NJPW G1 Climax 25 (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
jesse

Re: Full 2015 G1 Schedule

Post by jesse » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:21 am

br26 wrote:I did my spreadsheet today. AND....I had Ibushi going over Nakamura in the finals.

would play into their match from January.

The only problem with this is that Kota won the New Japan Cup. Pretty sure since Gedo's started booking the same guy hasn't won both the NJC and the G1. I still think Ibushi's going to get the IC title before the IWGP HW belt. His New Japan contract ends in October (I'm sure he'll sign again!!!) and he's going to have one year left on the 3 year deal he signed with DDT. I'd be looking more at WK11 for Ibushi as HW champ but you never know with Gedo. :lol:
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:25 am

First time poster here-

Read this site/forums for a while now, but never felt 'brave' enough to post. That's because I like my pro wrestling, but will admit that I am not obsessively into it, as a lot of guys here- so I was a little worried about feeling 'out of my depth'.

Anyway I do follow NJPW pretty closely (have a subscription to NJPW World, and always watch the major shows and occasionally the 'Road To' events if I have time). I've also attended a couple of shows live, whilst in holiday in Japan. One was a 'Road To' event in Osaka in 2012 and the other was Dontaku in Fukuoka last year, where A.J Styles won the IWGP Heavyweight belt for the first time and the crowd in attendance literally didn't know how to react.

As far as the G-1 goes, I've got Ibushi, Tanahashi and Styles all in with a chance of winning A-Block, going into the final show. Ibushi needs to win, and hopes that Styles/Tanahashi end up drawing their block decider showdown in the final match. Ibushi blows his chance of winning the block, when he loses to Makabe, but will finish runner up due to head to head wins over both Styles and Tanahashi. Styles then beats Tanahashi to go to the G-1 Climax finals.

Goto, Okada and Nakamura will all be on 12 points coming into the final day, but only Nakamura or Okada can win the block. Nakamura beats Okada to go the finals, and despite losing to Yuji Nagata on the final day- Goto finishes runner up due to a head to head win over Okada earlier in the tournament.

I then predict that Nakamura will beat Styles to win the G-1 Climax and claim his spot in the main event at Wrestle Kingdom 10, and that Ibushi will beat Goto in a non-title runners up match, to put himself in line for a shot at Goto's Intercontinental belt.

My predicted losses for the respective champions during the G-1 Climax are:

Okada (IWGP Heavy) - Kojima, Goto and Nakamura

Goto (IWGP Intercontinental)- Karl Anderson, Shinsuke Nakamura, Yuji Nagata, Kota Ibushi (non tournament)

Makabe (NEVER)- Toru Yano, Bad Luck Fale, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, A.J Styles, Hiroshi Tanahashi

More than likely though, I will be no where near with these predictions, and we will end up with a Doc Gallows vs Yujiro G1 Climax final :lol:

greenmanRD

Post by greenmanRD » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:49 pm

I still see Naito as a legit contender for Block A, and wouldn't be at all surprised if he wins Block A.

JML

Post by JML » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:13 pm

Max Traction wrote:Quick question: what happens if the IWGP champion wins G1? Has this ever happened before?
In this era of New Japan, nope but Muta and Kensuke Sasaki have won it during their title reigns.

I doubt Gedo and Jado would do that with Okada cause they have emphasized that the winner gets the Dome Show Main Event where as when Choshu was booking it, it was assumed that would happen but not all the time.

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:07 pm

If I were an odds maker I'd have Nakamura & Tanahashi as the heavy favorites (personally I think Tanahashi will win, especially since they made the Nakamura/Okada match for the final day) and there are 3 Dark Horses that would be surprising but wouldn't be totally unthinkable. Anyone else other than those 5 represent a significant shift in booking of where the company's going.

Goto would be my unofficial #3 since they've really pushed this "unify the titles" angle and he's actually the guy with the most momentum coming in. To me though they can accomplish this feat by beating Okada which I think most everyone thinks will happen and just having them face off down the road. This scenario only really works if their mindset is "Screw it, 5 years later than we should have but hey, Goto's our next star and 2016 is his year as a top guy and he's going to get the titles" or the second both hilarious and sad option is for him to win the G1 and then be the first to lose his WK title shot which to me would just be horrible.

Ibushi's about the same as him, and we all know his story. But it just feels a little bit early for him...then again many thought it was early for him to win the NJC. But since it is so early and he did win the NJC his odds are pretty low.

Styles I think if they believe in him as a draw and think he's got big upside and think the Styles/Okada feud and likely AJ's break off from the Bullet Club are big enough for the Dome, and want to keep him super strong despite dropping the title...I don't think that's all impossible. But it is pretty unlikely. It just doesn't feel like his time.

