NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10 (Card & Pre-Show Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10 (Card & Pre-Show Discussion)

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:37 am

Match order included! Anticipation levels for each match? Match you're least looking forward to? Most? IT'S DOME TIME!

0) Battle Royal featuring an unknown amount of participants — 1 entrant per 60 seconds

1) IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly (c) vs. Trent Baretta & Rocky Romero vs. Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson vs. Matt Sydal & Ricochet

2) Toru Yano, “X” & “X” vs. Tama Tonga, Yujiro Takahashi & Bad Luck Fale

3) Michael Elgin vs. Jay Lethal (If Jay Lethal is ROH World Champion on 1/4, this carries out as a title match)

4) IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship Kenny Omega (c) vs. KUSHIDA

5) IWGP Tag Team Championship Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson (c) vs. Tomoaki Honma & Togi Makabe

6) Hirooki Goto vs. Tetsuya Naito

7) NEVER Openweight Championship Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs. Katsuyori Shibata

8) IWGP Intercontinental Championship Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. AJ Styles

9) IWGP Heavyweight Championship Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

abrasiveobelisksa

Re: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10 Card

Post by abrasiveobelisksa » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:47 am

Predictions:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:
0) Battle Royal featuring an unknown amount of participants — 1 entrant per 60 seconds Satoshi Kojima

1) IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly (c) vs. Trent Baretta & Rocky Romero vs. Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson vs. Matt Sydal & Ricochet

3) Michael Elgin vs. Jay Lethal (If Jay Lethal is ROH World Champion on 1/4, this carries out as a title match)

5) IWGP Tag Team Championship Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson (c) vs. Tomoaki Honma & Togi Makabe

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:50 am

I'm really intrigued to see who Yano's partners are. If I had to guess, I would say Tenzan & Kojima (since they're two of the more higher profile guys not on the card).

Also, if this is indeed the final card, then I guess the rumored Liger vs. Tiger Mask NWA World Jr. Heavyweight Title Match is taking place at New Year's Dash like this past year with Liger vs. El Desperado.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:04 am

Looks like a show with a ton of potential. Ishii/Shibata should be fun as hell.

Predictions in bold

Saw some speculation about this on Twitter, but is the fact they haven't announced anything yet attendance figures wise a worrying sign?
Last edited by Quentin Moody on Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:22 am

People didn't get my point on Twitter (big surprise) but Kota Ibushi's absence, while known, is still disheartening. I always had some hope he'd be back in time, maybe it wasn't as bad as they thought, they could hide him in a tag or something but nope. He's just not there. It's a big hole and a big blow for someone who was so important to last year's show.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:26 am

DXvsNWO wrote:I'm really intrigued to see who Yano's partners are. If I had to guess, I would say Tenzan & Kojima (since they're two of the more higher profile guys not on the card).

Also, if this is indeed the final card, then I guess the rumored Liger vs. Tiger Mask NWA World Jr. Heavyweight Title Match is taking place at New Year's Dash like this past year with Liger vs. El Desperado.
It's taking place on one of the K Hall shows before the dome.

This card definitely has the potential to be as good or better than last year's. It's definitely a high bar, but the top two matches could be just as good, while the undercard stuff is more appealing. Hoping AJ is in good shape going in because that match could obviously be incredible.

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:29 am

Doing the VoW special of 1-10 gimmick

Royal Rambo - 8 - Just the surprise entrants alone ensures this will be a ton of fun. Plus hopefully the winner gets a title shot of some kind. Prediction: YOSHI-HASHI because he's awesome and I love him

Jrs Tag Titles - 0 - I could close my eyes and literally know exactly how this match will play out. Not saying it'll be embarrassing or anything and I like some of these guys, loathe some of the others, but I don't understand how folks could possibly feel juice for this. Prediction: Doesn't matter but let's go with RPG Vice here.

Trios - 2 - 2 for the mystery partners. I have every expectation this won't be a good match. Predictions: The mystery partners are Akebono and Bob Sapp and they get the win.

ROH Title - 3 - I don't like Lethal at all. I don't like ROH at all. I'm not as negative on Elgin as Chismo and look to see how he performs. However I can't imagine the Dome crowd caring at all about this and I don't expect this match to be great. Prediction: Lethal to set up him dropping it next month in Japan.

Omega vs. KUSHIDA - 6 - I'm mildly intrigued by this match actually, despite a bizarre road through the booking if they are given enough time KUSHIDA could guide him to his best match yet. This number would have been like a 9 had KUSHIDA never won the strap though. Prediction: KUSHIDA

Tag Titles - 7 - For the moment though with Gedo nothing's obvious. I also think the moment will far overshadow what I think will be a very average match. Prediction: GBH

Goto/Naito - 5 - This is entirely because Goto is my favorite NJPW wrestler. I'm so done with Naito's gimmick as mentioned and the entirety of his heat has been built with Shibata. I really think this speaks volumes about how absolutely awful EVIL has been that they shoehorned Shibata into that Ishii match instead of having a tag match. Prediction: Goto, ending this feud for good.

