NJPW/ROH Honor Rising:Japan 2016

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Re: NJPW/ROH Honor Rising:Japan 2016

Post by Robareid » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:36 pm

Frankie getting the KUSHIDA singles match is real disappointing. Both main events look great, especially Ishii-Strong, and reDRagon & Shibata vs. The Elite sounds fantastic.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:18 am

SamuraiTV aired a special on ROH.

Last edited by Morten VH on Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:21 am

suplexberry wrote:Cheeseburger not on these cards is a missed opportunity but oh well. Should be two fun Korakuen shows none the less.
Obviously it would just be a throwaway comedy match (says the guy with the Yano avatar) but I was really hoping for Cheeseburger vs. Captain New Japan.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:52 pm

My predictions for Honor Rising tomorrow and Saturday,

February 19
Dalton Castle and Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Jushin Thunder Liger and Matt Sydal
Delirious vs. Gedo
Frankie Kazarian vs. Kushida
Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Cody Hall, Tama Tonga and Yujiro Takahashi) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Michael Elgin, Moose and Tomoaki Honma
Bullet Club (Kenny Omega, Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson) vs. Bobby Fish, Katsuyori Shibata and Kyle O'Reilly (w/Shibata taking the fall)
Bullet Club (Doc Gallows and Karl Anderson) vs. The Briscoes (Jay Briscoe and Mark Briscoe)
Chaos (Kazuchika Okada and Yoshi-Hashi) vs. Jay Lethal and Tetsuya Naito
Roderick Strong (c) vs. Tomohiro Ishii (yep you read right) - Singles match for the ROH World Television Championship

February 20
David Finlay vs. Jay White
Delirious and Gedo vs. Jushin Thunder Liger and Matt Sydal
Dalton Castle vs. Frankie Kazarian
Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Doc Gallows, Karl Anderson and Tama Tonga) vs. Bobby Fish, Hirooki Goto, Katsuyori Shibata and Kyle O'Reilly
Los Ingobernables de Japón (Bushi and Tetsuya Naito) vs. Kushida and Moose
Chaos (Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii and Yoshi-Hashi) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Michael Elgin and Roderick Strong
Jay Briscoe, Mark Briscoe and Toru Yano (c) vs. Bullet Club (Kenny Omega, Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson) - Six-man tag team match for the NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championship
Jay Lethal (c) vs. Tomoaki Honma Singles match for the ROH World Championship

Can't wait for this and New Japan Cup

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:02 pm

We'll have our preview & predictions piece posted at some point today, in the meantime, let's see your guys' picks!

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:39 pm

OK might as well throw in my predictions....why not? :)

February 19
Dalton Castle and Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Jushin Thunder Liger and Matt Sydal (Sydal pins Taguchi)
Delirious vs. Gedo
Frankie Kazarian vs. Kushida
Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Cody Hall, Tama Tonga and Yujiro Takahashi) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Michael Elgin, Moose and Tomoaki Honma (Tanahashi pins Cody Hall)
Bullet Club (Kenny Omega, Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson) vs. Bobby Fish, Katsuyori Shibata and Kyle O'Reilly (Shibata pins Matt Jackson)
Bullet Club (Doc Gallows and Karl Anderson) vs. The Briscoes (Jay Briscoe and Mark Briscoe) (Jay pins Anderson)
Chaos (Kazuchika Okada and Yoshi-Hashi) vs. Jay Lethal and Tetsuya Naito (Lethal pins Tacos)
Roderick Strong (c) vs. Tomohiro Ishii - Singles match for the ROH World Television Championship

February 20
David Finlay vs. Jay White
Delirious and Gedo vs. Jushin Thunder Liger and Matt Sydal (Sydal pins Delirious)
Dalton Castle vs. Frankie Kazarian
Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Doc Gallows, Karl Anderson and Tama Tonga) vs. Bobby Fish, Hirooki Goto, Katsuyori Shibata and Kyle O'Reilly (Shibata pins Gallows)
Los Ingobernables de Japón (Bushi and Tetsuya Naito) vs. Kushida and Moose (Naito pins Moose)
Chaos (Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii and Yoshi-Hashi) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Michael Elgin and Roderick Strong (Elgin pins Tacos)
Jay Briscoe, Mark Briscoe and Toru Yano (c) vs. Bullet Club (Kenny Omega, Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson) - Six-man tag team match for the NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championship (Kenny pins Yano- they've already shown that these belts are going to be a hot potato)
Jay Lethal (c) vs. Tomoaki Honma Singles match for the ROH World Championship

