NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10 (Card & Pre-Show Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10 Card

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:50 pm

pol wrote:
Garuda wrote:As ever, it'll be good if they can sustain interest and care in the titles. New Japan's great at that.
They're great at doing it when they want to. But there's already more belts in the company that they don't care about than belts that they do.

Meltzer said he really didn't like the decision on the latest WOR btw. Amazing what that guy will get himself all worked up over. ;)
Since this was a sideways shot at something I said earlier in the thread, i'll respond.

I think at minimum the trios thing will serve the exact same role the NWA heavy & NWA tag titles served over the last few years. It'll be the 3rd match on the show, and nobody will ever think about them before or after those matches. It'll be a minor little deal to keep undercard guys and old dudes busy. So I think the titles are completely harmless, and at minimum will give a few undercard matches this year a little bit of meaning, the same way all of those Rob Conway matches gave Tenzan & Kojima something to do.

If they put more care & attention into it, great. Even better. At first I think they will, since it's a new toy and all, but eventually I think it'll settle into what I wrote above.

The thing about people getting themselves all worked up, was mostly due to the initial batshit crazy reactions on Twitter that I saw.

Two of the NWA titles are gone, and this thing basically replaces those. Personally i'm kind of excited about it because i'd rather see meaningful matches on the undercards than rando matches, but overall it's hard to see why anyone would be anything more than somewhat indifferent whether you think it's a decent idea or a bad one. At the end of the day they'll mean very little.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:29 pm

Better to have Six-Man Tags that mean something than Eight-Man Tags that mean nothing.

tamaimbo

Post by tamaimbo » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:22 am

Sorry, I'm out of the loop a little - are NWA titles not being defended in New Japan anymore?

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:05 am

You know what's the problem with this 6-man tag title? Once you enter the division, it'll be impossible to get out, Gedo will keep it as separate entity just like every other division. So, on one side it'll attach some meaning to certain mid-card matches, but at the same time it'll cement some wrestlers even further into prelim & midcard hell.

sternness

Post by sternness » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:54 am

Chismo wrote:You know what's the problem with this 6-man tag title? Once you enter the division, it'll be impossible to get out, Gedo will keep it as separate entity just like every other division. So, on one side it'll attach some meaning to certain mid-card matches, but at the same time it'll cement some wrestlers even further into prelim & midcard hell.
Pretty much this. Like hey if you want to try to spin this title as something positive that's fine but don't complain when guys aren't being pushed up the card because Gedo's put them in that little midcard box and they'll never get out because they're not Okada, Tanahashi. Nakamura or AJ.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:54 am

As a newcomer to New Japan (I hopped on board with Wrestle Kingdom 9 and pretty quickly became a NJPW World junkie) I find it fascinating that there are people who are fans of the product but who are nonetheless apathetic about the Okada/Tanahashi main event. I mean, considering how great every one of their other matches together has been and just how epic the build for this particular match has been I would say that the Wrestle Kingdom 10 match has a legitimate shot at being the greatest match I've ever seen, and how often can you say that? I can't imagine that that match will be anything less than a strong MOTY contender - AND there are two other matches on the show (AJ/Nakamura and Ishii/Shibata) that seem like they will be in the **** range at minimum (unless AJ's back really fucks things up, but after the Lethal match in ROH I have faith that he'll be able to tough it out). I'm pumped for this show.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:28 am

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:55 pm

rovert wrote:
Ibushi seems like a logical choice.

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:04 pm

I was thinking Tajiri.
Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:40 pm

I just thought Ibushi, based on the Omega tie in.

What makes you think tajiri?

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:28 pm

Morten VH wrote:I just thought Ibushi, based on the Omega tie in.

What makes you think tajiri?
KUSHIDA and Tajiri are homeboys. Tajiri took him under his wing during their HUSTLE days.

sternness

Post by sternness » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:04 pm

Frank Olson wrote:As a newcomer to New Japan (I hopped on board with Wrestle Kingdom 9 and pretty quickly became a NJPW World junkie) I find it fascinating that there are people who are fans of the product but who are nonetheless apathetic about the Okada/Tanahashi main event. I mean, considering how great every one of their other matches together has been and just how epic the build for this particular match has been I would say that the Wrestle Kingdom 10 match has a legitimate shot at being the greatest match I've ever seen, and how often can you say that? I can't imagine that that match will be anything less than a strong MOTY contender - AND there are two other matches on the show (AJ/Nakamura and Ishii/Shibata) that seem like they will be in the **** range at minimum (unless AJ's back really fucks things up, but after the Lethal match in ROH I have faith that he'll be able to tough it out). I'm pumped for this show.
I wouldn't call the build to Tanahashi/Okada 'epic' by any means, that's really stretching it.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:43 pm

sternness wrote:
Frank Olson wrote:As a newcomer to New Japan (I hopped on board with Wrestle Kingdom 9 and pretty quickly became a NJPW World junkie) I find it fascinating that there are people who are fans of the product but who are nonetheless apathetic about the Okada/Tanahashi main event. I mean, considering how great every one of their other matches together has been and just how epic the build for this particular match has been I would say that the Wrestle Kingdom 10 match has a legitimate shot at being the greatest match I've ever seen, and how often can you say that? I can't imagine that that match will be anything less than a strong MOTY contender - AND there are two other matches on the show (AJ/Nakamura and Ishii/Shibata) that seem like they will be in the **** range at minimum (unless AJ's back really fucks things up, but after the Lethal match in ROH I have faith that he'll be able to tough it out). I'm pumped for this show.
I wouldn't call the build to Tanahashi/Okada 'epic' by any means, that's really stretching it.
I think it's the most well built match in wrestling right now.

Cocky Okada gets taunted out of the Dome last year, has to start from scratch, become a "man" by going through Fale, winning the title back, and the epic performance from both a kayfabe and non kayfabe perspective vs Tenryu (saving a match that was this close to potential disaster), and now has the one guy he can't seem to beat in the Dome, his first career rival, standing directly between him and ace. All of the interactions between the two have been great.

I'm super hyped for the match.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:16 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
sternness wrote:
I think it's the most well built match in wrestling right now.

Cocky Okada gets taunted out of the Dome last year, has to start from scratch, become a "man" by going through Fale, winning the title back, and the epic performance from both a kayfabe and non kayfabe perspective vs Tenryu (saving a match that was this close to potential disaster), and now has the one guy he can't seem to beat in the Dome, his first career rival, standing directly between him and ace. All of the interactions between the two have been great.

I'm super hyped for the match.
I am genuinely curious what the people who aren't super hyped for this match need to spice it up for them. I mean you've got almost four years of history built into this thing, all of the previous matches between the two have been terrific (even the WK7 match, which I don't love as much as a lot of other people, is at least in the **** range), and all of Tanahashi and Okada's interactions in the tag matches over the last few months have been really heated and intense. And even if you're annoyed that we've had the same guys in the main event in 3 of the last 4 Tokyo Dome shows this is clearly being built as the conclusion of their rivalry. I'm actually pretty new to New Japan so I've actually only seen the seven matches between Tanahashi and Okada in the last year (and I've watched them all at least twice now) and I'm still not sick of them, so I just don't get the apathy from a certain portion of the longtime fans.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:44 pm

You'll barely hear from anyone that someone did something wrong in Tanahashi vs. Okada rivalry, because in reality all the steps and phases have been logical and done in a compelling manner, it's just that New Japan booking was ridiculously rigid and stale in 2015, which culminated in lots of super predictable outcomes and shit like that, so naturally many fans feel the booking hit and WK simply doesn't feel like that super big attraction yet, and the certain lack of main event hype is just a collateral victim of general apathy.