NJPW G1 Climax 25 (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
DETROIT_KEJB

Re: NJPW G1 Climax 25 (Discussion)

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:34 pm

Hometown. G1 Climax. Main Event. Tanahashi.

There really isn't any better ingredient for Tenzan to show what he has left. I think if he had any gas left in the tank, he would have used it here. This match is the best Tenzan can possibly be in 2015. The match showed, beyond any doubt, that Tenzan is done as a G1 level singles wrestler. This needs to be his last G1.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:07 pm

Tenzan was so done in the end, that he couldn't even hit the ropes correctly anymore.

He looked completely wasted. But he did also give it his all. And it was also a good match. But yes, if this is his very best, then he doesn't belong there anymore.

jesse

Post by jesse » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:03 pm

Shibata and Naito was by far the match of the G1 so far and one of the best matches this year. I'm sad a lot of the details get lost on people because phew boy was that match insanely good.

And I'm not sure how you can say Tenzan doesn't belong there anymore when that crowd was pretty hyped up for him. Sure it was his hometown but Tenzan is over like rover. That's why he's still in the G1. You might care about 5 star matches but a lot of the fans that go to these shows could give a shit about that. I think there's a huge disconnect with fans outside of Japan on this point.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:16 pm

I din't see any of the undercard today, so I can't say that today's show was better than day 1, but the G1 matches were definitely as good as those from day 1, if not better overall. I really enjoyed Shibata/Naito. Naito played his part very well and is already finding a nice balance between nonchalant heel who doesn't really care, and asshole with a mean streak. I also thought Shibata was great in this. Two matches in and he's already having a great tournament.

I enjoyed the main event a lot more than I thought I would, although I think that's large part due to how hot the crowd were for the match. Tenzan tried but really doesn't seem to be moving very well at all. I wouldn't be surprised if that match was the hardest he'll work for the rest of the tournament.

chris1099

Post by chris1099 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:20 pm

Shibata vs. Naito was probably the the best match so far. The crowd was hot and Naito did his character well. I had it at **** 1/2. Also i'm new here so hi. :D I am also new to puro son don't judge. lol

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:10 pm

chris1099 wrote:Shibata vs. Naito was probably the the best match so far. The crowd was hot and Naito did his character well. I had it at **** 1/2. Also i'm new here so hi. :D I am also new to puro son don't judge. lol
Welcome chris! We're a nice bunch here so don't worry, we're here to help, not hate. :D

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:37 pm

Shibata has such a well built in story into all his matches with the arm. But I really dug how Naito kept targeting the same leg that AJ worked over on day 1.

On the topic of AJ. Him vs Yano was way more fun than it should have been.

JonnyBart

Post by JonnyBart » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:51 pm

Gallows/Ibushi is sneaky good.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:52 pm

This is a really good card for tomorrow mornings show.

Okada and Honma will tear the building down. Especially Honma who is in a very rare main event spot. Nagata and Nakamura got 4,5 stars last year, and so did Ishii and Yujiro. Goto and Anderson has a great build up, in that they're former tag partners. Lastly i think Kojima is a perfect opponent for Elgin, and can get the best out of him.

This is one of the best B block cards of the tournament in my opinion!

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:13 pm

It fits in perfectly for Naito's current persona. He was too lazy to work his own limb, so just piggybacked off of AJ's previous work.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:22 pm

Going to throw in my 200 Yen's worth over the last two nights of G-1 matches.....

Day 2- Shizuoka (B-Block)

Kojima vs Ishii- This match delivered exactly the kind of slugfest you would have expected out of these two, but never once did it feel like they were going to go to that next level and put on a great match. In all honesty, I'm cooling off on Ishii in 2015- as his matches are becoming very predictable, and he's also lost some of that underdog lustre that made him so easy to root for two years ago. I also feel that Ishii's best work comes against finesse wrestlers such as Tanahashi, Ibushi or Naito- dragging them into knock down , drag out wars- rather than with fellow sluggers such as a Makabe or a Kojima.