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:01 pm

I thought Night 1 was pretty good. The undercard was, for the most part, solid, while nothing really stood which (which isn't surprising since most of the matches were tags). That being said, I thought Shibata/reDRagon vs. The Elite and Lethal/Naito vs. Okada/Yoshi-Hashi stood out the most, with regard to the undercard. The Main Event was GREAT!! Not quite MOTY levels, but definitely in the Match of the Month conversation. I was really shocked by the result of the Main Event, with Ishii winning the World TV Title. If these tweets are a sign of things to come, then we're in for a wild ride:

sternness

Post by sternness » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:55 pm

Ishii/Strong was good, I didn't enjoy the rest of the show that much.

wac

Post by wac » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:58 pm

Gedo's English banter is a top 5 thing in wrestling

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:36 pm

Ishii/ Strong was enjoyable, the crowd only seemed to get into it for the last few near falls (which is to be expected when they don't know Strong) but with a bit more heat it could have been really excellent. The most shocking thing to me was not the change but that Ishii never stiffed Strong after he lost him on that back drop spot, I spent the rest of the match expecting Strong to get utterly killed and it never really came.

Watching Shibata do a Young Bucks match is so funny. Shibata as the complete antithesis of The Young Bucks in terms of style and character just makes it watchable before they've even done anything, so I enjoyed that match a lot too, I was a bit surprised O'Reilly took the fall though and it's a shame he's not featured more prominently on these cards (although both his matches will be fun) He only get's the chance to do singles matches during BOSJ for New Japan so why not give him a go on a different sort of card to get over (especially if New Japan have designs on that in the long run, which I hope they do)?

Also, I really love the Ishii decision. It will probably get a few more eyeballs on the show (both Japanese and American), it might make Ishii and Goto more inclined to have a great match with whatever they're given next week, it builds a bit of a cross promotional story which I like a lot AND if he's going to hold it for any period of time it gives Ishii an excuse to have singles matches on the B show undercards when they go with the split card gimmick (Have World, HW Tag, ROHTV and Junior on one card, IC, Never, Junior Tag and 3 man on the other) I predict Elgin is the one who takes it from him anyway (assuming they aren't going to hot potato it back to Roddy at the tapings)

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:50 pm

I'm starting to wonder if the 14th Anniversary card is going to change and we get Fish Vs. Ishii and Strong Vs. Goto or Strong Vs. Ishii 2 and Goto Vs. Fish? I guess they could just make Goto Vs. Ishii for the title but I dunno it's going to be interesting going into tommorow's show and 14th anniversary if they will change anything.

Rob McCarron
VOW Staff Member

Post by Rob McCarron » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:22 pm

I could see them taping Ishii stuff for TV throughout March/April, culminating with Strong vs Ishii 2 happening at the Chicago PPV, also.

Wouldn't be shocked if Ishii is ROH TV Champ into May.
Shake Them Ropes
iTunes | Stitcher | Twitter |YouTube

wac

Post by wac » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:47 pm

Looking at the cards beforehand, I figured Ishii would win the TV title since Honma is obviously losing and it makes sense to split which side goes over in the main event, and since Ishii is scheduled with Goto on the ROH PPV they'd have him drop the belt back on the TV taping the day after the PPV. I guess they could keep it on him until the Chicago Global Wars show, but I'm not sure I like the idea. I think the secondary champion should be on one of the Supercard of Honor shows.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:50 pm

Did anyone else feel like the crowd took away something from the main event? I just felt bad for the Japanese audience, who got completely yelled over every time they tried to get an Ishii chant going. It's like they didn't even care by the end of the match.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:26 am

Random thought-

That KUSHIDA vs Kazarian match might not have been so random a match after all- if we all think a bit deeper about it.....

Because the match-up was a battle of the 'Back To The Future' fans ! :D

Everyone knows that KUSHIDA's gimmick, is that he is a Back To The Future fanboy but also several of Kazarian's moves have Back To The Future references- such as Flux Capacitor. In fact that Electric Chair Drop he uses, he doesn't even try to be subtle at all- calling that move Back To The Future!