make him a young lion or not, he's got a pretty big name recognition, especially since NJPW has collaborated with RevPro for what, 3 years now?
I seriously doubt he'll be a lion, even though he's younger and very arguably not as polished of a worker as White & Finlay.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:43 am

I knew this was his ambition. Not TNA.

Meltzer should have not dropped it as an aside on Twitter.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:49 am

http://www.f4wonline.com/tna-news/new-j ... ush-206611
Will Ospreay, the U.K.'s most talked about young wrestler debuted tonight with TNA, but ended up losing in 5:00 in what was either a dark match or a match taped for Xplosion against Mark "Mandrews" Andrews.

Apparently, the plan was to push Ospreay but TNA found out that he had signed with New Japan Pro Wrestling and decided not to put him on the main show.

It is not certain when Ospreay will debut with New Japan other than he had been scheduled to be in this year's Best of the Super Juniors tournament in May and June.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:34 pm

Meltzer revealed Will's start date while going in on Spud.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:41 pm

aka. Invasion Attack

That's weird, since that means he won't be on any of the Road to Invasion Attack tour leading into the show. That makes me wonder what kind of role he'll play at Invasion Attack, since i don't imagine they'll put him in anything important without the crowd knowing at least his finisher and a little about him.

So it'll probably be in the opening tag match. But that's fine too, if it's just to establish him before BOSJ.

wac

Post by wac » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:34 pm

So is this a full time deal?

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:02 pm

So jacked up for this. Just imagining all the possible match ups with KUSHIDA, Bushi, Kyle O'Reilly, Kamitachi when he returns.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:05 pm

*sobs* I'm so proud.

As for what the deal is, he's still taking UK bookings after April 10th but he does seem to be being phased out of title pictures and the like. I get the feeling (I haven't actually spoken to him that recently so this is all conjecture) that he'll continue to be working places like RPW and PROGRESS but obviously they're no longer going to be his priority so if there's a clash he's going to be over in Japan. As a result they've taken the PROGRESS belt off of him and shuffled him out of the RPW title picture after him being groomed for the belt over the last two plus years, not because he won't be there any more but because he probably won't be on every show anymore and they don't want to have their champion missing shows regularly. Seeing this all happen in conjunction with his first TNA bookings had me really worried (as the VoW Slack can attest) but I had my fears put to rest and now this news on top of the relief of him not killing his buzz by going to TNA has me overjoyed.

Again, the discussions I had didn't explicitly mention New Japan at any point so don't take this as news or anything, this is just conjecture, but I expect to see him in New Japan with a similar regularity to the Young Bucks' current New Japan schedule. I don't think he's going to be coming in as a young boy as New Japan World contains a match with him going toe-to-toe with the IWGP Champion Okada and they're apparently debuting him at Invasion Attack. Important people in New Japan really like Ospreay, he's been compared to Ibushi multiple times an that's high praise. Another thing to note is that he's 6'1" and only 22, so there's always the possibility that he could fill out at some point down the line and make the step up to heavyweight if he's still in New Japan at that point. I'm getting way ahead of myself though.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:08 pm

losingobernablesdejp wrote:He'll be at the next EVOLVE event so who knows, maybe WWE and NJPW will start working together after all...?

Edit: April in Dallas, so he'll be with NJPW until then? Probably head to the dojo next month?
I think you're overestimating the relationship between EVOLVE and WWE. EVOLVE uses everybody, them working with guys who work NJPW really doesn't mean New Japan is working with WWE. Hell, it's been happening already for a while, look at Roppongi Vice.

By that logic Roppongi Vice work with EVOLVE and ROH so maybe ROH and NXT are working together after all?

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:37 pm

So, I guess a year or two in New Japan before going to NXT? When you think about it, WWE has like 4-5 developmental systems right now.

wac

Post by wac » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:39 pm

Robareid wrote:
losingobernablesdejp wrote:He'll be at the next EVOLVE event so who knows, maybe WWE and NJPW will start working together after all...?

I think you're overestimating the relationship between EVOLVE and WWE. EVOLVE uses everybody, them working with guys who work NJPW really doesn't mean New Japan is working with WWE. Hell, it's been happening already for a while, look at Roppongi Vice.

By that logic Roppongi Vice work with EVOLVE and ROH so maybe ROH and NXT are working together after all?
Also Galloway and TJ Perkins have been working TNA and EVOLVE for a while.