Goto vs Yujiro- Yujiro could come to the ring, surrounded by an entire harem of scantily clad ladies, and it still wouldn't make him any more interesting. Yujiro had way too much of his plodding WWE Attitude era offence in this match, which also completely telegraphed the fact that Goto would end up making the rapid end of match comeback and win the day. A completely skippable and mediocre match- but what does anyone else expect when Yujiro's in the ring?

Nagata vs Honma- I know there is a lot of love for Honma, but I'm starting to tire of the formula. The fact that he keep's going for the Kokeshi and failing, makes him look stupid, rather than brave in my opinion. I still liked the match, and I'll give it that Honma always gives his all and is over as a loveable plucky underdog, I'm just no longer in love with the Honma 'ultimate underdog' narrative.

Okada vs Elgin- This was a really good match and Okada did a fine job of putting Elgin over (albeit in a losing effort for the newly arrived gaijin). I really liked the structure of the match, with Elgin having Okada well scouted, making it feel like the IWGP Heavyweight champ had to really struggle to gain the victory against the newcomer. Elgin does have that whiff of trying too hard about him (coming across as the Pro Wrestler equivalent of a Wapanese anime fan) but he looked good here and the signs are promising that he can have a good showing throughout the whole tournament.

Nakamura vs Anderson- Seems like I liked this more than most people, I came away thinking that was a pretty good match after it was over, but then read some reviews, who were underwhelmed by the main event. Not saying it was MOTYC quality or anywhere near that, but I enjoyed the match and felt that Anderson did a good job of reminding everyone that he's a pretty decent wrestler, when he's not being wasted in Sports Entertainment tag matches. The Shizuoka crowd didn't help by being that cliche of a 'quiet Japanese crowd', but I still managed to get into the contest inspite of the lacklustre audience.

May I also add, that I picked Anderson to win here, in my predictions. Not necessarily because I felt Anderson would have the beating of Nakamura, but because Nakamura is such a hot favourite with near enough everyone to win the whole thing, that I felt J&G would want to immediately cast doubts in people's minds by handing 'the king of strong style' a slow start.

Day 3- Kyoto (A-Block)

Ibushi vs Gallows- I still think Gallows is utter wank, but credit where credit is due here, Ibushi actually managed to drag a decent match out of him, inspite of a clunky finish.

I actually tipped Gallows to win his first two matches, as I thought he was prime candidate for the hot-start before falling away. Oh well the fact he has lost his first two matches, hasn't exactly disappointed me- hopefully they continue to job him all the way to 0 and 9, ZERO points- But that's probably wishful thinking on my part.

Makabe vs Fale- I think my mind was wondering off elsewhere when this match was on-whatever it was I was thinking about it, it was more interesting than this boring plodding brawl of a match.

Yano vs Styles- What Bryan Rose, said in his review of his match, is exactly how I felt about this contest. As Bryan pretty much said, no one's going to be talking about it as a MOTYC or anything near to that, but it was just a really fun match that did a good job of showcasing what each competitor is able to bring to the G-1 Climax table.

Shibata vs Naito- Not surprised to hear Naito, get molten levels of heel heat from the Kyoto crowd, seeing as it's in the Kansai region and pretty close to Osaka- where Naito always gets booed, even before the 'heel turn'.

And lets be honest here, Naito has pretty much completely turned and he's all the better for it, as he did a great job of getting across his new persona and working a noticeably more aggressive in ring style. All in all this match was fantastic, right from the start where Shibata didn't give Naito anytime to nonchantly take his suit and Dr Doom style mask off.

