NJPW G1 Climax 25 (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
TCMitchell
VOW Staff Member

Re: NJPW G1 Climax 25 (Discussion)

Post by TCMitchell » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:28 am

G1 Climax 25: Night 3

Satoshi Kojima/Jushin Liger/ Tiger Mask/ Yohei Komatsu def. Michael Elgin/ Mascara Dorada/ David Finlay/ Jay White - 8:24 - ***
-Michael Elgin is continuing to knock it out of the park in this tournament. Elgin is winning over these crowds faster than most gaijin's are able to.

Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI def. Yujiro Takahashi & Cody Hall - 10:55 - ***1/2
-This match was a lot of fun to watch. Ishii and YOSHI-HASHI carried the match with their talents, but Cody Hall really shined here and continues to show improvements every time he steps into the ring.

Karl Anderson & Tama Tonga def. Hirooki Goto & Captain New Japan - 6:19 - **
-Not much to say here. This match was "eh."

Tomoaki Honma/ Yuji Nagata/ Ryusuke Taguchi def. Kazuchika Okada/ Shinsuke Nakamura/ Gedo - 13:52 - ***
-This was a fun match. Okada and Nakamura were all too obviously taking the night off. I understand these guys need to take it easy on these off-block nights to rest up, but give us a little something!

Kota Ibushi def. Doc Gallows - 8:35 - ***1/2
-Ibushi pulls a better-than-usual performance out of Gallows. Ibushi continues his stellar tournament performance while Gallows continues to impress me. (Disclaimer: I had basement level expectations for Gallows entering this G1)

Bad Luck Fale def. Togi Makabe - 8:03 - *1/4
-Fale might as well start wearing sun glasses, because he looks just like a tall Mr. Hughes. Makabe stinks. Makabe should be banned from ever doing the corner ten punch spot ever again. It literally looked like he was itching Fale's head with his knuckles. Miserably awful.

AJ Styles def. Toru Yano - 10:14 - ***3/4
-You will be hard pressed to find two guys that are more in tune with their in-ring personas then these two. And those personas are vastly different, but meshed here like mustard on a good brat. Yano was entertaining with his antics while AJ was great as he was getting more frustrated with Yano by the minute.

Katsuyori Shibata def. Tetsuya Naito - 12:09 - ****1/2
-This match was like if Ferris Bueller was wrestling Cameron Frye after Cameron turns into a raging mad man. Shibata was just so pissed off at Naito's lackadaisical attitude he was just kicking his teeth in until he dropped the Bueller act and took life/this G1 tournament seriously. I loved how Naito started off the match Low Ki style circa Wrestle Kingdom 7 wearing his suit. When we last saw Naito enter in his suit/skull mask he was still wearing his white boots with signature fringe on them. Tonight he was just wearing plain back boots. Whether its intentional or unintentional, Naito's slow evolution into this heel character with little touches like this is what makes it so fun to watch. These two beat the crap out of each other and this was easily my match of the night. The second best G1 match this year behind Ibushi/Tanahashi.

Hiroshi Tanahashi def. Hiroyoshi Tenzan - 15:13 - ***
-I was fully hoping that Tanahashi could carry the workload in this match while hiding Tenzan's weakness in his old age. Instead Tanahashi made the rare performance where he worked down to his opponents level. The first twelve minutes of this match were spent with Tanahashi slowing down his pace to meet Tenzan in the middle. Tanahashi is a great worker that can no doubt carry a match, but this match was not a showcase of those talents. The finishing stretch made this match just above mediocre.

Overall thoughts:
This was a fun show to watch. Top to bottom this was my favorite G1 show of the three so far. The undercard had three matches that delivered. Three of the five G1 matches were fun watches with the Shibata/Naito match being the standout.

cherrylimeaid

Post by cherrylimeaid » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:20 am

This seems the best place to post this, even though the best stuff I've seen comes before this tournament so far. But are there any brief video clips showing Naito's could care less gimmick? Wanted to share with a friend how he is pulling this off and a simple youtube search hasn't wound up going so good.

benjaminkicks

Post by benjaminkicks » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:25 am

I'm hyped for Nagata/Nakamura. I loved their match in February more than pretty much anyone else.

Goat

Post by Goat » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:26 am

Tenzan is too injured to be in this tournament. That said that is about as good a match as can be reasonably expected when one guy cannot move. Even the blow up doll in DDT can move.

jesse

Post by jesse » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:13 am

LuckyLuuk wrote:Naito vs Shibata was extremely disappointing in my opinion. I really don't see what the hype is all about. This was over when it just started getting good. I liked the subtleties like Shibata only using his good leg for the corner dropkick. But that's all there is to it to be honest. The ending came out of nowhere. And allow me to take a second to just say that I hate this new Naito. Can't get into his matches whatsoever, very off-putting performances since his heel turn. God. I want the old Naito back, which is probably what they want me to feel but God am I pissed about this.
Think of it like this: Naito is showing that he doesn't care about anyone or anything. Naito didn't take Shibata seriously enough. Shibata wasn't going to put up with Naito disrespecting him like that. You also have the added in drama about how in some ways Naito's new persona is how Shibata was when he came back to New Japan. This match is a reversal of roles. Naito's the disrespectful heel and now Shibata's the babyface who won't put up with him. The crowd was literally chanting for Shibata to choke the life out of Naito. That's a pretty massive difference in opinion of a guy who came back to pick a fight at the 2012 G1.