Ishii/Shibata - 5 - Now I know this seems rather low and both of these are absolutely among my top 5 of NJPW guys. But as mentioned we can suspect what this match will give us. This match is like a steak but microwaved for the 4th time for me. Plus I don't put the odds high at all that Shibata is champion two months from now even he does win. So really, who cares? Prediction: Ishii

Nakamura/Styles - 9 - My general dissonance of Nakamura aside, this has to be the most anticipated match unless you're just a huge Okada fan and will defend him no matter what. Even if this is one of 2 great matches he has this year, I have no doubt he'll show up on this big stage and should by all rights be a tremendous match. Styles' injury has me admittedly worried with Final Battle in between but not enough to be down on him. Can't wait to see this. Prediction: Nakamura

Main Event - 7 - It feels like we've been here before. And this time there's almost no intrigue into the finish. Last year I was one of very few to predict Tanahashi would win. This year I think there's absolutely no chance Okada doesn't win this match. Also my side prediction is there will be some kind of angle as a callback after the match to where someone completely random debuts a new personality and challenges Okada for the title. In my dream world it's Kamaitachi, but it won't be in reality. The match should be no worse than pretty good and last year proved they can be great. I'm just not as big of a supporter of Okada as most, he's not someone who introduced me to puroresu or anything like that, so I'm sure him getting his big moment is a draw for most people, just not for me. Prediction: Okada
Last edited by DylanZero on Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:07 am

Disclaimer: I am very excited for Wrestle Kingdom 10.

But those who are unhappy about repetition, whether they just like everything in wrestling to happen once, or otherwise, are justified to a degree. I will now attempt to list everything that's similar from last year's Wrestle Kingdom to this one's.

Tanahashi and Okada wrestle in the main event for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship.

Nakamura defends the IWGP Intercontinental Championship in the semi-main event.

Ishii defends the NEVER Openweight Championship.

Tetsuya Naito wrestles someone in a non-title singles match with no immediate consequences.

Bullet Club defend the tag straps.

Kenny Omega is in the IWGP Junior title match.

Yano and mystery friends wrestle the Bullet Club in a 6-man tag. Two thirds of his opposition are the exact same men (though that's probably for the best, considering last year).

reDRagon defend the junior tag straps in a four-way that opens the main show. It also involves Young Bucks and Rocky Romero.

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:10 am

Looks like a great show. Like Kevin said, the undercard looks better than last year. Ibushi not being on the card is a bummer. What a strange year for him. I can't wait for the show, should be a another fun night.

I'm curious about the attendance. New Japan is more popular than last year, at least globally, but the sentiment isn't as positive as it was last year. But I don't know if western popularity translates to ticket sales or even how the Japanese fans feel about the current product.

ceftaxias

Post by ceftaxias » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:11 am

10/10 for every match, I'm falling hook line and sinker for Gedo's propaganda

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:02 am

As far as the card being repetitive, Okada/Tanahashi it the final match of one of the best in-ring feuds of the century, if not all time, IC match is completely new, regardless of Nakamura being champion, Ishii/Shibata haven't fought in a year and a half or something, and "never" for a title. I don't know, the glass is half full for me. Sure there's similarities, but they all look like an improvement over last year to me.

Here's something I've been thinking about. Is there any chance New Japan/Gedo/whoever used 2015 as kind of a modified repeat of 2014 in order to introduce the product to new viewers with NJWorld?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:14 am

Detailed thoughts later, but the card looks incredible, and far deeper than last year's show. I think it has the potential to be great. Hyped for every match except for the IWGP tag title bout.

Twitter shit on me for being excited though, so what do I know?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:18 am

Drew Wardlaw wrote: Here's something I've been thinking about. Is there any chance New Japan/Gedo/whoever used 2015 as kind of a modified repeat of 2014 in order to introduce the product to new viewers with NJWorld?
Not a chance.

I'm baffled by the repetitive talk. Most of the card feels fresh. This is the wrong card to use that critique. We're delving into "shit people say" territory with that here. There is this weird trend in all of wrestling (not just NJPW) these days where people seem to shit on anything that isn't a first time match.

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:33 am

Are you really baffled considering all the similarities posted like 3 posts above you to last year?

Every one of these matches has at least a potential fatal flaw outside of the Rambo that someone could feel iffy about, though I won't bury you for being excited I think it's kind of crazy to not see all the repetitive when pointed to you right there.

FTR that's not even my big problem, even with repetitiveness or flat out bad booking if the wrestling is great I think it can overcome all that at the end of the day. I just don't think most of the matches will be very good outside of the top two and the Rambo and none of the undercard feels hot at all. (Which could provide an ironic similarity to last year in and of itself.)
Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:52 am

DylanZero wrote:Every one of these matches has at least a potential fatal flaw outside of the Rambo that someone could feel iffy about
Care to expand on this a bit? I'm not trying to argue with you, just curious because I don't see it. Or maybe, what would you do to improve the card?

I don't know, like I get that there's technically similarities in the card, but the context for the matches and some of the opponents are pretty different. I'm stoked.