The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
rovert

Re: The BritWres thread (Big Daddy for HoF)

Post by rovert » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:14 pm

Never really have known Drew to double book himself. But he's definitely over ambitious at times. He can be in the US for EVOLVE and TNA then in Scotland for IWC and stuff.

themib

Post by themib » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:01 am

Good show at Southside tonight, though the second half was significantly better than the first by a huge gulf. Joseph Conners is so slow and plodding, he's not over as champion to the point that they only trusted him with the match before intermission. His match with Stixx just DRAGGED. X-Pac was a passenger in his tag match, he's still seriously injured, but really wanted to make his booking. Andrews, Kirby and Pete Dunne would have been a fun three way, but they added in Chris Tyler who's still super green, botched left and right, and nearly caved Kirby's skull in at one point.

Second half was great, with Tyler Bate having a fun big man/little man match with Drew Galloway, though not as amazing as Mike Bailey at BOLA, it was still very good. Andrew Everett and Trevor Lee played great smarmy heels against the Hunter Brothers, and Austin Aries had a really good match with Will Ospreay, though typically with multiple import shows, Aries inexplicably went over. Main event was an interesting concept with two ladder matches happening "at once", but the fans seemed to understand it. Great brawl throughout the building, and it established Nixon Newell as the new top female star, even though she went in as the least known of the four with Jimmy Havoc, Kay Lee Ray and El Ligero.

It was an 845 sellout, though I'm not a fan of leisure centre/basketball court shows, as they almost always struggle to generate or maintain an atmosphere, but the fans really got into the main event.

kjharris

Post by kjharris » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:20 pm

Morten VH wrote:Drew Galloway cancelled his booking here in Denmark (a show i was going to), citing travel issues as the problem. Then wrestled a show in Glasgow on the same night. It's really weird because he's been advertised for both the Denmark show and the Glasgow show for quite some time, so he must have known that he was double booked. But he cited these travel issues as why he cancelled his Denmark booking some 6 hours before showtime.
It was at an ICW show in Sheffield where he wrestled last Sunday (I was there), not Glasgow. He was never advertised for the ICW event (I believe). Indeed, in his promo to insert himself in a match between Big Damo and BT Gunn he said his appearance was a last minute decision due to problems getting to Denmark for a show he was booked on. That said, it did come across as a pre-planned surprise.

Padje

Post by Padje » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:22 pm

I followed a twitter hole all the way down and found out you can have an intergender match of your own with one of the Owenses (or just get her to stamp on your balls, whatever you're into)

http://www.irishdom.co.uk/fetishes/4574851339

themib

Post by themib » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:22 pm

That could be an excellent VoW journalistic endeavour - we'll pay for one of them to fly over to Lanza.

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:22 pm

Jack Jester does that stuff too. Leah doing it seems like an open secret going by her Twitter.

It explains the Owens Twins having an association with Gary Oxborrow. British Pro Wrestling's creep of creeps.

Padje

Post by Padje » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:00 am

A trip to her flat for a session should be part of ICW's Fear and Loathing Axxess next year.

themib

Post by themib » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:01 am

I had a fun (if very long) night at HOPE Wrestling in Milton Keynes last night. The room at the Wonderworld nightclub was kind of like a mini Evoque in Preston, with a nice chandelier that did a strobe light show for everyone's entrance.

Main event was a good (if somewhat stereotypical) brawl between Jack Jester and Joseph Conners. The last Conners match I saw bored me to tears, but thankfully Jester going round the building with him and teasing a corkscrew stabbing kept things interesting enough. The GZRS and the Hunter Brothers had a complete comedy match based around chokeslam attempts, low blows and (of course) a slip n slide, where The GZRS used referee Paz (who also refs PROGRESS) to deliver the sliding headbutt... which allegedly killed him.

Doug Williams put on a fun turn, putting over LJ Heron, who's a solid if somewhat unspectacular heel, and Jigsaw was over teaming with Ryan Smile in a good tag team match. And everyone's favourite dominatrix Leah Owens was on the card in a six woman gauntlet match. Nixon Newell and Viper also took part, and they put SHIMMER star Liberty over - just as well given several people from Norwich made the trip solely to come and see her.

I went mainly to break up a long period between my regular rota of shows, and probably won't make this a regular trip, but I didn't regret going... other than it being late November, and creeping below zero in temperature. Milton Keynes is a hell of a strange place though, pretty much an American city transplanted into England with all the grid roads.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:15 pm

Yup. I got real good at roundabouts what with learning to drive there.

themib

Post by themib » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:59 pm

A couple of offers from PCW on their mailing list...

*If you're on the mailing list, click the mini-PCW/ROH poster on the left hand side, click "RENT", click "APPLY PROMO CODE", and enter "PCWmail" to watch a free PCW/ROH show from 2014

*From 9pm tonight, PCW are starting their Black Friday Sale - prices are slashed to up to 80% off, with free postage on all orders over £5; shirts and DVDs will start from as low as £1.99

Padje

Post by Padje » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:56 am

My mate is putting on a wrestling show in a pub in Milton Keynes in January. It's called GOOD Wrestling and current names announced include Doug Williams, Stixx, Nixon and Pastor William Eaver. There're other good names booked but I'm not allowed to say.

Hopefully people will come to it? The lads involved have a history of promoting gigs, and are very creative so I'm optimistic.

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:20 am

What happened to Jimmy Havoc's end of year hiatus/move to the US? Still a thing?

themib

Post by themib » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:12 pm

rovert wrote:What happened to Jimmy Havoc's end of year hiatus/move to the US? Still a thing?
He's wrestling "Santa Claus" for IPW:UK the weekend before Christmas. It's certainly been a lighter schedule for him lately, but I have a feeling he makes his PROGRESS return in Manchester, as that debut show there needs something big beyond Ciampa/ZSJ.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:37 pm

There's been recent rumours of Kay Lee Ray being NXT-bound, and this match on December 27th for Southside is adding to those rumours. Wouldn't be surprised if it's her last indy match, as I can't see WWE being interested in El Ligero for some reason, though his work ethic would be a great trait.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:03 pm

If she was heading to WWE would she be doing intergender though?