If Naito was really on his game he could have beaten a hurt Shibata but he wasn't. He was too lackadaisical and despite his arm and leg Shibata beat him. That's why this match was so great. It presented the new roles of Naito and Shibata fantastically.

I know some people don't like Naito still using his old moves but I think it's amazing. He'll go from slouching around the ring to zooming and hitting dropckicks and stuff in seconds. Just think that's a really cool touch and that shows that while Naito don't give a fuck he's still more than capable of out wrestling guys.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:08 am

Yeah I love Naito's bursts of offense after he is just lazily moving around. Like Jesse said, it shows he really doesn't care, but if he wants to can run circles around these guys. While I didn't think Shibata/Naito was great, I think it was very good and I enjoyed it more than Shibata/Styles. Honestly, I really would like to see Naito win the A Block just because of how much this new attitude has won me over. I've always enjoyed Naito in the ring, but man he's gotten so much more interesting since his return.

JoshEngleman
VOW Staff Member

Post by JoshEngleman » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:47 am

Night 4 Ratings

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Yujiro Takahashi ***
-> All things considered, this wasn't bad. It's possible that Yujiro is the least over person on the entire roster. The crowd just doesn't care about anything he does. I actually bit at a false finish, so kudos to them. This felt a bit longer than the previous openers.

Satoshi Kojima vs. Michael Elgin ***1/4
-> I was hoping this would be sneaky awesome, but it never really got to the next level. Elgin has some of the worst forearm strikes I've ever seen. It felt like this got less time than the first match, unfortunately.

Hirooki Goto vs. Karl Anderson ***1/4
-> Karl Anderson looked really good. He is so underutilized as a tag wrestler. Very solid match.

Yuji Nagata vs. Shinsuke Nakamura ****
-> Nagata was amazing. He had a crazy energy for this. I was truly afraid he broke Nakamura's neck at one point. Awesome match. Better than their IC Title match. Second best in the tournament so far, in my opinion.

Tomoaki Honma vs. Kazuchika Okada ****/b]
-> So much fun. The last five minutes was super. I don't think there's a wrestler in the world more entertaining to watch than Tomoaki Honma.

By far the best night of the tournament to date.

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:51 pm

First night I've been able to watch live and thoroughly enjoyed it, probably the best show thus far in terms of all G1 matches being well worth a watch, although still nothing as good as the Ibushi/ Tana match. For what it's worth:
Ishii vs Yujiro ***
Kojima vs Elgin ***1/2
Goto vs Anderson ***1/4
Nagata vs Nakamura ****
Okada vs Honma ***3/4

I was a bit unnerved by Nagata's bumping (And, at points, moving) in his match however, he looked very hesitant on a few of them. Nak obviously has one or two moves that require unusual bumps so it may have just been that, we shall see!

LuckyLuuk

Post by LuckyLuuk » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:07 pm

G1 Climax 25 - Day 4

Undercard
I thought the undercard was OK. No bad match but also no good match. Nothing of high value except possibly the Styles/Ibushi sequences.
**, **, **1/2 and **3/4 for the respective matches.

Tournament matches

Tomohiro Ishii vs Yujiro Takahashi
This was really good, better than Ishii's match with Kojima in my opinion. It wasn't as great as their two matches last year but it was definitely entertaining. ***1/4

Satoshi Kojima vs Michael Elgin
Very good match, coin toss between this and the Main-Event for MOTN. I loved these two in this match. Elgin is having a great G1 so far and I hope he can become a regular for New Japan with performances like these. Loved the dynamic here. ***3/4

Karl Anderson vs Hirooki Goto
Another really good match from these two as could be expected. However, as is the case with almost all of the matches on this show, it was over when it was starting to hit the next level. Liked the counters near the end and the finish was very creative and came out of nowhere for me. ***1/4

(side note: Anderson now has victories over Goto and Nakamura. I bet we will get rematches of those matches for the IC title and the #1 contender spot respectively at the PPV's after G1. I hope those matches will be better, tho)

Shinsuke Nakamura vs Yuji Nagata
I actually liked their New Beginning match better, it was more dramatic near the end. Still my favourite match between these two that I have seen was their G1 match last year. This was in any case a very good match. I love the Bom A Ye finishing move as it presents so many counters and can be performed in multiple ways. Last couple of minutes were fun. ***1/2

Kazuchika Okada vs Tomoaki Honma
God this was disappointing. I expected so much more of this. Way too short in my opinion. They did the fun counters of their respective signature and finishing moves and that was all very exciting, but it never hit that 'great' level which I have been wanting to see since Ibushi vs Tanahashi. As I said before, probably MOTN but underwhelming if I take into account my expectations. ***3/4