Tanahashi vs Tenzan- Tenzan it has to be said, does look past his best but what you have to remember is that the Japanese fans (the one's that actually pay to go to the shows), still love him- he's no longer there to have great matches, he's there to be a 'legend' and until he's Nakanishi levels of broken down and feels as though he's no longer capable of competing at this level, he'll probably keep getting invited back. Saying all that, I got a kind of vibe from him during his rambling and emotional press conference speech, that this might be his last shot and the G-1. Would love to see a translation of what was actually said.

Anyway as for the match, it wasn't a fantastic main event but it was decent, thanks to a hot crowd that was fully behind Tenzan every step of the way, and Tanahashi being Tanahashi and doing a wonderful job of being a ring general and having that knack of knowing when to go subtle heel, despite being a beloved babyface himself.
Last edited by Tigerkinney on Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:35 pm

JonnyBart wrote:Gallows/Ibushi is sneaky good.
Great, great fun. How long has the sun tan biker man been coming out with that rope? I'm feeling the juggalo Stan Hansen feel.

LuckyLuuk

Post by LuckyLuuk » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:00 am

Alright, so here are my two cents on Day 3:

The undercard was the best one so far of the tournament. I thought all matches were entertaining.
Really pleasantly surprised by the Hall/YOSHI-HASHI final stretch of their match. They went from a decent to good match with just the two of them.
The six-man was the best one of the undercard, I really really really liked it. I thought the action was very entertaining and they did a very good job building up the matches of the next show. Can't wait for Honma vs Okada man.

Alright, so then the tourney matches.

Ibushi vs Gallows was alright. I see people praise it, calling it Gallows' best match and whatnot, but honestly I don't see it. That doesn't mean I didn't like it, because I did. At the end of the day it was just fine for me

I really didn't like Fale vs Makabe. Uninspired and uncreative. Just a number of clotheslines and elbows and that's it. Never got into this and wanted it to be over with. Worst tournament match so far.

Yano vs Styles was very entertaining, probably one of Yano's best matches I have seen. I thought it actually built towards quite some drama near the end with the calf killer, I was on the edge of my seat for that ending. Really creative match.

Naito vs Shibata was extremely disappointing in my opinion. I really don't see what the hype is all about. This was over when it just started getting good. I liked the subtleties like Shibata only using his good leg for the corner dropkick. But that's all there is to it to be honest. The ending came out of nowhere. And allow me to take a second to just say that I hate this new Naito. Can't get into his matches whatsoever, very off-putting performances since his heel turn. God. I want the old Naito back, which is probably what they want me to feel but God am I pissed about this.

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan was borderline great, MOTN. It's been said here before that this was probably the best you can do with Tenzan this year, and I agree. The guy didn't look too well but I really appreciate his effort here and he managed to tell a very good story with Tanahashi who worked his ass off for him. Probably at about the level I expected it to reach.

Overall probably the most consistent show of the G1 so far, I liked it as much as the first day. The crowd was great after that dull one on day two.

Ratings for those of you who are interested:
Michael Elgin, Jay White, David Finlay Jr. & Máscara Dorada vs Tiger Mask, Jushin Liger, Satoshi Kojima & Yohei Komatsu **3/4
Yujiro Takahashi & Cody Hall vs Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI ***
Hirooki Goto & Captain New Japan vs Karl Anderson & Tama Tonga **1/2
Tomoaki Honma, Yuji Nagata & Ryusuke Taguchi vs Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada & Gedo ***1/2
Kota Ibushi vs Doc Gallows **1/4
Togi Makabe vs Bad Luck Fale *1/2
Toru Yano vs AJ Styles ***1/4
Tetsuya Naito vs Katsuyori Shibata ***1/4
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan ***3/4
Overall score: 7.25/10

LuckyLuuk

Post by LuckyLuuk » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:11 am

I won't accept anything less than very good matches on Day 4's tournament matches.

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:58 am

I really liked Tanahashi/Tenzan. I'm a sucker for "veteran getting his last shot/last run" type storylines, and this may be Tenzan's last G1 so him in the main event vs Tanahashi was really fun. Got behind him, crowd was great also.