Does Ryusuke Taguchi have go away heat?

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Angry216

Re: Does Ryusuke Taguchi have go away heat?

Post by Angry216 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:52 pm

Still my favorite junior(cue the looks.) But when I said that, this was years ago when he was really, really, really, really good. Which is unfortunately something that people forget because Taguchi's so into, well, whatever he does now. But the fact is he hasn't been the same since missing like nine months from middle 2013 to early 2014. Taguchi at his best is the 2011 BOSJ Finals against Ibushi. Remembering how great he used to be is probably why I'm able to tolerate him.

RajahDDT

Post by RajahDDT » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:22 pm

The ass-based offense is an obvious, if largely unspoken, tribute to big-name New Japan alumni Koshinaka; it ain't going anywhere. As for the topic at hand...Joe hit the nail on the head. He's really weird. He's either awful or he's great. Sort of like Sakuraba, except there it's apparent that shitty Sakuraba matches are shitty because he isn't even trying, and when he does try his matches are good to even great. With Taguchi he's trying 24/7; sometimes he hits, sometimes he misses, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for it.

WDR

Post by WDR » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:58 pm

Believe it or not, I do not like comedy spots, matches, or wrestlers...at all. That said though, Taguchi doesn't bother me at all. Why? Well, I see him as a mix between The Boogie Woogie Man Jimmy Valiant, and Iceman King Parsons, both of who could really go in the ring, besides their over the top personalities. I understand that this doesn't fit in NJPW really well, and it's why I love NJPW, but I think I "get" what Taguchi is going for. As for the assfense, I don't see the big deal. Why doesn't it make as much sense as someone constantly using knees or super kicks? Every move isn't always played for laughs. I also think he can wrestle pretty well too. I'll admit though, I'd prefer that he be more serious, but as is, I can handle him.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:14 pm

I hated Taguchi when he got pushed. But he's completely fine with me as an 10-man tag opener guy. But if they're gonna give him another run, they better change that silly gimmick.

AndyItwaru

Post by AndyItwaru » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:53 pm

To me, this is a guy you send to Noah or CMLL. He has talent but for whatever reason squanders it.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:43 am

mvh6 wrote:I hated Taguchi when he got pushed. But he's completely fine with me as an 10-man tag opener guy. But if they're gonna give him another run, they better change that silly gimmick.
Completely agree with that assessment, I can tolerate his comedy routine in the 'creative have nothing for you' opening tags but he shouldn't be anywhere near the Junior title.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:55 am

This current gimmick is arguably the best (or the most interesting at least) Taguchi edition in over a half a decade.

CheezeWhiz

Post by CheezeWhiz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:45 pm

He was fine at Fantasticamania this year, but otherwise I want to avoid his matches

Guigle

Post by Guigle » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:06 pm

He is awful with this new ass stealing gimmick character. No more single matches please.

But it was highly entertaining to see him get his ass kicked by Nakamura in the tag match in Singapore.

br26
VOW Staff Member

Post by br26 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:44 am

with this gimmick he's fine on openers.

as a legit challenger to anything/anyone? no.

jesse

Post by jesse » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:06 pm

Angry216 wrote:Still my favorite junior(cue the looks.) But when I said that, this was years ago when he was really, really, really, really good. Which is unfortunately something that people forget because Taguchi's so into, well, whatever he does now. But the fact is he hasn't been the same since missing like nine months from middle 2013 to early 2014. Taguchi at his best is the 2011 BOSJ Finals against Ibushi. Remembering how great he used to be is probably why I'm able to tolerate him.
I'd agree with this. Taguchi's never really been the same in ring since coming back from that bad hip injury. I think people are a little too harsh on him. He's a fun enough guy that tries his best. It makes me sad how many people hate on him.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:25 pm

I started watching NJPW last year, so far I gotta say he's just been there. I'm not particularly a fan of the comedy but it doesn't enrage me either. I do agree that his ideal position is on multi man tag openers also.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:44 am

Random Taguchi match plug: His match with KUSHIDA at last year's Destruction was quite amazing.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:40 pm

Chismo wrote:Random Taguchi match plug: His match with KUSHIDA at last year's Destruction was quite amazing.
I'd go along with that, indeed that was a very good match. That's the one where Taguchi won the Junior belt from KUSHIDA, after KUSHIDA's blatantly unplanned Junior title reign. Taguchi's title reign after that stunk, but take nothing away from that match.

br26
VOW Staff Member

Post by br26 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:03 am

I will admit that was one of Taguchi's better matches I've seen with him recently. The match with Omega earlier this year was pretty good too.

Really it's not even his work, just the dumb gimmick.