Final verdict
I'd say this is the best G1 show so far. The tournament matches were all a lot of fun and the undercard was OK. Plus, and this is kinda neat, I liked the fixed camera shot this time around. Or at least, I didn't mind. I hated it in Day 2 but I guess that's because of the rather boring crowd. The crowd here was fun and I had a good time watching it. Wouldn't really recommend this show or any match per se, but still really enjoyable.
7.75/10

----

Is anyone else disappointed by the tournament so far? Almost all matches have been underwhelming as we have usually seen better matches between the two wrestlers in a match. Maybe I'm just spoiled by last year.
Last edited by LuckyLuuk on Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LuckyLuuk

Post by LuckyLuuk » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:11 pm

jesse wrote:
LuckyLuuk wrote:Naito vs Shibata was extremely disappointing in my opinion. I really don't see what the hype is all about. This was over when it just started getting good. I liked the subtleties like Shibata only using his good leg for the corner dropkick. But that's all there is to it to be honest. The ending came out of nowhere. And allow me to take a second to just say that I hate this new Naito. Can't get into his matches whatsoever, very off-putting performances since his heel turn. God. I want the old Naito back, which is probably what they want me to feel but God am I pissed about this.
Think of it like this: Naito is showing that he doesn't care about anyone or anything. Naito didn't take Shibata seriously enough. Shibata wasn't going to put up with Naito disrespecting him like that. You also have the added in drama about how in some ways Naito's new persona is how Shibata was when he came back to New Japan. This match is a reversal of roles. Naito's the disrespectful heel and now Shibata's the babyface who won't put up with him. The crowd was literally chanting for Shibata to choke the life out of Naito. That's a pretty massive difference in opinion of a guy who came back to pick a fight at the 2012 G1.

If Naito was really on his game he could have beaten a hurt Shibata but he wasn't. He was too lackadaisical and despite his arm and leg Shibata beat him. That's why this match was so great. It presented the new roles of Naito and Shibata fantastically.

I know some people don't like Naito still using his old moves but I think it's amazing. He'll go from slouching around the ring to zooming and hitting dropckicks and stuff in seconds. Just think that's a really cool touch and that shows that while Naito don't give a fuck he's still more than capable of out wrestling guys.
I understand where you're coming from. Hand't seen it like that before. The thing is, it might have presented their new roles fantastically, I simply don't like Naito's new role. I think presenting an unmotivated Naito is not something you want to do in a tournament with such high stakes. Diminishes the importance of the match and Naito's participation in the tournament. Every victory earned by Naito comes off as weird and out of place while if Naito loses it's like: "yeah well he didn't put much effort in, did he?" I am fine with Naito as a heel, don't get me wrong, I just don't like his character like this.

pclancy1990

Post by pclancy1990 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:23 pm

These single cam shows are tough to sit through so early in the morning. Have to save Honma/Okada for later as i was literally dozing off during Nagata/Nakamura.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:24 pm

By far the best night of the G1 so far. The tournament matches were all very good (including Yujiro not ruining everything) and they built to a nice climax with Okada and Honma. Very well laid out second half. After a bit of a lacklustre start, really looks like this tournament is heating up.

I'm impressed with Elgin so far. He seems to fit much better in NJ than in ROH, or maybe it's just being in front of crowspds not shitting on him. Watching he and Honma trade suplex reps will be fun.

Kojima and Nagata continue to show how wasted they are the rest of the year. Worst case Ontario, team them up and let them have a cranky vet tag run. At least do something with them,mparticularly Kojima who looks like he has one more top run in him.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:05 pm

I don't do snow flakes, but 4 days in, I'd list matches out thusly:

Really good

Kazuchika Okada vs. Tomoaki Honma
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Yuji Nagata
AJ Styles vs. Katsuyori Shibata
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kota Ibushi
Satoshi Kojima vs. Tomohiro Ishii
Tetsuya Naito vs Katsuyori Shibata

Good

Tetsuya Naito vs. Bad Luck Fale
Yuji Nagata vs. Tomoaki Honma
Kazuchika Okada vs. Michael Elgin
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Karl Anderson
Kota Ibushi vs. Doc Gallows
AJ Styles vs. Toru Yano
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan
Tomohiro Ishii vs. Yujiro Takahashi
Hirooki Goto vs. Karl Anderson
Satoshi Kojima vs. Michael Elgin

Bland

Togi Makabe vs. Toru Yano
Togi Makabe vs. Bad Luck Fale

Bad

Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Doc Gallows
Hirooki Goto vs. Yujiro Takahashi

sivapc

Post by sivapc » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:26 pm

All good matches today but nothing extraordinary. I leave the star ratings to VOW, but here's my rankings

1. Nagata/Nakamura - started very slow, reminiscent of their Sendai ME, but picked in the end.
2. Honma/Okada - This was a bit underwhelming considering humongous expectations. But still good
3. Anderson/Goto - They always an inexplicable super chemistry together, but this was just short of greatness. Finish was super slick and just a reminder of Karl's capability in singles matches
4. Yujiro/Ishii - Started slow but very believable nearfalls
5. Elgin/Kojima - This was good. Kojima like Okada on day 2, gave a lot for Elgin and crowd reacted well to his big moves.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:04 pm

Yujiro's stripper