Basically in percentages I would say:
Tanahashi/Nakamura: 45%
Goto/Ibushi: 4%
Styles: 2%
Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:20 pm

greenmanRD wrote:I still see Naito as a legit contender for Block A, and wouldn't be at all surprised if he wins Block A.
I've got him being runner up or maybe third in the block. The way the last night is set up, in my opinion, indicates he will be in it right to the end.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:25 pm

I have him 4th in the block, but being a factor right up to the end, and getting some big wins along the way, but coming up short against Tanahashi, Ibushi and Styles. Losing to Ibushi should be the last straw in the heel turn, and I have him going undefeated after that.

greenmanRD

Post by greenmanRD » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:06 pm

I have Naito getting his win back against Ibushi and getting the leg up on Styles in their rubber match, only one I didn't have him beating was Tanahashi.

Goat

Post by Goat » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:36 pm

Is there anything on NJPW World indicating when the big annual G1 Press Conference is?

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:12 am

I am STOKED for Shibata vs Tenzan. Shibata beating up old men is one of the best things in the business, and I've got unreasonable expectations for Tenzan's G1.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:38 pm

I got Block A coming down to Tanahashi and Ibushi on the final day, with AJ also still on contention. Tana & AJ with 10 and Ibushi with 8 going into it. Ibushi got the win over Tanahashi on the opening night and also got the win over AJ. So AJ can only win the block if Ibushi loses to Makabe and he defeats Tanahashi. Ibushi defeat Makabe, and therefore wins his block, if AJ defeats Tanahashi in the main event. Assuming Tana/AJ main events, Ibushi will have won his match and AJ can only fight for Tana not going to the final, because he got eliminated in the match prior to his. This destroys his motivation, and is the excuse for him losing to Tana who goes alone 12 points in the lead and wins the block.

For block b i have Nakamura with 14 points. That way when he loses to Tanahashi in the final, he can say he scored more points during the blocks. I got both Okada and Goto at 12 points, because both champions should be equal.

I got Goto going over both Okada and Nakamura during the tournament. However i'm torn because maybe they think Nakamura should get his win back, after losing twice to Goto. I'm also unsure if they want to put the IC champ over the World Champ. But it's an easy way for Okada to lose points, because Goto won't be set up for a world title match after a non-title win.

I got Ibushi vs. Okada for 2nd. If we had to, i say Ibushi goes over, leading to a world title match at the October PPV where Okada gets his win back. You have the rubber match between the two for sometime after Wrestle Kingdom.

As for Elgin i got him at bottom with 6pts along with Yujiro. Honma at 2.
► Show Spoiler

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:42 pm

Rather than filling out my bracket with what I think will happen I should have just fantasy booked my true wrestling fantasy where Bad Luck Fale squashes the entire block, only to have his arm broken in 30 seconds by the NAGATA LOCK in the final.

Goat

Post by Goat » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:26 pm

JML wrote:
Max Traction wrote:Quick question: what happens if the IWGP champion wins G1? Has this ever happened before?
In this era of New Japan, nope but Muta and Kensuke Sasaki have won it during their title reigns.

I doubt Gedo and Jado would do that with Okada cause they have emphasized that the winner gets the Dome Show Main Event where as when Choshu was booking it, it was assumed that would happen but not all the time.
The reason Keiji Muto and Kensuke Sasaki won in 1995 and 2000 was because Nobuhiko Takada and Toshiaki Kawada were being brought in so they wanted their champion as strong as possible.

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:51 pm

I'm really hyped for this, I believe Tanahashi is winning it.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:44 pm

I've totally had a re-think on my scenario......

A-Block: Ibushi, Styles and Tanahashi all in contention on the final night. Ibushi beats Makabe but needs Tanahashi vs Styles to end up as a time limit draw. They've not done a draw for ages and I could see them surprising us with that very scenario, to put Ibushi through to the finals.

Tanahashi finishes in the runner up slot, due to a win on the first night over Ibushi, whilst I think Ibushi will avenge his loss to Styles at Invasion Attack.

B-Block: Goto, Okada and Nakamura all in contention on the final night. Nagata plays spoiler and ruins Goto's chance of reaching the finals. Nakamura then beats Okada in the Block decider, which also allows Goto to sneak into the runner up spot, due to him beating Okada earlier in the tournament.

Nakamura beats Ibushi in the finals. Whilst the runners up match gives us Goto vs Tanahashi, if Tanahashi wins he instantly puts himself in contention for Goto's IC title, if Goto wins that match, it's further build towards that champion vs champion showdown with Okada, that they've started to tease.

They have the two Destruction shows in Kobe and Okayama scheduled for September. But they also usually schedule King of Pro Wrestling at Sumo Hall in October, and I could see Okada vs Goto headlining that show.